PDA

View Full Version : Expression for Lighting falloffs ?

essencedesign
04-23-2005, 12:05 AM
Hey all....I've got a little prob. and a looming delivery on a shot......and I need a little expression help ...

I've got a lighting kit on an object with falloffs for each light ...12 in total...I've got it tweeked just perfect but it was just brought to my attention that this particular object will need to be scaled on a per shot basis....

anyways could someone help me with a method or expression so my lighting rig falloffs will scale with the object....I have a feeling it will be an expression , but I have no experience writing them.

I hope I'm not being to vauge here, any help will be greatly apprecitated ...Thanks in advance !

CourtJester
04-23-2005, 05:41 AM
connect the falloff range on all your lights to the "scale source" using Channel Follower.

"scale source" means whatever is the root object of the hierarchy, which you are using to scale the entire assembly up or down.

(this assumes that you are scaling all axes equally).

This is done by opening the Graph Editor ("E" button for falloff range), select the "modifiers" tab, and then add the "Channel Follower" modifier. double-click it and then find the source channel. Done.

essencedesign
04-23-2005, 06:09 PM
Awesome mate...works great for this situation...thanks alot !

Cheers~

Jeremy

Carm3D
04-23-2005, 08:09 PM
As helpful as Follower is, it's good to know how to make expressions.
This tutorial (http://www.richardbrak.net/tutorials/copter/partI.html) seems nice.

essencedesign
04-23-2005, 10:11 PM
Yes certianly one thing on my TO DO list.....but then again...there are many things on that list.... :banghead:

thanks for the link ... :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
04-23-2005, 10:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.