PDA

View Full Version : Art Movies

FreshFish801
04-26-2005, 12:55 AM
I think Hollywood should start making some art movies that inspire the creative mind. What do you guys think ?

:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Lunatique
04-26-2005, 01:39 AM
Define "art movies."

FreshFish801
04-26-2005, 03:27 PM
Movies about famous Great Masters and their lives like ; Leonardo Da Vinci, Rembrant, Van Gogh...etc

LEEBLEEB
04-26-2005, 03:50 PM
I think Hollywood should start making some art movies that inspire the creative mind. What do you guys think ?

:curious:I doubt Hollywood could not help themselves and turn the life of Leonardo da vinci. Into some cheesey romp with leonardo being played, by ben afleck and his sexy mistress with a big arse Jlopez playing mona lisa.

yonna
04-26-2005, 04:18 PM
Girl with a pearl earring (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335119/) has a weak story about the life of Vermeer in a very beautiful setting, cant be more hollywood-esque than that.

LadyMedusa
04-26-2005, 06:29 PM
Watch History channel or a history program. They sometimes got little movies about artists.

ashakarc
04-26-2005, 06:54 PM

Hollywood..inspire the creative mind ?!! bizarre combo!

ThePhotographer
04-26-2005, 11:31 PM
I don't think Hollywood would ever do that - there's not enough money in it ....

Lunatique
04-27-2005, 03:54 AM
I think you guys should do a bit of research. There were difinitely films made about famous artists--but since they were not mainstream films, most of you have never seen them or heard of them. Off the top of my head, I can think of films about Van Gough, Jackson Pollack, Rodin, Camille Claudel..etc. There were also films about composers like Mozart, Beethovan. Of course, also films about writers.

You guys don't give enough credit to the world outside of our little circle. There are plenty of talented, knowledeable, and passionate people in both mainstream and non-mainstream genres in entertainment, and they are no less commited to furthering the arts than any of us. Remember, filmmakers are constantly fighting battles against the studios and the executives to make the kind of films they want to make, but often they are forced to make big-budget garbage with lots of gunfights and explosions. This is why you look to independent films instead for innovation and depth.

ashakarc
04-27-2005, 04:17 AM
The type of inspiring movies of artists' life and work are normally found in documentaries. Camille Claudel (French), Amadeus (Mozart), Lust for Life (Van Gogh), Pollock, etc..are all drama. They are inspiring though, and Camille Claudel is my favourite; but as a work of drama rather than about the artist her/him-self. There are always heightened moments in drama that are fictional. You are right, there are great filmmakers out there, but I guess the term Hollywood is becoming synonymous with expensive drama, easy to swollow and digest with minimal inspiring moments. There are always exceptions..<>..

FreshFish801
04-27-2005, 10:12 PM
I like your oppinions, we need more people to answer on this subject. If Hollywood made a really inspiring art movie about the Great Masters it would attract many young people to become artists.

Think about it ! :applause: :applause: :applause:

jbo
04-27-2005, 10:18 PM
i don't think enough information is available to portray any artist from that era at all accurately. i personally don't really find such movies very interesting at all anyway. i find it much easier to gain inspiration from the artists' work itself, than a movie about their life.

Marc-OlivierBouchard
04-27-2005, 10:28 PM
I have once seen a film about some of Renaissance's greatest artists: Leonardo, Michaelangelo, Raphael, Donatello, Shredder. It was very Hollywoodesque.

jbo
04-27-2005, 11:04 PM
I have once seen a film about some of Renaissance's greatest artists: Leonardo, Michaelangelo, Raphael, Donatello, Shredder. It was very Hollywoodesque.

well, anything featuring the voice of cory feldman is sure to be inspirational.

Acestrik3r
04-27-2005, 11:46 PM
There's a movie called Incognito which is based on a guy who try to paint Rembrant. There's more to that, check it out. It's one good movie.

MrGrinch
04-28-2005, 12:56 AM
There definately are a large number of films about famous artist's lives, cant name any off the top of my head but I remember being shown a multitude of them during art school. I dont think however, that any of them were Hollywood blockbusters, like LEEBLEEB mentioned, Hollywood is likely to make a sensationalist movie and just tack the artist's name on as an afterthought. For a real look at the lives of artists you're much better to look to documentaries and independant movies. For example, 'Frida' (about the life of Frida Kahlo) was one of the more recent movies I've seen and it made amazing use of her paintings to illustrate scenes in her life. However, in all movies some artistic license is taken and I agree with jbo that their actual work should be inspirational enough.
On a slightly different note, I find inspiration in a lot of movies that are artistic in their approach to the landscapes, sets and costumes, these are things created by artists who dont have their name carved in stone but are no less talented.

SuperMax
04-28-2005, 11:14 AM
There was a Van Gough movie once. It was french i think.

It had alot of Nudity. As you would expect lol

Fly3D
04-28-2005, 12:04 PM
Vincent & Theo (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0792846419/103-8365203-3058246?v=glance) was pretty good despite what the reviewers said.:)

doodlehead
04-28-2005, 01:52 PM
TNT made a "movie" about Michaelangelo and DaVinci called "A Season of Giants". I remember watching the first part of it and thinking it was okay. IMDB says it was broadcast in 1991 and had Smallville's John Glover playing Leonardo. The thing about movies about artists is that most of them focus on how messed up they are emotionally and mentally, and it's hard to get inspired by someone who's idiosyncratically mad (mad I say!).

pushav
04-28-2005, 02:15 PM

Lol You can find that kind of stuff on PBS. There are a lot of creative stuff on PBS at times.

(PBS is a tv channel)

CGTalk Moderation
04-28-2005, 02:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.