PDA

View Full Version : How to set the unit (unit problem with 3dsMax)?

hugodog
04-25-2005, 03:02 AM
Hi,

I'm using Vue4Pro and Max together, trying to get
them both syncing (camera) and export/import objects.

How do you set the unit you want to work with on
Vue? I've got my unit setup to "cm" in Max. The problem is
when importing a 500 unit(cm) object from Max, Vue change
it to 100 unit.

Another problem, importing a tree from Vue is only
60cm high in Max. So all the scale got messed up.

How do we set this up correctly?

Thank you,
Regards,

AnthonyC
04-25-2005, 06:16 PM
Hi Hugo,

Not sure if this is in Vue4Pro, but in Vue5Infinite, under Options, you can disable (Resize and center imported objects) option.

Wabe
04-26-2005, 09:44 AM
It is the same in all Vue versions - you can switch on or off the automatic resize/center option in the preferences.

Unfortunately you can't select different measurement units in Vue. They only use their internal one.

What people do when they need precise import is to have a surrounding cube in the source program. And import that always with the model that should go into Vue. Then the rescaling gets always the same result and the real model is in the size you want it to.

Then you delete the surrounding cube or make it invisible.

This method is good as well when you want to keep a precise positioning of imported models. You position the cube with its content always the same and the relative positioning will be correct.

Shaun_michael
04-26-2005, 09:00 PM
Wabe, would you mind explaining that cube method in a little more detail please, just so I'm sure I understand what you mesn.

Thank you,

Shaun

Mike.H
04-27-2005, 11:07 AM
regardless of app you create a cube in your app, put your objects that you´re going to export to your other apps (in this case vue) inside the cube.

once inside your main application, resize/position the cube(which contains all your real objects in their correct dimensions), once you´re done delete the cube or make it invisible.

this will A: keep the correct dimension between all your imported objects and if needed B, their placement.

Wabe
04-27-2005, 12:23 PM
Nothing to add to veteran Mike.H's words! Perfectly explained.

Shaun_michael
04-27-2005, 07:24 PM
Thanks guys

CGTalk Moderation
04-27-2005, 07:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.