PDA

View Full Version : Dreaming in your favorite app's GUI yet?

GOTgraphic
04-22-2005, 03:02 AM
The other night I dreamt via Illustrator's GUI... for the first time. It was really quite interesting (and I think falls in the "inspirations, influences" category).

Dream: I moved my car out of the garage to the driveway. There I began applying graphics (various flames and stripes) to the sides and top with the pen-tool. I also tinted the windows and gave them gradients.

Then came time to rotate the tires. I used the direct-selection-tool and started the multiple mouse-clicks on the wheel/tire grouping to get the whole wheel/tire selected. When it was selected I dragged it up and away from the wheel-well opening and immediately, all-at-once I noticed that not only was the wheel/tire grouping weightless but also that the lug-nuts were still attached to the wheel! I woke up confused, because the dream started not making sense... LOL.

Does this make me an official graphic designer now :D

So, have any of you dreamt in your favorite app's GUI yet :)

Jiokah
04-22-2005, 04:26 AM
I hate to say it but I dream about Maya all the time. Once I was modelling something and the more I worked on it the more wire frame I made, then I got tangled up in the wire frame as if I was in a spider's web or something. I couldn't get loose. Odd? I'd say so!

paperclip
04-22-2005, 11:45 AM
I've had nightmares in max.
Most of them involve moving vertices until they resemble nothing known to mankind, or making something that looks sooo nice and easy and good, then doing a test render and seeing lots of fragmented geometry, missing polys and......things...
That was a pretty scary one.
Another thing I have is- I dream about doing something in photoshop or in max and in the dream it seems so good and sensible and 'just right' but it's never that way once you boot up the comp, is it??

L.Rawlins
04-22-2005, 01:04 PM

You're all nuts...

:D

chrisWhite
04-22-2005, 03:38 PM
I know I've dreamed in Lightwave, Avid and *cough* Halo :D Haven't had a Maya dream yet though. Maybe there hope for some sanity.

Schwinnz
04-22-2005, 03:56 PM
I never dreamt of a UI, but when I work on levels I sometimes have dreams in them. Kinda strange. What's cool is that it can give ideas of stuff to add. :D

Jiokah
04-22-2005, 04:16 PM
I never dreamt of a UI, but when I work on levels I sometimes have dreams in them. Kinda strange. What's cool is that it can give ideas of stuff to add. :D

Most of my creative inspiration for 3D and sketching comes from my dreams! Sometimes I'll dream just plain wierd things (as I'm sure the rest of you do too, we're all artists after all!).

adam-crockett
04-22-2005, 06:14 PM
back when i was in school, and spending all day and night in 3dsmax to make a demo reel, I dreamt alot about box modelling, and I once woke up trying to align my two pillows together.

jmBoekestein
04-22-2005, 07:52 PM
I have a ctrl-z issue, when I wake up I try and find the buttons to fall asleep again.:shrug:Otherwise I think you people should seek out professional help...

I'm not kidding...

brudney
04-22-2005, 08:14 PM
yeah, i guess it's pretty normal considering we all are exposed to 3d/2d apps 24/7. i myself dream in wireframe all the time :rolleyes:

ThommyBoy
04-22-2005, 10:11 PM
I have been half asleep and moved my pillow with the rotate gizmo.

Uhh.........In my head. :o)

NICE!

GOTgraphic
04-22-2005, 10:26 PM
ROTFL, this all is busting me up :cool:

LadyMedusa
04-22-2005, 11:19 PM
I've had many of those :D

I remeber once I dremt I was walking in this beautiful Jungle-Forest (they were mixed). Suddenly I found a little ball attatched to some strings.. I said something like "Oh, what a cute little vertex", and looked up and saw the wireframe model of a huge deformed bunny. I felt sorry for it, so I decided to finish it. I scrolled out to make the bunny a little smaller, set up a 3 panel layout, picked up the vertex and started to run towart the point I whanted it, but the bunny fell over me. I felt I had killed it.. So I started to cry polygonal tears..

I had another one that made less sense to me tho'.
I woke up in a badly painted wannabe-surreal world, that I had drawn in photoshop, some years before. So I painted a door on the "wall", then I came in to this ballroom, whit a lot of prople. An un-rendered man came towards me whit a horrid walk-cycle. He tried to say something, but the signal was disturbed, so I said "Jump to Painter IX", and I gave the man a mouth. I thought it would help, but it diden't, so I went back to photoshop and said "Edit in ImageReady" and animated the mouth. I Said "Prewiev in, FIREFOX!" To see if it worked.. Well, the sound came, but it was too fast, and then I got error messages. First a 404 Error - 'File not Found' and then a 406 error saying 'Forbidden'?, and then a whole bunch of html errors.

Marc-OlivierBouchard
04-22-2005, 11:59 PM
A personnal tale:

I was peacefully sleeping next to my girlfriend
when at maybe 3 in the morning, I sat up,
picked a big dictionnary and hit her on the legs with it.
She proceeded to wake up and ask me what did I think I was doing.
I just mumbled "I'm fixing my vertices" and then went back to sleep.

(It is all her story because, as I was "sleepwalking" I don't remember
anything.)

paperclip
04-23-2005, 12:10 AM
I've had many of those :D

I remeber once I dremt I was walking in this beautiful Jungle-Forest (they were mixed). Suddenly I found a little ball attatched to some strings.. I said something like "Oh, what a cute little vertex", and looked up and saw the wireframe model of a huge deformed bunny. I felt sorry for it, so I decided to finish it. I scrolled out to make the bunny a little smaller, set up a 3 panel layout, picked up the vertex and started to run towart the point I whanted it, but the bunny fell over me. I felt I had killed it.. So I started to cry polygonal tears..

I had another one that made less sense to me tho'.
I woke up in a badly painted wannabe-surreal world, that I had drawn in photoshop, some years before. So I painted a door on the "wall", then I came in to this ballroom, whit a lot of prople. An un-rendered man came towards me whit a horrid walk-cycle. He tried to say something, but the signal was disturbed, so I said "Jump to Painter IX", and I gave the man a mouth. I thought it would help, but it diden't, so I went back to photoshop and said "Edit in ImageReady" and animated the mouth. I Said "Prewiev in, FIREFOX!" To see if it worked.. Well, the sound came, but it was too fast, and then I got error messages. First a 404 Error - 'File not Found' and then a 406 error saying 'Forbidden'?, and then a whole bunch of html errors.

OK, that one is actually quite scary.
I'm about to go to sleep now. Hope no UIs come to haunt me in my sleep, although I wouldn't mind having some sort of auto align tool in order to align me to my bed to stop me getting cricks in the neck while I sleep.....

Blikkie
04-25-2005, 10:14 PM
Just this evening I was watching TV and had all kinds of Transport tycoon railwais running through my head, very annoying, and when I was watching I started commenting that the scene looked too sterile, much to the annoyance of my co-watchers of Gladiator.

More on-topic: I have dreamt all kinds of computer stuff (even used it when I woke to resurrect a defunct installation), but my only CGI related dreams were in Solidworks. I suppose that comes with actually thinking like a mechanical engineer. :-)

Jiokah
04-26-2005, 12:48 AM
Yeah, sure it's embarresing to dream in GUI's, but I've dreamt in forums!

I don't see my monitor, no desk, nothing.....all I see are forums, and I'm talking to people and having discussions with 'em....all in the form of posts.

Luckly I've only had one of those dreams, so I'm not completely insane.

Liamlala
04-27-2005, 10:36 AM
I've never dreamt in UI's before, but I've had dreams in which I've met people I've talked to over the net before.. interspersed with characters from various movies and games.

It was really quite scary :P

strobe
04-29-2005, 01:38 AM
After going to VFS and spending several 60-90 hour work weeks developing my demo, I was repeatedly dreaming in XSI. There was no screen or cursor. I would move around the object and pull points with my mind. Eventually it got so bad that I would spend what felt like several hours working on a problem I had when going to sleep, only to wake up and have to do the work all over again. That was quite frustrating, but it did result in my work flow being faster. Now that I'm working regular hours I haven't had these kinds of dreams again.

CGTalk Moderation
04-29-2005, 01:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.