PDA

View Full Version : COMING SOON: Production Desing Week.

RobertoOrtiz
04-25-2005, 03:34 PM
I want to try an experiment for one week.
The idea is that a movie Title will be mentioned (Real or Fictional), and we will design
equipment, costumes and environments. As always we will have only a day.

For example:
CgTalk Daily Sketch 3## PRODUCTION DESING: "LES MISERABLES" (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=233443)

or
CgTalk Daily Sketch 3## PRODUCTION DESING: "ALIEN" (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=233443)

As always you will only have a day to do your pieces.
If you post a fictional movie, please post a brief description of it.

So please post on this thread the topic you have in mind.
-R

Ronski
04-25-2005, 04:35 PM
this sounds interesting Roberto

ok here's one - live action AKIRA!
design bikes, clown gang costumes and Tokyo environments.

depleteD
04-26-2005, 04:14 AM
I like that idea, a live action anime of some kind. The problem is toping those designs, like appleseed wonderful days have top notch designs already. Cool idea though.

Maybe just big ass robots and what not

erilaz
04-26-2005, 05:37 AM
Topic-a-rama:

- Cthulu: The children's series: Make a cute cuddly version of Lovecraft's finest. Think 1920's clothes, scruffy kids, fluffy tentacled beings of doom.
- Japanese Titanic, 3045: Make a traditional japanese style version of Titanic, set in the future. How would the ship look? The character's clothes? Human? Robot? Alien?
- CSI: Post-Apocalyptic: The world has been razed to the ground, but america's finest crime scene investigators live on! This leaves a world of new crime and new CSI techniques.
- Bilbo in the Bronks: What would the hobbit's adventure have been like if it were set in a modern-day city? Magic included, of course. What would the ring be? Would sting still be a sword? Would Smaug still be a dragon?

Just thoughts.:)

AnimZiggy
04-26-2005, 12:21 PM
great ideas Erilaz. :buttrock:

CodeNothing
04-26-2005, 05:33 PM
so we have a single movie as the topic, and we all choose an area of production to work on? Like if the movie is "Harry Potter and the half-blood prince" I could do creature design, some one else does costume, someone else does environments?

sounds cool! these threads will look like a real pre production studio! :)

jebas
04-26-2005, 06:37 PM
Here's some suggestions that could really get the juices going.

Frankenstein's Monster (past, present, or future): Many of us could go nuts modeling the laboratory and props. If the production is set in the time period of the novel, there are several fabulous costumes that will be needed. If in the present, will need references to medical equipment. If it's in the future, all of the above works.

What if “Plan 9 from Outer Space” had a budget: Lots of zombies, and alien spaceships.

Remake of “Forbidden Planet”: Going along the same lines of the original, you have to design all of the alien artifacts that only hint at when the Krell looked like, and Robby would have to have a whole new design that would reflect the original.

“Another Fine Myth: The Movie”: For those of you not familiar with the Myth Adventure series, it is about the travels of a boy name Skeeve, and his demon teacher named Aahz. Demons is this series are dimensional travelers, but the entire series looks like a mage quest. It's a very amusing read.

If I that's all that is coming off of the top of my head. If anything else falls free, I'll post it.

paperclip
04-26-2005, 11:35 PM
I think it'd make sense if it was a book, since if it's from a movie, most people will subconsciously draw on the movie for inspiration, even if they mean not to. Picking a book forces us to work from our imagination more..
Also-- it should be one most people have read, since you only have 1 day to do it, people who have read it would clearly have a much greater advantage than these who haven't. Maybe a childrens' book? Enid Blyton? Roald Dahl? (could be great fun to do 'The BFG', very cool book )

paperclip
04-26-2005, 11:37 PM
Or at least a well known book... Greek legends would be cool. I'd be all up for a production of Samson/Delilah or Hercules.... or how about the Iliad? That would give plenty of scope for inspiration!! Achilles dragging the body of Hector around the walls of Troy? Come on!

mybutterflyiris
04-27-2005, 01:23 AM
Ooo... sounds intriguing...
how 'bout Narnia...to make things simple, it could just be the Lion, the witch, and the wardrobe

umm...yeah thats all i've got for now

erilaz
04-27-2005, 01:30 AM
- Incredibles 2: Stick to the design of the incredibles, but create a new scenario.

Art2
04-27-2005, 02:05 AM
production design for:

- Buck Rogers (remake-new series)
- Tekken-the movie
- Bucky, the vampire slayer (2180)
- Star Trek-the Lost Generation
- Captain America-the movie

erilaz
04-27-2005, 04:26 AM
- Spiderfish!: This is a concept I built ages ago, but it had a lot of promise (I thought, anyway!). What you do is take Spiderman, but set it underwater. Doc oc could actually be an octopus, the green goblin could be an urchin etc.

- Star Wars: Medieval China: No technology, just plain old-fashioned jedi.

Kirt
04-27-2005, 08:36 AM
Scooby Doo: non-70's style (cartoon or live action)
Droopy Dog: The live action movie
Thundercats: New cartoon TV series
Space 1999: TV remake (live action)
Looney Tunes: New cartoon TV series (not "Lunatics" EXTREEEEEEEMME Buzz Bunny ... do it better)

LadyMedusa
04-27-2005, 11:04 AM
I'm really looking greatly forward for this :D

I whant to do creature and costume design, but I cant come up whit any titles :(

paperclip
04-27-2005, 11:07 AM
I love the idea of the Lion, Witch and Wardrobe series 'Narnia' production design....the ice palace would be great fun to design!! Add that to the costumes of the satyr, ice queen, etc...
When I was younger 'The last Battle' was my favorite book.

Here's a link describing each book. This is sort of like LOTR, isn't it.
http://members.lycos.co.uk/Jonathan_Gregory76/

BTW: I think we should have longer than a day for this. Also-- we could split up into different groups for different design areas. We could have a poll to show who's going into which area.
How about that?

That one gets my vote.

erilaz
04-28-2005, 06:39 AM
- Metal Gear Solid the Movie: It's being made (eventually!), so why don't we design it first?
- The Matrix 1920's : Speaks for itself really. Jack-in industrial style!

Ronski
04-28-2005, 12:12 PM
Buck Rogers in the 12th Century

Alien Earth War

switchstance
04-28-2005, 03:16 PM
"I, Robot - Steampunkstyle"
"Indiana Jones - Futuristic"
"Troy - Rebuilt, in Future"

great ideas everyone!

stepington
04-30-2005, 02:59 AM
how about. . . . a film adaptation of the novel:

The Master and Margarita
by Mikhail Bulgakov

"In this imaginative extravanganza the Devil, disguised as a magician, descends upon Moscow in the 1930s with his riotous band, which includes a talking cat and an expert assassin. Together they succeed in comically befuddling a population which denies the Devil's existence, even as it is confronted with the diabolic results of a magic act gone wrong. This visit to the world capital of atheism has several aims, one of which concerns the fate of the Master, a writer who has written a novel about Pontius Pilate, and is now in a mental hospital. Margarita, the despairing and daring heroine, becomes a witch in an effort to save the Master, and agrees to become the Devil's hostess at his annual spring ball." -

AmazonDOTcom synopsis--

also

an animated version of the film "Black Cat White Cat" done in the style of Edward Gorey

Rani
05-09-2005, 05:07 PM
- The Matrix 1920's : Speaks for itself really. Jack-in industrial style!

That I would like to see.

- Futuristic/Alien Fight Club

Tonik
05-09-2005, 05:21 PM
This sounds really cool Roberto. I for one would definitely like to take part in something along these lines. I might cover the same ground more than once but here are some ideas:

No.1

I think something Star Wars like would be excellent as it leaves scope for people to create things totally alien to our world :

People and costumes
Robots
Organic Monsters and Alien Species
Spaceships and other Vehicles
Environments
Storyboard a Scene

Looking at the Art of Star Wars Books from Epsiodes II and III makes me realise that this theme is the source of some of the most creative concept art ever created. Having seen how popular the avatar wars were with the Star Wars theme I know a lot of people would get really get into this.

Maybe Star Wars: Episode VII - ( Create your own title )

No.2

Hammer Revival could be a fun thing to work on. Look at your favourite Hammer Horror films and totally redesign them as if they were to be made this year.

No.3

Ray Harryhausen was a huge innovator in the world of special effects and reworking some of his greatest scenes would be excellent. Jack the Giant Killer, Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, Clash of the Titans.

No.4
Arabian Nights - talking about Sinbad the rest of the stories in the Arabian Nights are equally as rich.

Had problems posting this earlier - some kind of 504 error which I think might be at my ISPs end. Anyway will get going on some Frankenstein ideas now !!!

offbeatworlds
05-10-2005, 01:53 PM
No.3

Ray Harryhausen was a huge innovator in the world of special effects and reworking some of his greatest scenes would be excellent. Jack the Giant Killer, Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, Clash of the Titans.

I am so with you on Clash of the Titans. I love that movie! LOL!

I also think Star Wars would be a great idea.

I sortof have an idea, but it's not completely formed. Something Tim Burton related. Like make up the next Tim Burton film, and do all the production designs for it. Anyone have ideas for titles?

Shrink
05-11-2005, 04:18 PM
War of the Worlds

- Because the movie's coming out soon, and it has a lot of room for some original design.

Rani
05-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Seeing the Matrix in 1920's thread I wondered how matrix in the 60's would look like, I guess it will be, hm, interesting, to say the least...

Probably a good idea for the next production design week...

CGTalk Moderation
05-14-2005, 08:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.