PDA

View Full Version : 2.5d mattepainting - Image gathering and integration

jkast82
04-24-2005, 08:05 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if someone would be kind enough to offer me some advice.

-----------------------------

I intend to create a mattepainting using mainly combined photographs (which I will take myself) and some creative manipulation and combination in photoshop...

The main intention for this is to create a stylised but photo-realistic landscape environment in which I can composite someone shot against a bluescreen.
The mattepainting(s) will also be used to create a simple 2.5D mattepainting so I can also introduce some movement as well.

So theoretically, it is compositing live action in a combined live action/cg environment - if you are still following me

My question is how do I go about perspective.

Should I take all the photos at the same focal length? (in this case they are mainly going to be mountains, rocks etc)lets say for example 50mm
If they are then combined to make a mattepainting, would this still be the same focal length - 50mm - even if it is extended a bit or objects are placed in all different places?

And what about shooting the live action - the studio is quite small, so if I wanted someone to look like they are in the distance, I couldnt use a really long lens, I would have to shrink them in post - so using the example, would I have to maintiain shooting at 50mm?

I understand that it is not the lens that is distorting the image, it is the distance they are from the lens - so this is what i am concerned about.

Also - and importantly - in the 3D CG environment, if I project the painting onto geometry, would my projection camera also have to be set up to be the example 50mm? Because..if I have extended the picture so it is really wide for panning purposes...wouldnt this mean I have a different field of view?

OR should i design everything orthographically in 3d, so that i can change lenses with the recording cam in 3d?

Hope this is relevant and that I havent confused anyone

As with most of my posts ... any help would be greatly appreciated :thanks:

J

madcow5
05-10-2005, 09:53 AM
as far as the perspective goes, yes i'd say it'd be better to keep the same lens... though if those characters of yours are going to be far in the BG, i don't think you can even tell it if its shot with different lens. if there's an action like a character walks into the frame and stuff, you may wanna see the same cam distortion that the BG would have (or the FG has, either way). back in college we did a similar project in which this guy came into a room and interacted with this minority-report-screen thing. yet since we chose to use the wider lens after shooting the live action, it ended up lookin funny. so you might wanna consider the situations that you are thinking of doing carefully, whether you can cheat it or not.

as far as the cam projection goes, you can use whatever to make the basic env since you are going to have an anim cam to render, right? so if it comes to the point where you think you need to change the lens/perspective of the BG, i think you'll still have options to do so even after the shoot.

needless to say, a good preproduction brings you a good final result, always, so think about that.

Cman
05-11-2005, 01:24 AM
http://mattepainting.org/

Just in case you didn't know about them.
You might find help there too.

CGTalk Moderation
05-11-2005, 01:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.