PDA

View Full Version : layers question

mouser100
04-24-2005, 07:09 AM
A basic question from a newbie:
I want to distort one layer and let other (linked) layers be distorted in the same way. In other words, I want to let a single action influence several layers at once. How do I do this? Thanks for you help & suggestions.

halo
04-24-2005, 02:24 PM
depends what method you use to distort them

you can link layers, but anything selection based cant be linked.

mouser100
04-24-2005, 06:23 PM
I want to apply:

Edit->Transform->Distort

to one layer and all underlying/linked layers need to be distorted the same way.
It looks as if this is not possible with PS. Correct me if I'm wrong or if there are workarounds to do this.

halo
04-24-2005, 06:27 PM
you can but only by not having a selection active...

so to transform many layers, link them then hit control t and they will all transform...if you make a selection before transforming, the transform will only affect the selection on that layer, not all the linked layers...the way to get around this is to save the selection before the transform, then transform, then jump to the next layer, load selection and use the repeat transform shortcut (think its shift control T) on each layer.

mouser100
04-24-2005, 07:11 PM
@halo: thank you for your replies. all is clear to me now. it would be nice if future CS versions would allow to do this on selections also. imo, it's a nice thing for 3D work to transform parts of texture, specular, bump, ... maps at once.

halo
04-24-2005, 08:15 PM
your damn right !

its a friggin nause.

larious
04-25-2005, 04:53 AM
It's working on my side. PS7 on windows.
If you link the layers (to link them click the box between the eye and the layer) there will appear a chain icon,which means it's linked, then you apply your distortion.
If that does not work make a "Set" and put all your layers which you want to distort in the set and apply your distort. basically both ways are working on my side, all the linked layers gets the same distortion.

Taka-

halo
04-25-2005, 08:07 AM
yes...now make a selection on one of those layers and see if it transforms that selection through all the layers.

CGTalk Moderation
04-25-2005, 08:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.