PDA

View Full Version : wax...

MattDubs
10-04-2002, 06:03 PM
so i worked for like 6 hours last night trying to figure out the wax shader in brazil and couldn't really get what i wanted. i was trying for an effect much like their sample with the foggy semitransusence. can some one give me a quick run down?

their sample:
http://www.splutterfish.com/sf/FeatureGalleries/brazilnew3.jpg

Refracted
10-04-2002, 07:56 PM
for questions about the full version, you can use the online support on your account page (if you even bought it). this online support pretty much runs 24 hours a day (people from all over the world do the support, so it can run all the time).

Andre

MattDubs
10-04-2002, 08:41 PM
maybe i should give up asking questions on this board, no one ever gives a straight foward answer. very few will actually answer instead of pawning me off in a very patronizing fashion. thus far 'gonzo the great' has been the most help.

censored
10-05-2002, 12:00 AM
maybe you should reconsider your attitude - refracted was not pawning you off.

plenty of help and resources for brazil 1.0 are available through the brazil r/s client page, and if you don't have access to that and haven't bought brazil, i don't see why we should help you at all with 1.0.

sean_G
10-06-2002, 06:49 AM
is an effect most of us refer to as SSS. or SubSurface light Scattering. its a volumetric effect avaliable in many render engines MentalRay, FinalRender, and LightWave. this may or may not require specifically created shaders or plug-ins depending on your package. any BSRDF shader will simulate this effect.
if you want my advice id do some heavy poring through your "Brazilian" tome of cryptic wisdom, to get started.

mlykke
10-06-2002, 05:23 PM
njtwilight,

join the online support from you account page and ask for me there. Then I will be happy anwser all the questions you have on that material.

All I can do here is showing you this hires version of the render.

http://www.wilddemo.dk/test/dragonwax.jpg

CHRiTTeR
10-11-2002, 06:28 PM
Would like to know this also, but I can't say I'm the proud owner of brazil 1.0 ... :shame: :shrug:

I think this effect isn't possible to make in the public version huh .... :surprised :annoyed:

DAMN !!!

----
PS: Mlykke: Saw your galleries on your website. very impressive materials!!! Would u mind sharing those (Nothing with trying :) )

mlykke
10-14-2002, 08:29 AM
First thank you for the nice words :)

SSS isn't in the 0.4.53 pub test no.

As for sharing materials, it depends. The wax one is using Brazil shaders so without 1.0 it isn't gonna do you any good. I am thinking about releasing these materials on the Brazil users forum in the future. First I have to get the last week of exams over with first.

But tell me what materials you are in interested in, many of them are made with the pub test so there are a good chance that I can give you the material.

CHRiTTeR
10-14-2002, 06:04 PM
Well, to be honest ... :) I WANT THEM ALL !!!

They all look great! Just share the ones u want to!

I can't believe u're wanting to share those!! That's very kind of yah!

THANKS,
CHRiTTeR :thumbsup: :wavey:

CHRiTTeR
10-18-2002, 12:53 AM
Found a few samples of the wax...

So, this can't be done in the public test version?

CHRiTTeR
10-18-2002, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by mlykke
First thank you for the nice words :)

I am thinking about releasing these materials on the Brazil users forum in the future. First I have to get the last week of exams over with first.

But isn't the Brazil users forum only accesable for Brazil "full version" 1.0 owners?

If not, where can I find it? Searched with google, couldn't find it (weird).

censored
10-18-2002, 01:11 AM
the brazil client forum is available to clients only, but there is a general splutterfish forum at http://forums.splutterfish.com.

mlykke
10-18-2002, 04:20 AM
Sorry CHRiTTeR, I should have been more spicific about that.

I posted a few of the Brazil 1.0 mats, including the wax dragon mat, on the Brazil customers forum today.

When I get some time I will try to get some of the pub test 0.4.53 mats collected and posted on my site.

And to anwser your question... The SSS feature isn't in the 0.4.53 pub test.

CHRiTTeR
10-18-2002, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by mlykke
Sorry CHRiTTeR, I should have been more spicific about that.

I posted a few of the Brazil 1.0 mats, including the wax dragon mat, on the Brazil customers forum today.

When I get some time I will try to get some of the pub test 0.4.53 mats collected and posted on my site.

And to anwser you question... The SSS feature isn't in the 0.4.53 pub test.

Awesome,
many thanks!

By the way, I need a good texture for a candle. Since I can't use the wax texture, is this possible using translucency? Yes, how?

drewbie
10-18-2002, 11:31 PM
This should be the way to go if you're trying to simulate translucency...

http://www.3rddimensiontutorials.com/Translucency.html

-Drew

CHRiTTeR
10-18-2002, 11:58 PM
Thanks !!! That one's just what I needed!

:beer:

CHRiTTeR
10-19-2002, 12:06 AM
Max R5 has a translucency material and there's also an trancelucency option in both the raytrace material from MAX and the brazil standard material...

So how can I use these?

Ovi
10-24-2002, 12:59 AM
F1 or RTFM

It's all you need to answer your question.

CHRiTTeR
10-24-2002, 04:02 AM
I know, that's the first thing I looked in, couldn't find anything usable...

Khepri
10-24-2002, 04:26 AM
know, that's the first thing I looked in, couldn't find anything usable...

can't believe you didn't find anything usable :S

did you look in the right manual?

CHRiTTeR
10-24-2002, 01:14 PM
Yeah, offcourse there's a very detailed expanation what every parameter does, but I can't manage to create a nice translucent candle... That's really hard u know.

Khepri
10-24-2002, 07:27 PM
That's really hard u know

ehm.. no:hmm:

CHRiTTeR
10-24-2002, 10:57 PM
No? Ok, maybe for u guys it's easy, but for me it isn't.

If someone out there has a goodlooking candlematerial, can u please share it?

Khepri
10-24-2002, 11:15 PM
are you talking Max Or Brazil.....?

CHRiTTeR
10-24-2002, 11:19 PM
Max, since I only have the pub release of brazil.

If I had Brazil full version, then I would have the wax material. Yhat would be easier to create those candles I guess...

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.