PDA

View Full Version : Architecture: Condo Buildings (vray)

digitalx3d
10-05-2002, 01:26 AM
Here's a 4 day project I just finished up. The final model took 4.5 hours to render at 9K. From start to finish it took 33.5 hours. It's a lakeside condo/townhome project located in Tempe, AZ. All the landscaping was done in Photoshop. Any crit? comments? questions?

http://www.digitalx3d.com/ttl/TempeTownLake_final.jpg

John Pruden
Digital-X

bigbad
10-05-2002, 02:44 AM
Great job. :beer:

Ready for movie. :applause:

zigmout
10-05-2002, 03:04 AM
great!..but maybe textures are too much clean...?

el_diablo
10-05-2002, 03:16 AM
Looks very nice. Nothing to crit. Blends good with the bg.

I would like to say that most clients in my expirience dont like dirty textures ;). Especialy if they need to raise money from investers with those pictures for the project or similar.

jfornasar
10-05-2002, 03:21 AM
John,

It looks like you put your reference photo up by mistake...
nice work.

zigmout, I'd have to agree with el_diablo, they want these to look "perfect".

Another thing, I've lived in New York City all my life, grunging up my models is second nature. When I visited in Arizona (and most of the southwest, with the exception of L.A.) I was pretty amazed at how everything had a clean look.

Baal
10-05-2002, 03:27 AM
Impressive lighting! I must say you have one very nice picture there... thumbs up! :thumbsup:

say-g
10-05-2002, 04:09 AM
now make it blow up!

MK2
10-05-2002, 04:30 AM
say-g is right... burn it down, blow it up what ever... just destroy it!

EAP!
10-05-2002, 05:09 AM
that looks awsome!

um the grass looks a little flat at the top of the hill on the right side kind of looks like a grass wall. And, although you did the plants in post some don't quite match the lighting you may want to just color burn some of them so they blend in better... if you really want to get crazy you can put a very very subtle green reflection on the buildings wherever plants are close to the wall(faking G.I.)... or you could just show what you got because it is very impressive for a 4 day project.

great work

-EAP!

Rye
10-05-2002, 07:36 AM
that looks great, nice job! I agree about the plants though, they look strange having the shadows on the left side, just flip em around :). What do you mean by 9k? 9,000 pixels wide? If so then 4 hours is really fast! Considering this is for a client, I'm actually suprised at how old and dirty you made the stone/concrete look in the front, it looks awesome though!

Sphinxx_cz
10-05-2002, 08:30 AM
It looks really good. If you did a little more with the texture, you would have one realistic picture.

pants
10-05-2002, 08:52 AM
It looks like you put your reference photo up by mistake...

could not have said it better. truly wonderful. if i could do that in 40 days/weeks/years i would be impressed. congratulations on a job well done.

digitalx3d
10-07-2002, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the all the comments everyone! I couldn't agree more about the plants. It's the part of this whole process I hate the most. The lighting on them never (or rarely) matches your environment. Plus it's just a royal pain in the a$$ to plop them all in there. I was getting a little careless towards the end as the deadline was only an hour or so away.

The concrete wall in the foreground, the bridge behind the building, the grass, lightposts all came from separate photos. The cruddy thing is that when you're image is 9000 pixels wide, you're photographic elements get blurred when you size them up to fit in your image. So, you can't see it so much in this image, but when it's printed on the Durst Lambda at 150 dpi and 5 ft wide it'll be very apparent when you look at it up close. I'll have to tell the architect to keep it roped off so you can't get closer than 10 feet!

Anyway, any other questions, let me konw. Thanks again for all the kind words!

John P.

raine
10-09-2002, 12:27 AM
Very nice image... i am creating a render of my house and cant seem to get the light to react the way i want it to... i notice you have the effect down nice.. maybe you can tell me what you shader for the stucco is ... or how you made it? is it simple or a complex shader? thanks for your time and very impressive work :P:applause:

Najd
10-09-2002, 12:33 AM
Wow, really amazing.

The only thing are those plants and trees, they repeat too much and look really flat, but They're always this way on architectural renders I think :)

Greaaat work :buttrock:

facial
10-09-2002, 08:59 AM
Well done :airguitar :airguitar :applause:

digitalx3d
10-09-2002, 04:29 PM
Thanks guys! The stucco shader is really pretty simple. I just used a couple noise maps. One that is about .3 inches and another that reduces the effect of that map that's about 36 inches. I have also gotten nice results using Blur's Supernoise map, and using that in conjunction with regular noise maps, but it REALLY slowed the renders down. I've also used Vray's displacement for stucco and that looks pretty good too, and even renders faster than the Supernoise, but it takes longer to setup. I didn't have much time on this project, so I just went with the simple solution that renders the fastest.

I agree about the plants. It is my least favorite part of the project, because it's a pain in the ass to do, AND it doesn't look all that great either. I just pick the lesser of 3 or 4 evils. I've experimented with Speedtree and gotten mixed results. Talk about slow render times!

John P.

blendertrout
10-09-2002, 07:00 PM
Ha ha! I looked at the image and thought damn thoes are some nice little appartments. I wouldnt mind living there! Then I read the text of your post, recognised the setting and hell, I could live there! In point of fact I live about a block from where your project is going in! I'm not sure why this amuses me so but It's nice to see a post form someone who happens to be in the same town! Checked out your web site, nice stuff. Good work good luck and hey, see you arround. :beer:

robot9000
10-09-2002, 07:43 PM
Great work! I almost want to live there! I dig the lighting and background. How long dig it take you?
peace and best of luck...
robot9000
:airguitar

digitalx3d
10-09-2002, 11:20 PM
Hey! How about that! Fellow Phoenicians!! Two of em!

Hey Joel! Haven't talked to you in a while! I'm checking out your site now. Looks like you've finally had the time to get it up and running. Is it your full time occupation now?

John P.

Hysteria
10-10-2002, 12:28 AM
Looks a bit too perfect, maybe you should make a few imperfections but yea very very nice :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.