PDA

View Full Version : Separating Surfaces in XSI

NeptuneImaging
04-22-2005, 01:51 AM
Is there a way to separate surfaces by object? Such as I am practising how to create surfaces for a ground and and a vase...is there a way to keep the objects separate from the Scene_root? I would love each object to have its own render tree setup :).

I come from a 3DS, Maya, and LW background so any users of XSI would be very helpful here....

Thanks. :)

Atyss
04-22-2005, 01:57 AM
Select one object, apply a material, select the other object, apply a material, they have a separate render tree from now on...

Cheers
Bernard

leigh
04-22-2005, 02:04 AM
Yeah, as Bernard mentioned, you have to select each object and then go Get> Material> and then assign one :) Then you can just hit 7 on each object to bring up its own render tree.

I tend to name my individual materials as well, so that things don't become too confusing once the scene starts getting big. It's just a good habit to get into.

NeptuneImaging
04-22-2005, 02:06 AM
Such as select my object, Get>Material>Whatever Shader or Tex, and do the same for the other one right?

I tried it today and both surfaces changed from Phong to Blinn...I will try again and post my first project here....

Thanks a bunch :)

NeptuneImaging
04-22-2005, 02:08 AM
Hey Leigh,

What's up? Good thing you are here... I jumped from the other packages but your input will be very helpful...the only thing I find daunting is the Render Tree.... So I just Get Material, and apply it to an object, and repeat for the other ones...

Sweet...

And I love the shaders in XSI

JoeW
04-22-2005, 03:02 AM
Such as select my object, Get>Material>Whatever Shader or Tex, and do the same for the other one right?

I tried it today and both surfaces changed from Phong to Blinn...I will try again and post my first project here....

Thanks a bunch :)

You may have inadvertently modified the Scene Material (i.e. the "default" material assigned to everything before you assign a unique material). To see if you have, in fact, assigned new materials, open an Explorer window (hit 8 on your keyboard) and then hit "m" on the keyboard - this will give you a list of all the materials in the scene. You should have one unique material listed for every object you've assigned one to, PLUS the Scene Material (if you look closely at the little blue ball beside the material name, you'll see either a 0, 1, or "n" - this tells you how many objects have this material assigned... although "n" just says "more than one"). If you only see the Scene Material in the list, you're missing a step somewhere.....

JoeW

leigh
04-22-2005, 03:06 AM
Hey Leigh,

What's up? Good thing you are here... I jumped from the other packages but your input will be very helpful...the only thing I find daunting is the Render Tree.... So I just Get Material, and apply it to an object, and repeat for the other ones...

Sweet...

And I love the shaders in XSI

Yep! Just select the individual object, go Get> Material and choose a Phong or Blinn or whatever :) This will create a new material specific to that object.
If you to to Get>Assign Material, it always creates a Phong by default (however, it is still a seperate material). In XSI, the materials are the same as surfaces in LightWave - the Phong, Blinn, etc are shading models - it's a part of the structure that LightWave doesn't give you control over, so don't get confused between the material and the shader.

The render tree is definitely very cool but a bit daunting when you first see it, coming from LightWave! I have completely switched over to XSI now and am loving every second of it :D

You should pop over to www.xsibase.com as well - some cool XSI stuff over there :)

NeptuneImaging
04-22-2005, 03:58 AM
Hey, Leigh, I found it and it works...:) The render tree is starting to get a little easier...since I am familiar with Maya Hypershade. The displacements are so much fun to use....and XSI base is really good...

But of course I do not have HAIR and RBD right now. I can fake it though. I am tempted to try out the glass shader and the SSS. And XSI Region Render puts VIPER to shame....and it is damn near fast....

Are you good with the particles...

JDex
04-22-2005, 04:09 AM
Halo... I see you're in Boston...

If we get a few more S. New England XSI users, we may be able to have some impromptu XSI user get togethers. :thumbsup:

Digi from XSIbase is around here as well. Cheers and welcome to XSI.

NeptuneImaging
04-22-2005, 04:32 AM
Yeah, thanks Dude....:thumbsup:

I was at the XSIbase and I tried to the waterfall tutorial and could not follow it too well, because the results were different...I am very tempted to do the displacement mapping and fluid simulation for a rain storm...

The render region is a DREAM. And I would be more than happy to be in an XSI user group...I am planning my first short film using it. Do any of you know of a Rigid Body open source plugin for XSI?

Thanks again. I will hope to post my first test here...

CGTalk Moderation
04-22-2005, 04:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.