PDA

View Full Version : Camera Links / Tutorials

suradtaylor
04-21-2005, 11:24 PM
Hi everyone,
Though I've posted this in the general section but later thought it will be better if I asked it here.
Looking for any good link where i can read up on cameras and lenses as well as film stocks, grading and posting. My goal is to learn as much as possible leaning towards green/blue screen work, and some bit of outdoor shot for capturing background plates. And also to find the most affordable (entry level "kind-of" camera) for production of commercials.

Thanks in advance

Sura

Matty2Phatty
04-23-2005, 04:10 PM
This is just my opinion, and i'm likely to be shot down, but if your main aim is the CG added in post, i would highly recommend you buy an HD camera rather than film. Firstly because the cost of getting your footage to your computer is WAY cheaper, and secondly because you don't have to worry about the film grain, and thirdly because it's digital, your greens and blues will be more solid, so it can be more easily chroma keyed.

If you were to buy a 35mm camera, i would definitely suggest you go HD instead, but if you were looking at a 16mm camera, then maybe you should go film.

a 35mm camera is about $100 000, which is the same price as a top of the range HD camera (better than the one used in Star Wars and Once Apon a Time in Mexico) but a 16mm is only about $15 000, and the HD cameras in that range have all kinds of compression crap on it that just makes it not really worth your time.

The main difference though is the telecining to get your film into a digital format, it is DAMN expensive, so that's a good reason to look into HD.

Sorry if i didn't answer everything.

suradtaylor
04-23-2005, 04:54 PM
ThanKs Matty, that's insightful. Is there any model range you might recommend?

Matty2Phatty
04-23-2005, 05:07 PM
For HD? or DV? or 16mm? or 35mm? ... Or Betacam, while we're listing formats ;)

suradtaylor
04-23-2005, 09:55 PM
Thanks. HD of course. Thinking HD (at least on your suggestions :) ) and remember my mentioning about a few outdoor shots.

Thanks Matty.

CGTalk Moderation
04-23-2005, 09:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.