PDA

View Full Version : AF challenge: Tracking Arrow

abductedMind
04-25-2005, 07:08 PM
I have set up some tracking in my animation successfully, but I want to point at the tracked point with an arrow. How would I go about doing this using the tracking information? The tracking is being used to label parts of a medical animation.

Thanks

Aruna
04-25-2005, 10:08 PM
Uh, create an image of an arrow, put the pivot point of the image to just in front of the arrow, track that image to your tracking data.

abductedMind
04-26-2005, 03:27 PM
Sorry, I knew I wasn't specific enough. I found what I was looking for below. A better way to describe what I was looking for is a way to connect two moving points. In this tutorial you use the 'beam' effect, and link the two end points to the two other points you want to connect to.

http://www.creativecow.net/articles/bassett_doug/connections/

Thanks for the help.

Aruna
04-26-2005, 04:29 PM
Wow. That's why I don't use AE. Look at the steps to track two points and connect them. Glad you found what you were looking for.

abductedMind
04-26-2005, 05:12 PM
That tutorial connects four points with for lines, so I don't think that its too bad. Unfortunely I work at a small company that didn't do any compositing until now, so AF was the ignorant choice. It certainly is frustrating to spend time learning a tool I hope to eventually move away from.

Anyway, while I have you attention, what do you think is the best forum for visual effects and compositing? I saw vfxtalk.com in your signature, but that forum seems rather small.

Aruna
04-26-2005, 05:58 PM
While VFXTalk is small, there's a wealth of good information, just do a search or order threads from the beginning. The caveat with vfx forums is that it is a MUCH smaller group of people than general CG, one of the reasons why CGtalk is so huge is because it covers so much, 3D, painting, graphics programs, anything computer graphics related.

Not as many vfx specific professionals have time to contribute to forums, but the ones that do have some interesting insights. Check it out, search, and ask questions. Lots of talented vfx artists there, and some great in-depth comp interviews. Some other ones which have forums but have even smaller communities are www.fxguide.com and www.vfxsoup.com.

Hope that helps!

boomji
04-26-2005, 08:04 PM
abduct...also check out arunas webpage/blog if you havent already...some hidden gems in there as well ;) .

another nice place is the pigsfly forum for digital fusion...very interesting reads, and fusioners really do rock ;)

b

abductedMind
04-26-2005, 08:44 PM
thanks guys.

CGTalk Moderation
04-26-2005, 08:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.