PDA

View Full Version : WIP jump animation

kgaulin
04-23-2005, 02:09 AM
This is an animation that I did of a character jumping down from a raised surface. All critiques are welcomed....
http://www.kg3d.com/jump1.htm

monstersauce
04-23-2005, 02:28 AM
hi kgaulin,
nice anim. I think it would read better if you had the squash before the jump have timing similar to that of the jump or at least, to jump that far and that high, he'd have to really squat down...essentially wind up, way more than he's doing. He needs to show more weight on the landing, he's recovering form a very high jump you show it in the torso, but drop the hips more, too. Pre landing, try having him stretch down for the ground. There is a bit of twinning on the arms on impact, might be neat to mess with his shoulder alignment a bit...have one higher and the same hip lower...maybe have one foot touch first. also he lands flat footed, could read better if his toes or heels hit first and the rest of the foot slams down on the next frame. good start!
e

nemirc
04-24-2005, 05:30 PM
I left you aresponse "elsewhere (http://10secondclub.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=7519)" :thumbsup:

Frogman
04-24-2005, 06:58 PM
I agree with the critique of monstersauce, but I'd like to add to it. You might consider changing his pose at the apex of his jump. You have him.. hmm.. quick sketch

http://www.vfs.com/%7Ema12scott/images/jumpsketchb.gif

Not really your perspective, but see if you can get some change in the body. Actually.. in the sketch, the 3rd pose you could keep arched for more change..

.. it should make it more dynamic. Definately have him pull back more before the jump.. he's getting some distance from his hop. On the impact, compress the body more and follow through in the head and arms. I also noticed that his head doesn't really move. You could gave him some twist in the body and the neck.
Hmm.. ohh.. his hands stay in a slight cupped pose during the jump.. you might try extending the fingers during the jump.

I like the character.. kinda a dopey pbi :) What sort of project is he for? I can see him hiking over a log into a fox hole under heavy fire..

PudBawl
04-25-2005, 01:58 PM
I'm in agreement with the above posts, here are a few of my thoughts

The first thing I noticed was that he seems to leave the ground before pushing off with his legs
The pre-jump windup could be a little fast with the arms going up higher
Just after he jumps once his right legs comes up his arc appears to change so that he gains even more altitude than he should at that point.
He should still have some forward momentum when landing, a step or two in the forward direction to slow himself down could help. I'll end at that for now.

Keep working and good job on little details like the swining chin strap and facial movement.

kgaulin
04-25-2005, 07:19 PM
thanks to everyone for their advice......I definitely will get to work

petertan
04-26-2005, 06:40 AM
I agree with the above critiques as well. These are my thoughts:

-Think more anticipation is required. Maybe make him take a step back and exaggerate the squash before the jump.
-Agree with Pudbawl in that he looks like he leaves the ground before pushing off. It seems now like an external force is pushing him instead of the energy coming from himself. The problem might be that his legs are still bent when he leaves the ground. Try keeping the legs straightened just before he leaves then when he's at the peak of his jump, make the legs follow through the action.
-His head doesn't have much movement throughout. If you made his head bend backwards after he pushes off, it would make the leap seem more forceful.
-Might wanna make his legs just a little bit straighter just before he lands. That would give a nicer arc. His feet are firmly rooted to the ground which i think is almost impossible after jumping from such a height. Think about giving him abit of a stumble.
-A camera shake would be nice when he lands.

Hope this is helpful :)

Love the character design you got there! Keep it up!

kgaulin
05-05-2005, 04:30 AM
Thanks again to everyone for their critiques. I went in and changed a few things. Here is another pass at the animation. Please let me know what you think.....http://www.kg3d.com/jump2.htm

Robert Diaz
05-05-2005, 06:09 AM
I didn't look at the first animation so I can't comment specifically on the improvements you've made. The first thing that I notice is the lack of anticipation. Like was previously stated the character could step back with one leg and kind of crouch for when he jump up and out. There also didn't seem to be enough movement with the arms during the take off. I imagine him really thrusting his arms out as he jumps off the edge. Hope this helps. Good Luck!:thumbsup:

Frogman
05-05-2005, 09:57 PM
This is a definate improvement over the original animation.. I agree with Robert Diaz.. there needs to be more anticipation -- even better if he could come off screen at a bit of a run but I don't know if you're wanting to try that. I like that you got more change in the body but try holding it longer.. he is already in the crouched cannonball sort of position at the apex of the jump. Don't squash him so much so soon.. I see that you get him out of the pose by extending one leg (I like that nice landing) but the change just happens to soon.

There is definately more impact on the jump.. he really overshoots forward but you can pull him back a bit and just have the reaction to the landing be stronger.. bring him up faster. He might even take a step forward to regain some balance.

Its looking great! Boy I love that character.. keep up the good work.

ShiroiOokami
05-06-2005, 09:54 AM
One thing I noticed was how the arms both in the same position throughout most of the animation...try changing it up, at least somewhere in the animation...preferebly around the 3rd pose in frogman's picture, which does not have the hands in the same position :P

kgaulin
05-07-2005, 07:42 AM
I think that I might be getting close, but let me know what you guys think. I want to start animating him running up to the ledge in a day or so.....
http://www.kg3d.com/jump3.htm

nemirc
05-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Hello there. I didn't see this one at the 10 secs so I post my answer here.

I think it looks better than the previous one... a lot better.
The crouch is bothering me. You crouch your character and then make it take the last "thrust". This is ok but I think it is not enough to do it with the arms. For that final "energy gather" you could also move your hip a little down/back.

When he lands I like it that he uses his hands to prevent his face from hitting the ground, however I find it little impossible to bend the feet that way. I think it would be better if the toes are bent and supporting the lower part instead of the whole foot. Try to put yourself in that position and you will feel a lot of pain in the heel area...

I hope this helps and I wait for the next one :thumbsup:

Animonster
05-08-2005, 08:50 PM
Hi there,
It looks like you have the right idea. The timing seems to work, but the balance of the character looks a bit too far forward upon Bob's landing. I'd also say to change some of the poses to something a little more interesting - they all seem very similar. You are on the right path, though, keep it up.

Sp3ctre
05-09-2005, 06:17 AM
I agree with nemirc about the feet during the landing
I also think you can stretch him out a little bit more right before he hits the ground, he did jump from quite a height, which leads me to
his hands should hit the ground harder and faster, otherwise his knees are really going to feel it, I know from personal experience jumping off of my house

Kimotion
05-10-2005, 08:45 AM
hi kgaulin,
nice anim. I think it would read better if you had the squash before the jump have timing similar to that of the jump or at least, to jump that far and that high, he'd have to really squat down...essentially wind up, way more than he's doing. He needs to show more weight on the landing, he's recovering form a very high jump you show it in the torso, but drop the hips more, too. Pre landing, try having him stretch down for the ground. There is a bit of twinning on the arms on impact, might be neat to mess with his shoulder alignment a bit...have one higher and the same hip lower...maybe have one foot touch first. also he lands flat footed, could read better if his toes or heels hit first and the rest of the foot slams down on the next frame. good start!
e

Wow Monstersauce, fellow AnimationMentor Mentee. You said all things I was gonna say.

I want to mention that the camera move is unnecessary. In animation you don't want anything that would take attention away from the character and it's motion.

It's a great start though!

LEGC
05-10-2005, 12:15 PM
From life experience, I think when somebody is jumping foward, the body will continue the momentum. So, I believe that is difficult to maintain the feet in the same position that they have when they hit the ground, at the end you will be a little foward, and then you can stand up. :bounce:

nemirc
05-10-2005, 05:28 PM
From life experience, I think when somebody is jumping foward, the body will continue the momentum. So, I believe that is difficult to maintain the feet in the same position that they have when they hit the ground, at the end you will be a little foward, and then you can stand up. :bounce:

That was exactly my point :thumbsup:
Not only that but if the character tried to do that I believe the bone would come out of the socket :twisted:

Now that I think about it people that actually know how to land know that you have to land on our toe and then plant the whole foot. Since the character falls forward then you have to obmit the "plant the foot" part.

Sp3ctre
05-10-2005, 09:04 PM
Now that I think about it people that actually know how to land know that you have to land on our toe and then plant the whole foot. Since the character falls forward then you have to obmit the "plant the foot" part.

In this situation, yes, the toe would hit the ground first becuase he's jumping down from a height, but if the character were jumping in a more forward direction, the heel would hit first on the landing

kgaulin
05-10-2005, 10:53 PM
I see what you guys said about his feet. I put some more foot roll in there and tweaked a few other things as well........
http://www.kg3d.com/jump4.htm

gagn
05-10-2005, 11:43 PM
It has improved a lot since the first jump.
It could be even better though.

Personally I find he's flying much too high considering he jumped from a standing position.
It would be more believable had he come running.
But never mind, it's cool.
Something that looks weird still though is his trajectory through the air. It seems the first part of the jump is a nice half-arch. But for the next half he falls straight downwards? Like he was stopped by an invisible barrier...
Should be easy to tweak the depth of the x-axis.

My 5 pesos.

Best of luck,
Gabriel

Sp3ctre
05-11-2005, 12:24 AM
that made his feet a little less painful, but you may need to take it farther and put his knees on the ground and that will come easier if he lands on his toes first.

kgaulin
05-13-2005, 11:18 PM
I finally got around to animating Bob running up to the ledge. I am going for a sort of cartoony look for this animation. Please feel free to give me your opinions.......
http://www.kg3d.com/animation8.htm

nemirc
05-14-2005, 05:06 AM
Hey there. I dig the new concept, very nice.

I think the run at the begining looks kinda stiff. Also... I am not sure but I think that when he is trying to keep balance the arms should be swinging on the oposite direction.

I still believe that you are putting a lot of stress on the ankles, and when he springs up the hand suddenly snaps into positon.

Very good work, though! You are doing great :bounce:

Sp3ctre
05-15-2005, 01:44 AM
there are a lot of problems with the run, first there's some sliding of the feet, and then there's no up and down motion of the hips as weight is transferred between feet. also, it doesn't look like you did anything to the actual jump sequence

CGTalk Moderation
05-15-2005, 01:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.