jj@3dblasphemy.com

JJ

derErschaffer
10-04-2002, 12:31 PM
*LOL*...the non-real darth vador....:thumbsup:

looks great...

Frank Dodd
10-04-2002, 01:15 PM
Fantastic recreation of the classic Empire Strikes back scene. I thought it was a photo at first before I checked your site out. Very well done, very impressive. :thumbsup:

Hysteria
10-04-2002, 02:25 PM
Major cool dude! I checked out your site as well. You seem very good at reproduction at this stuff! Can you post some wireframes? (Not to see if you actually made them but i wanna see what they look like)

blasphemy3_d
10-04-2002, 02:35 PM
this is the mesh

http://www.3dblasphemy.com

jj@3dblasphemy.com

JJ

HapZungLam
10-04-2002, 05:53 PM
first time seeing it i go. waaa:eek: :eek:

then when i look deeper, some of your textures are pretty crappy. Specially the objects, they are like non modify image, you just paste it here withought modify it.

Then i look down for your good lighting image, i realize that you are a pretty good modelor

sasquatch
10-04-2002, 06:11 PM
HapZungLam:

some of your textures are pretty crappy

Tactful...:annoyed:

levin
10-04-2002, 06:23 PM
sasquatch:

HapZungLam:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tactful...

i guess it could be due to language barriers, i'm sure HapZungLam never really meant to be too harsh

sasquatch
10-04-2002, 06:27 PM
yeah, I know.

His praise seems a little be-grudged though.

RazzMataz
10-04-2002, 06:54 PM
Hey Blasphemy, nice model and lighting, and while I would certainly not call your textures crappy, they are the weakest part of your image.

Keep at it and lets see more!

Cheers.
:)

Stevo
10-04-2002, 07:22 PM
This is good work; can't say HapZungLam knows anything
about constructive criticism, although sounds like an arrogant
prick. Then again, I looked at HapZungLam portfolio, and it
really isn't his fault; he's just inexperienced:(...

This is really cool work, keep it up.
Are you going to animate him?
Could you post I wireframe of the model???

Stevo

nickz
10-04-2002, 07:22 PM
Very nice work sir!!

nickz
10-04-2002, 07:25 PM
How does the whole star system work? Are they only given my the mods or can people vote? I would like to give some stars for this piece!

My 2 cents.

Eldron
10-04-2002, 07:32 PM
'Im your father!!'

it's great! perfect recapture of that scene :)

sasquatch
10-04-2002, 07:33 PM
NickZ: rate away, my man

look down...further...right a bit: see rate thread? go for it!

Everyone's allowed.:D

JasonA
10-04-2002, 08:19 PM
beautiful piece of work! excellent composition too, hell I thought it was a screen cap at first:thumbsup:

My only crit is that the background image (of the tunnel walls) and pipes right in front of vader look very low res (or perhaps too blurry). Textures on vader himself look fine to me. Even that being my opinion, I'd still say this is top notch stuff!

Check out your website, that StormTrooop looks excellent too! :bounce: :bounce:

what program is this?

digitaldamage
10-04-2002, 08:35 PM
Outstanding.

Originally posted by Eldron
'Im your father!!'

Yes! I "heared" exactly the same. It was like a punch directly in the face. I would say this is a very goood sign. :)

The textues are far from what i would call "crappy". It seems that thereīs rather a litte bit compression blur on the image compared to the one at 3dblasphemy.

URI::G
10-04-2002, 09:21 PM
This is very good. You really nailed the lighting.

Martyr
10-04-2002, 09:55 PM
I am a huge fan of star wars especially I have make many many version of the sith lord since my beginning in 3d and I find your image truly cool

have you ever see the website of matt clark he have a version too

Agent D
10-04-2002, 10:15 PM
Holy crap! That's awesome. At first I couldn't tell what was geometry and what was your background picture, but then you posted the untextured render. :eek: It would be cool to see a camera rotation animation, or a view from the other side, just to see those textures! 5 stars! :thumbsup:

James Bowman
10-04-2002, 10:19 PM
Impressive. Most impressive. Obi-wan has taught you well.:buttrock:

The lighting is spot on and the surfacing on Vader's plastic bits is great.

BTW, your site layout is cool. Nice idea with the post-it notes.:)

Julez4001
10-04-2002, 11:49 PM
YOU KNOW IT TO BE TRUE!

Xilica
10-05-2002, 12:04 AM
sweet jesus

NICE

seantree
10-05-2002, 12:19 AM
impressive, most impressive :)

ryguy
10-05-2002, 12:33 AM
superior work! :buttrock:

Primus
10-05-2002, 12:48 AM
Very nice ;) the modeling is superb.

Agent D
10-05-2002, 02:22 AM
Ok, you might have wanted crits if you're still working on him, so here we go...
My only problems with the image: His belt buckle(?) looks odd for some reason, and it also seems to be flipped horizontally from the original (http://www.wheelon.com/swimages/tesb/dvfather.jpg). Perhaps make it look more like brushed aluminum?
Also, the lights on his belt devices look a bit too CG, maybe because of the high radius/low intensity? That's really all I can think of to critique here, and they're all minor details. Again, great job. Definitely the most realistic Star Wars render I've ever seen. :applause:

misterboogie
10-05-2002, 02:29 AM
I like it!!!

piajartist
10-05-2002, 03:31 AM
4.5 stars, this is a very well modelled piece

say-g
10-05-2002, 03:41 AM
very nice. ur site layout too and the at-at. :thumbsup:

where do u get your reference images from ?

because this is a multilingual/polyglot forum, there will be missunderstandings, but the way i see this comment is that the light / railing / 3 poles cut, are abit grainy, texture wise...

this is what i think hapzunglam was refering too, because they could be better.

can't say HapZungLam knows anything
about constructive criticism, although sounds like an arrogant
prick. Then again, I looked at HapZungLam portfolio, and it
really isn't his fault; he's just inexperienced:(...

thats not very constructive in itself :thumbsdow

Matt
10-05-2002, 06:00 AM
Something I've wanted to say for a while here...

HapZungLam or whatever his/her name is... Seriously has no place giving advice about 3D, because his 3D woman in his avatar is just horrible. Her hair looks in no way realistic, and the whole thing is like just ugh!

Viper
10-05-2002, 06:19 AM
Now calm down people...take a little bit of fresh air...We are not here to discuss if someone is able to give advice or not...we are here to make critics to the image :)

Great image man! Although I agree with Jason, that the background could be more defined....another thing, is that the bars should be more metalic, shouldn't they?

PS: sorry moderators...it's a habit :D

lmc
10-05-2002, 06:31 AM
Can it animate?!:applause:

Rye
10-05-2002, 06:59 AM
You captured the scene from the movie extremely well. Now render out a nice wide aspect ratio! The only real thing i noticed was that the poles where the light saber cut through are not even, I would think if he made one stroke to cut through they would all line up but the two next to each other make it look like his light saber was bent. Im just nitpicking though :), Maybe thats how it looked in the movie, ill have to go check! Great job, keep up the good work.

Kaiser_Sose
10-05-2002, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by levin
sasquatch:

i guess it could be due to language barriers, i'm sure HapZungLam never really meant to be too harsh

Nah, I do not think so ... look at all his posts in the WIP / FW forum, he bashes one after the other

pants
10-05-2002, 08:46 AM
when i saw this post, i was waiting for people to scream for wireframes as i thought this was a dvd capture or a scanned photo or something like that. truly absolutely positively stupendous work. even comparing yours with the link in one of the replies, yours holds up and indeed is stellar. congratulations.

i agree that the poles do look too out of focus. i realize you are going for the look of the picture, but as my teacher once told me when we were drawing from photos, sometimes you need to "fix" the photo bc it doesn't make sense when drawn. i guess the same principle applies here. you definitely nailed the look of the picture, but it looks like you just have lo-res textures. :hmm:

but i still sit back and go :eek: :surprised :insane:

truly a treat to see your post.

one too many :

leprinoxyz
10-05-2002, 10:33 AM
well done man!

baby
10-05-2002, 11:19 AM
don't you like my new black dress ?!?

:buttrock: :bounce:

xtrm3d
10-05-2002, 01:16 PM
incredible.. !!!!
i first thoug itīs was a photo...
shame on me !!!
5 star !!!

ycf98
10-05-2002, 01:58 PM
hey first of all great render man . cant remember that scene really that well tho . but perhaps the charred metal ( the black part) was a bit too much . perhaps cut down a bit and some slight glowing red of the corners on the cut surface as molten metal after being cut by thelight saber . well just my 2 cents . anyways good work :)

mfalcon
10-05-2002, 04:37 PM
lovely man...im a die hard fan. n i was fooled for a moment......brilliant man...how long it take u?

psychoace
10-05-2002, 05:23 PM
ok awsome job first of all only two things look bad on this pic
a. of course the poles which look like cig's or they are made out of wet cardboard
b. the neck on vadar neck needs some aa its way to jaggified can't believe no one else noticed that.

Frinsklen
10-05-2002, 05:59 PM
It's extermely cool, and it's starwars. 5 stars for you, man.

As someone said before, all the picture needs right now is a better aspect ratio.
Could anyone post the original frame from the movie? I can't find it...

:thumbsup:

Martyr
10-05-2002, 06:19 PM
Here there is

Frinsklen
10-05-2002, 06:23 PM
thanks, Martyyr25, I'll keep that image...
This makes the render look even more impressive.

:surprised

HapZungLam
10-05-2002, 07:39 PM
Hey guys, calm down guys. I may say something that you guys miss understanding.

Here is the image, and the green area which i circled compair the the red area. For some reason, maybe is the render? maybe is something else, i dont' know okay? The head's texture and shader is very well done. compare to the red area. I am sure that he can do as good as the head. Just that he didn't spend as much time as his head.

I want to point it out where ever i see soemthing that it can make this image better. agree? you may not agree or you may not do what i suggest, it is your choice. But i don't mean to insult anyone here. If you think i am, I am very appoligize.

Matt:Something I've wanted to say for a while here...

HapZungLam or whatever his/her name is... Seriously has no place giving advice about 3D, because his 3D woman in his avatar is just horrible. Her hair looks in no way realistic, and the whole thing is like just ugh!

Matt, do i still don't have the rights to say soemthing here? Is it because i do suck 3D that means i can't critique? Don't you guys want your CG looks better? My critique is just an idea. You can take it, or if you don't want, just ignore it. Different peopel has different point of view.

Also, i've posted my 3D woman couple times here for critique, but there has no one saying anything to it. Not much replies, How can i improve.

Kaiser_Sose:
Nah, I do not think so ... look at all his posts in the WIP / FW forum, he bashes one after the other

If you are posting soemthign here, do you expect everyone to say good and positive things to your work? or say something that you can improve? Does it help if i say that?

If you want me to say good things to your work. Yea, i will do it if you want. that 's ez. I can post "good work, great" "woow, nice man, keep it up"

But do you really want it? or do you really want everyone to say this no use reply to you? think about it yourself.

Yea, i am a suck 3D artist, but so what. I do admit it. At least, i want to improve.

eirenicon
10-05-2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Matt
HapZungLam or whatever his/her name is... Seriously has no place giving advice about 3D, because his 3D woman in his avatar is just horrible.[/B]

Exactly. Because we all know that movie critics are acclaimed directors, and novel critics are world-famous writers, and art critics are fabulous painters. Get off your high horse, man. If you have to be as good as the original artist to critique his work, we'd see a lot less comments around here.

I agree with HapZungLam. So what if his comments seem harsh at times? If you can't take the heat, either grow a thicker skin or stop posting your work.

freemind77
10-05-2002, 10:06 PM
I dont think these textures in red area are COMPLETELY CRAP, but i think they are either pretty much low rez then they WOULD or something is not right with render.just my 2cents. other than that GREAT WORK!:thumbsup:

HapZungLam
10-05-2002, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by freemind77
I dont think these textures in red area are COMPLETELY CRAP, but i think they are either pretty much low rez then they WOULD or something is not right with render.just my 2cents. other than that GREAT WORK!:thumbsup:

yes, that's correct. my meanning of crap, is the texture quaulity, the resolution. Is it hard to correct? i dont' think so. So why not spend the time to make it more high res. that's it what i am trying to say. if you guys are still trying to tackle my word "crappy". I am appoligize

alphatron
10-05-2002, 11:58 PM
Well, the word crap is meant to denote something that has no value or worth. That is why people are offended with your use of the word. As the texture in that area is not "perfect" they are definitely not useless or worthless.

HapZungLam
10-06-2002, 03:39 AM
But that's not what i mean, it is just not as good as the other part. I don't mean that is a trash or no value. Just like it is broken and non perfect. that's what i meant

HapZungLam
10-06-2002, 03:40 AM
But that's not the point. I am upset about people really hate me here.

Martyr
10-06-2002, 04:50 AM
I...Don't hate you!

ycf98
10-06-2002, 06:22 AM
well hapzunglam its okay since u've made it clear now . but please in the future be a wee bit careful with how you arrange you sentences . commentin ppls work usin 4 letter words such as "crap","suck".....etc etc.....might be misunderstood . :cool:

wully
10-06-2002, 09:37 AM
Impressive :buttrock:

Stimpy
10-06-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by HapZungLam

If you want me to say good things to your work. Yea, i will do it if you want. that 's ez. I can post "good work, great" "woow, nice man, keep it up"

But do you really want it? or do you really want everyone to say this no use reply to you? think about it yourself.

like someone else said before, its a matter of tactfulness.... you cant just jump in and say "its crap". even if it might be sometimes. but then i think its nice to first point out the things you really dig about the picture... show the artist that he has done a nice job / a good start / potential or whatever...

and then afterwards mention the things you dont like... you dont like in YOUR opinion. since its all subjective anyway.
"it looks to me like ..." "i get the feeling that ..."

and more important: say how to FIX (!!!) those things that bother you.

"i get the feeling that your textures are rather crappy on those objects in the front... why dont you try to crank up the resolution on those.. then they blend in better with the rest of the model which is rather top notch"

whipper-snapper
10-06-2002, 10:57 AM
another thing...

certainly don't say that someone can't model or whatever until you see my work...after you see what i have made in the past, you will understand the true meaning of "no talent".

:)

whipper-snapper
10-06-2002, 10:59 AM
by the way...

excellent work. whew...thats a better darth vader than....darth vader himself :)

awesome..

GladeR
10-06-2002, 11:13 AM
wow, es la hostia tio, has conseguido clavarlo!! :cool:

you can be happy with that results, is amazing , keep up it :beer:

by curiosity where do you work?

Matt
10-06-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by timothyD
Exactly. Because we all know that movie critics are acclaimed directors, and novel critics are world-famous writers, and art critics are fabulous painters. Get off your high horse, man. If you have to be as good as the original artist to critique his work, we'd see a lot less comments around here.

I agree with HapZungLam. So what if his comments seem harsh at times? If you can't take the heat, either grow a thicker skin or stop posting your work.

I was defending the originator of this thread. He posted a wonderful recreation of Darth Vader, and one of the first replies was something like, "Your textures totally suck." Which I didn't feel was right, coming from someone with what Hap has for an avatar.

I feel, that someone shouldn't try to teach calculus if they don't know how to add 1+1.

Matt
10-06-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by HapZungLam
But that's not the point. I am upset about people really hate me here.

Hey, I don't hate you, I just think your post was a little harsh, but the language barrier could have had a part in that as well.

I do hate your avatar though.

mushroomgod
10-06-2002, 03:56 PM
quality bit of artwork.....have some stars:applause:

on the note of avitars...
while i dont think that HapZungLam is the best avitar iv ever seen i do think its alot better than matts...theres just somthing very creepy about matts...

why cant we all be frends?

HapZungLam
10-06-2002, 05:38 PM
I feel, that someone shouldn't try to teach calculus if they don't know how to add 1+1.

Alright, matt. i hate to repeat myself. I am appoligize about my language that you dont' like. I admited that i am harsh, I will fix it. I didn't know until you guys point out alright?

2ndly, i hate to repeat this also. i am not teaching anyone here, It is my oppinion of making his work better, is optional of taking it alright? That's nothing to do with my ability. You can taste the food bad, but you can't make any better than that. so is that mean, if you can't cook. no complain on the cook?

I am totally not agree with you. But hey, if you are still targetting on me, k fine, i wont' say a word. Satisfy?

HapZungLam
10-06-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Stimpy
"i get the feeling that your textures are rather crappy on those objects in the front... why dont you try to crank up the resolution on those.. then they blend in better with the rest of the model which is rather top notch"

hum.... i see now. because in chinese, better to say think and feel. never say it that surely. But i understand now. Thx for your help to fix my language. ESL always suck and get into trouble.

pants
10-06-2002, 10:37 PM
i really hate to get myself into this, but common critiquing practice where i am from is...

1. compliment things that really work (i.e. the model of darth vader made my dog pass out it's so good.)
2. CONSTRUCTIVELY critique what doesn't (i.e. although the textures as a whole are really good, i think that the poles sticking up are a little lo-res. was this intentional?)
3. wrap up the critique with something pleasant and encouraging. (i.e. you're definitely on your way to making this a truly great piece of work if you would spend a little more time with the details.)

as has been said, words like "suck" and "crap" aren't exactly the most constructive words, especially if not backed up with suggestions on how you would acheive what you think is better. everyone's entitled to their opinion, no matter what their background, but you've got to present your opinion in a respectable manner, whether you're a cg-god or a newbie, so that people don't react like this. and, the language barrier is always an issue...

the main purpose of the critique is to understand how to better your piece of work. if you are told something doesn't work, but are offered no suggestions on how to fix it, well, the critique is nearly worthless then. it should go without saying, critiques should never target anything other than the work itself.

i'm beating a dead horse here, but i just wanted to give my opinions on things.

sorry we got off topic blasphemy_3d, again, it's a terrific work. check my post for a little longer thread on just that. keep it up. :)

blasphemy3_d
10-07-2002, 09:53 AM
Whow guys, Iīve been out all the weekend and I cannot belive how many replys and critiques have been generated by the PIC.

wanna thank you all about the comments and the complimments!!!!!

I dont mind people reffers the image as crap or ship. The taste is like the ass, everyone has his own!!! XDD

You can say what you want guys, I dont mind, I really want know all your opinions...

Someone ask about my work and the program used for making the pic...

I used 3ds MAX with Final Render engine

Actually I work in spanish video games development study.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

facial
10-07-2002, 10:38 AM
Well done, keep post more.

fawazr
10-07-2002, 10:44 AM
yeah, Matt's really intimidating. His last avatar was even scarier, but really slid work. This pic's been getting a lot of attention in various cg communities. That must make an artist feel all fuzzy and warm.:bounce:

blasphemy3_d
10-07-2002, 10:57 AM
I agree with many of yours oppinion.

Th definition of some elements of the scene could be better.
Sometimes I make this on purpose so I think the scene goes more realistic.

Sometimes th backgrounds of frames for the films are blured and low deffined.... It let the spectator centre on the character.

the Pic get more congruence since my point of wiev......

JJ

tkay
10-07-2002, 11:31 AM
Hey, I don't hate you, I just think your post was a little harsh, but the language barrier could have had a part in that as well.

I do hate your avatar though.

Ahem. Yours is just great (cough)... ;)

rondo
10-07-2002, 01:06 PM
Tho I am inexperienced, I am going to note things that I noticed....

I really had to look to notice where the posts were in the original photo. Then I realized that they are in front of Vader. Maybe just changing the camera to focus more on Vader and not on the foreground.

To me it seems that his left hand is too big, or the glove is too long.

The right hand (the one holding the saber) looks strange. Like maybe the saber is too large in diameter.

Again - these are critics based on the reference photo ... which I do realize is difficult to go from. Perhaps your model is totally accurate - It just looks different than the photo. So I guess it depends on what you are going for. If you are re-creating the photo, then I'd say you are about 99% there.

This work is awesome. I would be estatic if I could get this close to a picture! You have chosen a difficult and well known character from a well known movie to model. So unfortunatly, small details are going to stick out.

Again - GREAT job! :eek:

strick9
10-07-2002, 03:52 PM
Awesome job!! I couldn't even tell it was a render until observing it more closely. Impressive......Most Impressive..... :)

Beastie
10-10-2002, 06:29 PM
Nice model, matches the picture well. The original contains film grain and blur, which you might not want to show in your image. The pipes might look better with your Great Darth to raise the res like past comments noted. I think TimothyD has a good point. Critics aren't artistic masters, they just know how to cirtique. Hap could of been more tactful but its really not a big deal, he/she said "crappy", i think the artist will survive the attack. What was said to Hap was much worse, with no tact whatsoever. So who's worse matt?

PNelson
10-11-2002, 05:01 AM
Very nice image..

At first glance i thought it was a photo .

see ya,
Philip Nelson

NemesisFIN
10-11-2002, 05:12 PM
I love it!!!!!!!!! Maybe ILM will hire you :beer:
Where did you get front and side pic of Darth Vader???

wasted weasel
10-11-2002, 07:55 PM
like everyone else is saying... at first i thought it was just a photo.
but then i checked out the website, and my god, modeling talent.

but i have a question (although i think this darth vadar is great) i'm not the biggest star wars fan, and i was just curious with modeling talent like that how come you don't focus on work that's more original??
just a question that's all.

it looks kickass without the textures (yeah that's right), I love seeing peoples rough animations as just a grey model without textures, it's kind of neat in an unfinished way, and i don't know how to explain it.

anyone else out there agree??

DJ Bindhi
10-11-2002, 08:58 PM
I love this piece. It's a quality exercise in photo recreation with a subject matter we can all dig to some extent. I think that the original set had many limitations which were reproduced faithfully in this model. However, not having the original still for reference, we being a product of the cg generation may be a bit displeased with the degree of faithfulness (I, for example, thought the yellow light could be much better and convey a real sense of luminescense, imo it looks like a solid lump with some self illumination. That is, until I saw the original pic.)

On a side note, I think that pants' three step critique should become an unofficial guideline for all future posts. IMHO, it's a good 1,2,3 way of trying to get your point across in a tactful manner. Nice summation pants :beer:

Pants said:
1. compliment things that really work (i.e. the model of darth vader made my dog pass out it's so good.)
2. CONSTRUCTIVELY critique what doesn't (i.e. although the textures as a whole are really good, i think that the poles sticking up are a little lo-res. was this intentional?)
3. wrap up the critique with something pleasant and encouraging. (i.e. you're definitely on your way to making this a truly great piece of work if you would spend a little more time with the details.)

MrWyatt
10-31-2002, 12:27 PM
Something I've wanted to say for a while here...

Now something Iīve wanted to say for a while here too...

Matt, I really donīt know why I should listen to a guy like you. You allways post very harsh and sometimes even insulting crits on so many threads here that I can hardly count them, and in return I have not seen a single picture made by you, and believe me Iīve searched allover, wich obviously indicates, just how lame you really are. So bring it, or Shut the F*** up.
Just visited your homepage: TO SEE THROU THE EYES OF GOD
nice slogan, but where is the gallery? you deffinitely need professional help dude.

:surprised

Stimpy
10-31-2002, 12:43 PM
http://www.creakyjoints.com/graphics/images/desktops/800x600/deadhorse_800x600.jpg

talk about beating a dead horse

MrWyatt
10-31-2002, 12:57 PM
OK Sorry!!!
Great model, nice render. I got carried away. This thread is simply too good to let it become a war zone. Five stars from me.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.