PDA

View Full Version : Values to color question

FryGuy982
04-26-2005, 05:42 PM
When I draw or paint in photoshop I find it easier to just paint with values as that way there are no colors distracting from the image I'm trying to create. However, when I am finished with the image I'm not sure how to turn my values to color without repainting the whole thing.

This link kinda illustrates my issue.
http://magnusmugen.free.fr/forums2/index.php?topic=120.from1114194365;topicseen#msg821

What I have tried in the past was "color balance" or "hue/sat" but those only shade areas that are specifically black or grey, leaving highlighted areas white.

Also, I have tried painting layers and transforming them to "color" mode, but that doesn't look right either :(

Anyone have some good tips on how to solve this issue?

EraserX
04-26-2005, 05:50 PM
First off, I recomend you start painting in color and if you need to check your values, set up a Greyscale preview so that Ctrl+Y will toggle back and forth between CMYK and Greyscale. However...if you insist on working without color and adding it later, I suggest you learn to take advantage of gradient maps. You can map colors to values exactly the way you want without them being completely linear like a layer set to 'color'. You can use gradient maps from the Image menu at the top or as adjustment layers from the bottom of the layer palette.

CGTalk Moderation
04-26-2005, 05:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.