PDA

View Full Version : Texturing problem

icedeyes
10-04-2002, 12:25 AM
I am in the works for my demoreel but something came up that hindered me from the very begining.... I have a character in my demo and i apply a lambert texture on him and then i use a uv texture projection on him but when i go to the texture editor i get the following scrambled mesh.... what is wrong??? Is there a way to unwrap the uvs properly??? thanks in advance....

The texture editor:

icedeyes
10-04-2002, 12:27 AM
it is for this model:

ggg
10-04-2002, 03:55 AM
Bernard can best answer this
my 2 cents suggestions:
-use more than one projection
-use subprojections
-use the smooth script on
http://www.claus-figuren.de/3d/rt/
so that places likt ears and ose don't overlap. I think the smooth script works best by first applying a reverse shrinkwrap out to a highly simplified version of your mesh then smooth op then apply UVs and then copy them back to your original. This method gives niiice spaaaced unmesssy UVs.

Atyss
10-06-2002, 06:36 PM
Graham is on the right track.

To map a head, you have to use several projections. Well, one projections and several subprojections.

Start by applying a frontal planar map to the face. So the facial features will show up in the Texture Editor withtout needing too much editing. Move the selected samples outside the texture area.

Then, in the viewport, in polygon mode, select the polygons of both sides of the head (not the top nor the neck) and apply a planar subprojection. In the TE, move the selected samples outside the texture area.

Then do the inferior part of the jaw, same thing. Then the top of the head.

For the neck, you can a cylindrical subprojection instead of planar.

Finally, you have to recombine everything together using the editing tools in the TE. Use the Collpase tools, the SRT tools, and the mirror tools. In the end, you should end up with something like this (the whole body is included here):

http://membres.lycos.fr/grimoireinterdit/img_demo/UVislands.jpg

In this example, the top if the head and the neck are separated, but you could easily combine them with the rest of the head. However, you will have a lot of stretching on top of the head, you will have to compensate in Photoshop when you paint the texture.

Notice that the ears and the nostrils are separated too. Again, if you do that, you have to paint the texture very carefully to avoid any seam.

Also, notice that you see only one half of each body part. This is because I mirrored one half and placed on top the other half. This way I reduce my work by 2.

Finally, as you can see, I included the whole body in only one projection. All of this is the result of many subprojections and a lot of UV editing. Even with subprojections, editing UV can be a tedious process, especially with hires objects like this one.

Don't forget to oftenly freeze the projection. Otherwise you'll end with a huge history stack, slowing down your machine. When you freeze the projection, you'll all the texture supports created by the subprojections disappear.

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

icedeyes
10-07-2002, 08:49 AM
Thanks a million guys... Great help.... Even though i still have some problems, I think that i will be able to solve them by myself.... Thanks again.....

PANZER
10-12-2002, 07:17 AM
ermm... what projections do you guys recommend on texturing the haed? i'll get a seam showin the 2 textures when using subprojections... how can i fix that?

PANZER
10-12-2002, 07:18 AM
ermm... what projections do you guys recommend on texturing the haed? i'll get a seam showin the 2 textures when using subprojections... how can i fix that?
:hmm:

icedeyes
10-12-2002, 12:30 PM
I am new to this too but i use cylindrical projection or two planar projections (one for the front and one for the back of the head) and get no seam thus far.... Hope i have been of some help..

Atyss
10-12-2002, 03:11 PM
Personally, I use cylindrical only for the neck. The rest is planar only: one for the front of the head, one for the sides, one for the top, one for the back, one for "under the jaw", and one for the hears. You can see on the picture I poste there are even projections for the nostrils and the eye sockets (the character doesn not have eyes).

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

ggg
10-12-2002, 11:24 PM
If bald head and seen from other angles I find a spherical works well, again works very well with the smooth script and shrinkwarp to sphere method outlined earlier. The seam issue can be overcome depending on app used to paint some have blends for each side.

icedeyes
10-12-2002, 11:58 PM
Here is a pic of the, almost, fully textured character (eyes, hair and cloth missing)... What do you think for my first texturing atempt on a character... I created thetexture all by myself... Thanks in advance....

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.