PDA

View Full Version : Cityscape(first project)

phishmann
10-04-2002, 12:42 AM
Hey everybody
this is my first real post here and my first project that i have ever done in cg. im taking a first semester 3d animation course right now and this was our first project. It may look unfinished to most of u(because it doesnt have any textures or anything) but this is how our instructor wanted it.

Here were the project guidelines: Design, build, light, and photograph (i.e. render) a fictional city. Design a city full of imaginary buildings and structures completely void of any inhabitants (imagine visiting an abandoned alien city in some distant galaxy or a medieval city as the backdrop for a new computer game). Limit your composition to polygonal primitives only with no color (grayscale only). Consider interesting lighting scenarios and camera placement to simulate time of day, mood, energy, and the overall “feeling” you want to convey.

Feel free to c&c at this stage i probably need it the most(hope the image works if not tell me)

PureFire
10-04-2002, 04:59 AM
looks nice but you forgot to add windows etc....would look much better textured:applause:

Rye
10-04-2002, 06:08 AM
i think you've got a great start, especially for this being your first project and it being all standard primatives. First thing i noticed is that there are no shadows, that will add a lot once you do that. What kind of feeling are you going for? I think a more dramatic camera angle would suit such a moody, dark scene. Try an angle looking up, maybe even tilt the camera just a little, or a lot if you want it to seem over dramatic. IMO the standard 640x480 is too boring, try a nice wide angle shot like 640 by 360. The only other thing i can think of is that the tower in the middle of the shot looks out of place. I think using the same shape for that as you did the other towers in the castle would suit it better, but thats just me. Keep up the good work, post an update when yer done!

rye

Totitch
10-04-2002, 11:54 AM
Great! i really like this castel design! :thumbsup:

Work on textures...:wip:

phishmann
10-05-2002, 09:59 PM
thnks guys
i know that the scene would look better with textures but thats not what i was going for on this project. it was more of a camera ange/light project. maybe ill put textures on later once i learn how.

Danoku
10-05-2002, 10:24 PM
Looking at the limits your instructor put on your project i think this is great, i wish i had come out of the starting blocks as strong as you. I like the the rounded domes and the bridges, the only thing that gave me a pause is the two tower near the middle of the frame, very medieval looking while the rest of the buildings have a more islamic/eastern look to them, it kinda broke up the continuity of it for me, but its just my take, i think is a wonderful image and i like the lighting, tho i think a few more lights behind some of the building on buildings opposite would give a better ambient feel. I really like it.

Vovik3D
10-06-2002, 03:56 PM
Procceed to texturing... Made as Lord of Rigns style

OggieBoogie
10-06-2002, 07:42 PM
hey man..ur on the right track...here u go... a lill something to use as a guide (from the visual master DUSSO)

http://www.dusso.com/images/mp02/MP08.JPG

keep it up!

rason
10-06-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by phishmann
thnks guys
i know that the scene would look better with textures but thats not what i was going for on this project. it was more of a camera ange/light project. maybe ill put textures on later once i learn how.

ok well then i have nothing to say except good job:beer:

phishmann
10-07-2002, 03:07 AM
awsome oggieboogie
that was my reference. im glad that it reminded you of it:beer:
i didnt want it too look so much like it cause that may have gotten complicated for the time i had to do it in by ill work on it some more on my personal time thnx

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.