PDA

View Full Version : Music that inspire you..

StealthPharaoh
04-21-2005, 11:56 AM
alright we got movies that inspire u,artwork that inspire u and books that inspire u threads..lol..but i was wondering about what type of music inspires you the most..

personally music is my main inspiration..it's when everything clicks and i get that wierd feelings and start picturing my ideas..i was mainly interested to know if there are any ambient music lovers here..but u can tell us about your favorite music too

for me i listen to ambient, techno, trance and acid mainly..i like the extrems..ambient music can be so quite like air..and acid music can be so crazy and loud

some of my favorites for ambient music are:
Steve roach and Robert rich (they are the Gods of ambient and dark music..their music is mental and so unique)..also Vir Unis,Vidna Obmana,Michael Streans, Alio Die, Raison D'etre, Dead Can Dance and i'm a huge fan of Hearts Of Space which is a weekly program that plays ambient music

for techno and trance:
my favorite of course is Paul Okenfold..he's so good that i almost stopped listnening to all other techno artists..lol
but John Digweed, Sasha, Tiesto, Ferry Corsten, Paul Van Dyke, Deepsky, Astral Projection and Solar Quest are also my favorites

usually words don't do it for me but some of the older songs i still like..
so any other ambient or techno/trance music listeners here or you listen to something different

Rudeone
04-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Music is defenitly a great inspiration to me. I'm currently working on a videogame prototype, still in a conceptual stage, although we did start modeling two leading characters.
I find it very relaxing and inspiring to listen music when I travell by train, it always helps me to paint vivid pictures and play movies in my head and come up with character bg stories, very usefull.

My taste of music is very diverse, infact I probably like most genres.
Some of my favorite artists and bands are: Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Rammstein, the Hives, Greenday, Queens of the Stoneage, De-Phazz (just found out about this band, very relaxing jazzy-funky-soul like music), Soulwax, Audio bullys, faithless, chemical Brothers, basement Jaxx, Daft Punk, the Roots, Cake, Auf Der Maur, Moloko, The Dandy Warholes, Garbage, Moby, N.E.R.D, Stereophonics, Kasabian, Shivaree, Fatboy Slim, the Counting Crows, Beyonce (just love that voice), Blur, Weezer, Electric Six, Racoon, Audioslave, Beastie Boys

Wow so many, I could go on and on and on

yonna
04-21-2005, 03:41 PM
I like many types of music. From fusion jazz to trip-hop, from folkmusic to progrock. from classical music to melodic deathmetal. It sure is a source of inspiration no matter in what mood it plays.

Here is a small selection based on moods:

angry, aggression;
slayer, in flames, avenged sevenfold, decapitated, fear factory, kalmah, lamb of god, shadows fall, arch enemy, krisiun, necrophagist, mastodon, nile, symforce, vader, soilwork, killswitch engage, symbyosis, break the silence

scary, strange:
howard shore, frank zappa, fantomas, fear before the march of flames, walls of jericho, buckethead, bumblefoot

sad, melancholy:
opeth, apocalyptica, evanescense, within temptation, graveworm, nevermore, katatonia, medieval baebes, porcupine tree, camel, amplifier, lacuna coil, smashing pumpkins

nostalgic:
ayreon, star one, dream theater, sonata arctica, nightwish, dragonforce, equilibrium, ensiferum, wintersun, thyrfing, amon amarth, finntroll, liquid tension experiment, mahavishnu orchestra, insania, angra

bright, happy:
running potatoes, weezer, belle and sebastian, morcheeba, squirrel nut zippers, jaga jazzists, bach, dick dale, beatallica, mxpx, wes montgomery, herbie hancock, albert king, duke ellington, kasabian

Mahtan
04-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Hi.

I think this thread is really cool since you could get some suggestions about other kinds of music than what you are used to listen

I definetly agree in that music helps a lot while you are working on something
Here are some of my favorites

Jethro Tull my favorite band of all times
Black Sabbath
Deep Purple
Maiden

More recently I've been listening a little of Dream Theater
they have some really, really cool songs, but not all of them, they also have some pretty bad ones too.
I strongly recomend Dance of Eternity.

thanks Stealth Pharaoh
I have wanted for some time to start listening to ambient, techno, trance music, but since I am totally new in that genre I had no idea of where to start, thanks for the suggestions.

Ozymandias
04-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Depending on what I am doing art-wise and what mood i am in my musical selections change.

Upbeat:
Yo Yo Ma, Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Schubert, Maroon 5, Elvis, Eric Clapton

On a roll-type music:
Slayer, Lamb of God, Dilinger Escape Plan, Nothingface, Pantera, Machine Head, Old School Metallica, Fear Factory, Arch Enemy, Cannibal Corpse, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Sepultura, Stravinsky(mostly "The Rite of Spring" that piece is heavy), Messhugga

Inspiration Music:
Yo Yo Ma, Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Schubert, Howard Shore, Holst, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Whatever the name of the composer/song is from Requiem for a Dream, Charlie Parker, Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, Paco Delucio, Eric Clapton, Opeth

that's pretty much it. This is an interesting thread, I like the idea of sharing music choices, I'll probably pick up a few new favorites from this thread, maybe inspire some new artwork.

Aniviel
04-21-2005, 05:18 PM
I like to listen to trip-hop while I'm painting, also Tori Amos and Gackt. There's a lot more, but my taste changes all the time so I'd be here forever listing things. I also like Apocalyptica. =D

SpeccySteve
04-21-2005, 05:46 PM
I listen to music constantly, I always have at least the radio on in the background while I'm working. It's odd this thread should pop up as I just got back from the shops not an hour ago with my new stereo, ( the last one died when my drunken friend fell on it, I have been music-less for a fortnight and it's been doing my head in..) just finished setting it up..

Anyway my taste in music swings wildly from week to week, I'm in a bit of a rock phase this month so I've been mostly listening to..

Bad Religion
Pennywise
AFI
Lost Prophets

For quieter moments
Placebo
Bob Marley
The Killers
Chillis

This time next week I'll likely be listening to camp disco or something...

Edit: My new stereo sounds amazing, I am a happy bunny again \o/

emptyvoxel
04-21-2005, 06:26 PM
Might as well dip my foot in the water here, but with no disclaimers!

Ani Difranco, At the Drive-In, Aveo, Beastie Boys, Beck, Ben Harper, Blackalicious, Bright Eyes, Built to Spill, The Clash, Coldplay, Cream, The Cure, David Bowie, Death Cab for Cutie, The Decemberists, Dismemberment Plan, Dr. Dre, Elliot Smith, Eminem, The Flaming Lips, Franz Ferdinand, Handsome Boy Modeling School, Interpol, Iron & Wine, Jawbreaker, John Vanderslice, Juno, Keane, The Killers, Kings of Leon, Led Zeppelin, MC Solaar, Metric, Modest Mouse, My Morning Jacket, Nick Drake, Nirvana, Of Montreal, Outkast, Pearl Jam, Pinback, Pixies, Postal Service, Prince, Queen, Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Shins, Sondre Lerche, Stars, Strokes, Sunny Day Real Estate, Tori Amos, Weezer, White Stripes, Wilco.

Whew... yeah, that's what I'm listening to now. Sorry for the long list.

~T

Marzocchi
04-21-2005, 06:38 PM
Mostly listen to streaming hard trance or euro dance from DI.

GOTgraphic
04-22-2005, 04:30 AM
UB40
Midnight Oil
TOTO
Talking Heads
The Police
Eiffel 65
INXS
Snap!
YES
Vangelis
...guess I'm dated now :D

I like reggae, funk, dance music the most, and bands that create, write and play their own work (it seems more like art to me that way). Sometimes though, I have to turn off the tunes to think... and other times it seems I can't think without music.

rebuilder
04-22-2005, 10:47 PM
Well, right now it's Mastodon, but a couple of groups that work almost any time are Godspeed you! black emperor and Rachel's. I'm not going to try to define the genres, but both are the kind of music you could just spend your days just listening to, doing nothing else. Quite evocative.

lotaH
04-23-2005, 04:48 AM
JAZZ and BOSSA NOVA

:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Peddy
04-25-2005, 05:35 AM
when im working late (or rather, really early in the morning) i ususally prefer to put on techno. usually tiesto, maybe filo and peri, a trance energy or Magik set usually go down well as they are more than an hour straight music.

also quality aussie bands like Something for Kate.
Radiohead always wins a vote or two.
oh, and Yoko Kanno.
then of course theres 1 Giant Leap (quality socio-ethnic style of music) and faithless.
and the rest..

jmBoekestein
04-25-2005, 11:14 PM
This cd has changed my life. It's extraordinarily well done. I've never heard abything like it afterwards. It usually just sounds like variations on a theme when I hear something else but these gyus are phenomenal.

Artist:Sonic Youth
Album:Daydream Nation.

And of-course this is one of the best pieces of "neo-classical" music around. Igor Stravinsiky's Le Sacre Du Printemps.

PBlades
04-26-2005, 12:00 AM
Jeff Buckley's album Grace is pretty amazing/haunting, then theres things like Boards of Canada for beautiful sounds, and Neil Young is always inspiring. Also Roots Manuva for some mentally ill inspired hip hop.
I also agree about Jethro Tull, 'Teacher' is nice

SpeccySteve
04-26-2005, 12:26 AM
Neil Young is always inspiring.

Greatest Hits ( remastered) is a tenner in the HMV sale for UK peeps..very good indeed.

FreshFish801
04-26-2005, 02:04 AM
For me I like a lot of relaxing music that inspires me. Music like: Yanni, Vangelis, Mehdi, David Arkenstone, Jesse Cook, Hans Zimmer. I like all kinds of music but New Age music is what I like the most.

:buttrock: :applause: :bounce: Keep rocking ! ! !

Faber
04-26-2005, 01:15 PM
the ones that springs to mind right now: aphex twin, biosphere, pink floyd, the doors, autechre, pixies, massive attack, mozart, sisters of mercy, debussy, bach, björk, thelonious monk, miles davis, the mad professor, depeche mode.. oh and goldies album timeless

Parky
04-26-2005, 01:23 PM
the ones that springs to mind right now: aphex twin, biosphere, pink floyd, the doors, autechre, pixies, massive attack, mozart, sisters of mercy, debussy, bach, björk, thelonious monk, miles davis, the mad professor, depeche mode..

Deffo depeche mode, I agree, top group!

Blondie, Kate Bush, Change, Chic, 'Off the wall' album by MJ, The Police; so much to name that I have to stop there!

A.Cerasoli
04-26-2005, 04:21 PM
I listen to Guns N' Roses, Sublime, Blind Melon or Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Gord-MacDonald
04-27-2005, 08:24 AM
Gustav Mahler - esp "Songs of the Earth"
Mozart (esp the operas)
Wager (The Ring)
Mary Begin (awesome tin whistle)
Jean Redpath - esp collaberation with Serge Hovey (interpetations of Robbie Burns)
Manitis De Plata (Flamenco)
Sabicas (Flamenco)
Steppenwolf
ACDC
ABBA
Tom Waites
Michele Shocked
Lenord Cohen
All good bagpipe music esp: piobaireachd (classical bagpipe music)

Lots of others

weasel.acuh5o
04-27-2005, 09:05 AM
that depends a lot on the stuff I'm working on... if it's something agressive I normally go with industrial (fear factory, kmfdm), dark/sad art goes well with something similar (dark tranquility, skyclad), if I already feel inspired I tend to listen to something without lyrics (apocalyptica, drum'n'bass). some bands are more or less neutral to me and will be used more or less randomly... (in flames, iron maiden...)
I have the inital idea quite often when I'm running around or sitting in the bus with my mp3 player...

Liamlala
04-27-2005, 01:34 PM
I find most music inspiring, but I tend to listen to the following when painting:

Sia (A young artist from Adelaide, very haunting and passionate)
Coldplay
Something For Kate
Jack Johnson
Eskimo Joe
Scissor Sisters
Dresden Dolls
George
R.E.M

Of course, there are many more, but I can't remember them right at this moment. Those are the ones I listen to most often, and sometimes I'll suddenly go 'Oh! I need to paint this!' when listening to any of these artists. :)

sonicstrawbery
04-27-2005, 01:51 PM
The music is my first inspiration source but It depends on the mood i'am at the moment, it can go from Jazz/Classic/Trip Hop to RockNRoll/Metal/Experimental

The band/singer i listen most are :

Sonic Youth :love: (jmBoekestein i didn't knew you loved it too !This band is awesome :buttrock:)
Velvet Underground
The Stooges + Iggy Pop
Lou Reed
Neil Young
ACDC
Dinosaur Jr.
The Clash
Tool
Pixies
Nine Inch Nails (can't wait for "With Teeth")

The 70's gods : Led Zep, Jimi, The Doors

More calms are :

Massive Attack
Portishead
Morcheeba
Miles Davis

:buttrock:

alg7
04-29-2005, 03:23 AM
current favorites include: thelonius monk, charlie parker, art blakey and the jazz messengers, herbie hancock, john coltrane, prefuse 73, mf doom, boards of canada, dj shadow, air,squarepusher, the ramones, talking heads --- music helps to get the creative juices flowin.

GrM
04-29-2005, 08:54 AM
Lately: Amon Amarth, Opeth, Nine Inch Nails, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mogwai, The Decemberists, Tom Waits.

A little violence, a little calm, a little theatrics

ulukai33
04-29-2005, 11:22 AM
Metallica :buttrock:

lotaH
04-29-2005, 11:38 AM
current favorites include: thelonius monk, charlie parker, art blakey and the jazz messengers, herbie hancock, john coltrane.

The best!! :buttrock:

Mysterious X
04-29-2005, 02:11 PM
Paco De Lucia, Al Di Meola and John Mclaughlin..amazing trio when they play together..that's when I like it acoustic
if I'm in an electric mood then it's Led Zepp all the way :buttrock:

LOTK
04-29-2005, 02:28 PM
First to say, Great topic, nice to the one who mentioned it.

Music is the eternal fuel, the source of perpetual inspiration and the medium that helps you put feelings into your work, do it with passion.

I like a lot of styles and I am a composer myself. One thing to mention, I do listen to my own music too;p

So here we go, without mentioning many names:

Classical: Chopin (is also my beloved pianist and I like playing on the piano a lot of his works, inlcuding Fantasia Improviso), Vivaldi, Ravel, Prokofiev, Grieg, Shubert, Debussy and many many more.

However its not what I normally listen to. I love jazz and a large field of its variations, Afro Cuban, Latin, Acid, Funk etc Incognito, Michel Camilo, Gonzalo Rubalkaba, Bill Evans, Miles Davis, Ramsy Lewis, Urban Knights, Jaco,Dave Brubeck, Billy Cobam, John Coltrane and many more which I can't remember now;p.

I also get a lot of inspiration by drum n base stuff, though I cannot put LTJ Bukem into that category, I think that's where you usually find him. So, loads of Bukem;)

I like crazy ambient stuff, i.e Susumu Yokota

and finally music taken from games, i.e final fantasy, crono cross, metal gear solid etc etc etc

and also anime music.

Forgot to mention metal, but there are now very few and old bands I still listen to. Also some rocks and some folkloric Celtic music;)

These guys make amazing stuff, always inspiring and always helping relax and concentrate;)

it depends on the mood and the subject...

So, keep walking with music!!

yonna
04-29-2005, 02:35 PM
usually music inspires me to play music, not to do cg stuff. For cg-inspiration I need to see people's cg-work or get feedback from people. So i guess CGtalk is an excellent source of inspiration. :)

TraceR
04-29-2005, 04:05 PM
UT2K4 ONS music. :scream:

Deletedaccount
04-29-2005, 04:50 PM
Good Rap and Hip Hop inspires me te most http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Get a better view on it http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/wise.gif

jmBoekestein
05-02-2005, 12:40 AM
Sonic Youth (jmBoekestein i didn't knew you loved it too !This band is awesome :buttrock

Yeah man! Finally somebody who doesn't need to be persuaded to listen to them. They really kick ass, and never do the same thing twice!:love:

CGTalk Moderation
05-02-2005, 12:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.