PDA

View Full Version : win XP home or pro??

gordon7up
04-22-2005, 04:56 PM
hi all,

Im running maya on win XP home and have been for a while, is there any benefit in upgrading to pro? i.e. stability improvements, performance, etc?

thanks,
Gordon

-Vormav-
04-22-2005, 11:04 PM
The only big advantages that Pro has over Home (From what I've seen, anyway) deals with networking stuff. Networking on xp home is a buggy, unusable mess.
It didn't really have an effect on me until I started trying to setup network rendering through my pc. Max's backburner worked fine, BUT I needed to be able to setup a network drive to avoid having to physically move back and forth between computers. XP home simply could not do this on my network. (Similarly, most of the time, xp home won't even let me browse workgroup computers on the network properly, whereas xp pro handles it without any problems).

If you're not going to be getting into any sort of networking like that, then it probably isn't worth the upgrade. I haven't noticed any major stability/performance improvements on xp pro; the only big advantage is that the networking *works*

alanmac
04-22-2005, 11:07 PM
Hi Gordon

I can remember a question like this before.

If you do a search I'm sure you'll find the thread.

If my memory serves me correctly it was generally agreed that it main advantage came into use when you have a machine with dual processors, as this OS recognises them and uses them as opposed to Home which does not.

Other than that I think you'll find the answer as no, XP "home" is fine, save your money.

Alan

CGTalk Moderation
04-22-2005, 11:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.