PDA

View Full Version : Sound popping problems.

Undead Fred
04-21-2005, 06:05 AM
Hey, everyone. I've had this problem plenty of times in the past, but I was compositing my thesis piece and got some really awful audio popping. I had tried compositing the audio separately from the video, but I was getting some pops in the audio here and there (I didn't THINK it was a levels problem, but I'll check). And when I composited this separate audio into the pre-composited video composition, it made even MORE pops in the audio to where it's completly horrible. The sound was uncompressed, so I don't think it's the compression doing it. Of course the audio I had put in was pop-free, but for some reason when it was actually composited into video form, it screws it up. I was going to try compositing chunks of audio as separate layers of sound instead of a bunch of loose audio files, but I'm not sure if that'll even work. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm making Quicktime videos, by the way.

Shinjipierre
04-21-2005, 10:56 AM
The sound HAS TO be a wave file, after effects has problems with mp3 and other sound codecs...

Undead Fred
04-21-2005, 07:21 PM
OHHHH, okay. I'll try using strictly WAV files, then... the background music was in MP3 format, and when I did the sound composite with SUPER POPPING, the sound track was a MOV file with audio only. I appreciate the help, and I'll probably ask other questions if it still doesn't totally fix it.

Rapier
04-21-2005, 07:57 PM
Do you have access to any other software packages like Vegas or Premiere? You can do audio in After Effects, and even some very basic editing of audio in there as well, but After Effects really is not designed to do any real kind of audio work. If you have access to other software like I mentioned above, many of your audio problems will disappear, as these programs are specifically made to handle video AND audio, whereas After Effects really is mostly for video.

Also, if you are going to make QuickTime movies, you might want to try File>Export and choose it from there. For some reason making a movie from the Composition>Make Movie and choosing QuickTime from there often gives me lesser quality videos, even with all the same settings. I have no idea why it would, but it does. Must be some kind of bug or something.

Undead Fred
04-22-2005, 01:01 AM
Actually, I've been using the file>export option, and I got the minor pops from that particular export (when I was just exporting the loose MP3's and WAV's into one audio-only MOV file). I DO have access to Premiere, though... If I remember right, AfterEffects compositions should open in Premiere, right? I'm going to try just converting the music tracks to WAV's and see if that'll clear things up, but if it's a simple matter of importing the composition with the audio into Premiere, then I may go ahead and do that instead. Thanks again for the advice. I'll let you guys know if it still has problems, though.

mdurwin
04-28-2005, 04:29 PM
If I were you, I'd render out your piece, with audio, popping and all, and dump it into Premiere. Then import the original audio pieces (if there is more than one), turning the rendered video's audio off. I say render the video from AE with audio, in case you need to line up audio files you can use it as a reference track. I never found AE to work really well with audio. Premiere also has alot more options for levels, effects, editing, etc.

THEBIRDBATH
04-28-2005, 09:24 PM
Easy fix if you have quicktime Pro.

NEVER use mp3's with After effects or Final Cut or anyother non-linear editor for that matter.

YOU WILL ALWAYS get better results if you do the following:

1. Open your mp3 in Quicktime Pro (IT has to be pro as you are going to render out a different version)
2. File < Export.
3. Export Option: Sound to AIFF
4. Select 'options' and choose 24 bit integer; 48000 khz, 16 bit Stereo.
Click ok

Render out your new file.

As a rule of thumb remember this when working with audio inside graphics programs.

MP3's work well with Flash and Macromedia Director
Most editors work better with AIFF's (.aif). Especially AfterEffects and Final Cut.

mdurwin
04-28-2005, 11:31 PM
Or you could do the same using iTunes, which is free.

CGTalk Moderation
04-28-2005, 11:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.