PDA

View Full Version : ever been HIT by inspiration?

Kanga
04-21-2005, 12:45 AM
Ever been whacked upside the head by seeing something creative or having a thought like a thunderbolt? When everything goes 'click' and falls into place.

Where and when did it happen?
How did it change the way you look at art?
How did it affect your work?
Can you make it happen by working yourself silly or is it something you can't force?

I'd be interested in reading about your 'seen the light' story.

doodlehead
04-21-2005, 02:16 AM
I got whacked by the songwriting fairy back in 2000 the company I was working for went under and I filed for divorce and my dad had a stroke and I met this woman... don't know where it all came from but I think it came from being really pent up inside and not killing anyone.

TheDweller
04-21-2005, 02:21 AM
Don't think I've ever had a creative inspiration that strong, although there have been lots of creativity giving me a nice tap on the shoulder.

Closest I've had to that "hit over the head" feeling was when anatomy all fell into place for me. I knew the muscles and bones well, and had tried to apply a lot of different approaches, but the results often came up feeling flat and stiff. Then an instructor suggested I look at George Bridgeman's books, and BAM it all came together for me. So many other books had anatomy and could show me every muscle, but only Bridgeman drew what I needed to be thinking. It wasn't the individual muscles that were important, it was the shapes they made together and the flow of the pose. For me, he showed me "draw this, but THINK this".

Lunatique
04-21-2005, 05:18 AM
Happens all the time, especially in the shower. It just comes and I have no control over it. I've talked about it with Steven before and he thinks it's because the hot water makes the blood flow more through the brain or something. When it happens, I'll walk out of the shower with a huge smile, and my wife will look at me and say, "Another brilliant idea in the shower eh?" I'll then proceed to blabber on and on about the inspiration--usually idea for a story, idea for a game, idea for a painting, idea for a photograph, arrangement for a piece of music..etc.

As far as being hit over the head by other people's work, there are some that were very powerful for me.

Seeing Macross: Do You Remember Love? for the first time in 1987. It changed my life. Even though I was already a fan of anime and manga, I had never seen such a high quality one as the Macross movie. The intricate and elaborate designs that created such a complete and real alternate universe, from the spaceships, cars, buildings, to the characters..etc. I loved the animation, the plot, the music, and I worshipped Mikimoto Haruhiko's character designs and artworks. Because of that movie, I decided that I could only be happy in this life if I did something creative--be it art, music, or directing.

Reading Appleseed by Shirow Masamune for the first time in the late 80's. That also changed my life. I was completely drawn into that universe, and the maturity/sophistication of the plot and feel of the whole series just blew me away.

Macross had made me want to be an animation director, but I knew I only wanted to work in anime (Western animation in general just felt too much like children's entertainment). Toren Smith of Studio Proteus (they translated Appleseed into English) talked me out of going to Japan by explaining to me the impossibility of my dream. Because of Appleseed, I realized that I don't have to be in animation to create an immersive universe. Appleseed led me to become a comic book creator/writer/artist, and I ended up doing it professionally for about 8 years.

Reading Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Hoeg in the late 90's. It wasn't the plot that awed me--it was the writing style. The introspection of the character, the exploration of her emotional world, along with her family past--happening in conjunction with the actual plot. After reading that book, I could never go back to reading typical sci-fi/fantasy again--they just seem so shallow in comparison to more serious literature. Smilla's Sense of Snow forever changed me as a writer. (There were other books that hit me hard emotionally, but they didn't exactly inspire me or change me as a person.)

The first time I did multi-track recording with my synth and sequencer in 1991--that was it. That was heaven. I knew then and there that I'll be making music for the rest of my life.

First time I opened up my copy of Richard Schmid's Alla Prima book years ago--I felt like I had found artistic perfection.

The first time I fired shots from my Canon 1D Mark II, I thought, "So, THIS is what real photography feels like." It was a surreal experience because with a 50mm f/1.4 lens on, the depth of field was so shallow--precisely what I was missing when I shot with a point & shoot consumer digicam.

First time I flipped through The Great Pinup Book when it was first published, it floored me. I had very little exposure to classic illustration of that time period, and that book was so well designed, and the reproductions for the paintings were of such high quality that I was holding my breath. When I got to Gil Elvgren's section, it was love at first sight.

maX_Andrews
04-21-2005, 05:56 AM
Agreed, happens all the time, mostly randomly associating thoughts when my mind wanders during the day. Recently I've tried to keep an idea book or notepad handy in my backpack to jot these things down, and it has really been helping me creatively.

I enjoyed reading about your inspirations Lunatique, being a student in art school at the moment and seeing lots of inspiring thought has sparked many similar feelings in myself. It's great to know that it never ends :)

Now all I need is a girl to jabber with when I get out of the shower...

Kanga
04-21-2005, 07:02 PM
doodlehead
He he the songwriting fairy! That cunjures up images :) . Wow what a crappy time, well you got a nice lady out of it :thumbsup: .

The Dweller
Yeah thats what I mean by things falling into place! I am going to google that one. This really helps your work when suddenly your understanding deepens. What a great feeling. Idon't believe you could have had this experience with out all your prior study first though. That gets you ready for the BANG effect. Thanx for your story.

Lunatique
Wow what can I say? Going to shower right now then :thumbsup: .
Going to look up those scources of inspiration as many are unfamiliar to me. I share your feeling for multi tracking. I started out with overdubing on 2 cassette recorders in the old days. These days with 32 tracks in cubase and piano sounds that actually SOUND like a piano I am in heaven too!
Thanxs very much for your inspiring story.

maX_Andrews
The habit of writting ideas down will stand you in good stead for the rest of your life. If you do this you will never be short of projects to work on. I do this while falling asleep, my eyes will shoot open then its out of bed to jot down a character idea, poems or lyrics for a whole song, then its back to bed and sweet sleep.
As far as a girl is concerned,.... what real woman could resist a creative intelligent art student? :thumbsup:

It has been a real joy to read your reactions and stories. I have had my own great shake up while doing the Masters and Servants challenge and will write it here when I am finished,.... now back to work :) .

Kind regards
Chris.

GOTgraphic
04-22-2005, 03:09 AM
I find that I am most inspired when I have enough sleep... hah hah... but wait, when does that happen ;)

Seriously, when I do a lot of deep thinking and never ending development on a given project... to the point of mind-numbing monotony... and when I go past that, when I am basically at the end of my imaginative-historical-capability... that seems to be when I get "inspired" its like work.

doodlehead
04-22-2005, 03:25 AM
Hey Kanga! The lady thing didn't work out in the end. So it goes! But at least the depressive songwriting fairy hasn't hit me again. I've posted some songs at http://www.doodlehead.com/thm if'n anyone's interested. The ones appearing above "ARCHIVAL" are from that period.

INFINITE
04-22-2005, 08:39 AM
I find driving really gives you time too think, I get my best ideas in the car for some reason! !

Kanga
04-23-2005, 01:51 AM
doodlehead
Aw cmon,... youre Richard Thompson arn't ya. How else would you have that singing voice and live in the US? :thumbsup:

Anyhow you should move to Ireland,... do you a world of good.

doodlehead
04-23-2005, 02:47 AM
Sounds good! I work from home anyways so I'm pretty portable. Ireland here I come... maybe in five years...

Richard Thompson huh? First time I've heard that comparison!

-Vormav-
04-23-2005, 03:25 AM
I occaisonally get "whacked upside the head" just when watching movies. I wouldn't say that its changed the way I look at art, but it certainly gets my brain going for awhile, obsessing over some new project. It takes a really good movie to do that, though.
Aside from that, most of my ideas come to me right about when I lie down to go to sleep. It's really annoying, because then I'll sit in bed thinking about it for an hour or two...or three...or four, until I eventually stop fighting back, and get up and start working on something for an hour or two, before becoming tired enough again to be able to put everything down and go get 4 hours of sleep. x_x

As far as a girl is concerned,.... what real woman could resist a creative intelligent art student? :thumbsup:
Aside from most of them? ;)

John Keates
04-23-2005, 08:33 AM
There could be something in the 'oxygen to the brain' theory. I sometimes do a lot of walking. I just go get lost in the hills or the woods and I find that I get lots of thoughts that way.

I think that open countryside is better as your thoughts seem bigger.... or maybe I'm just not so worried about bumping into a tree.

Faber
04-23-2005, 10:37 AM
Most often I get "whacked" with inspiration just before falling asleep. Sometimes the result is me getting to sleep hours later since I enjoy staying in this space and perhaps even spend time writing some down or making sketches. The only time I am certain not to get "wacked", is when I try too hard to get inspired. The rest of the time its random occurances. Usually its flashes of imagery, sometimes still images, sometimes alive. Sometimes its this dull not black, not blue not grey, void of absolute nothingness with a big empty sound and a hint of tinitus ;)

Something that always triggers my inspiration is when I throw myself into something workwise and allow myself to experiment and make mistakes. Suddenly things arrive I would have never come up with. Then I Go with that idea and stop going with it the moment it becomes controlling or confining, then go with the next and so on. (this works best with drawing, painting or compositing for me, I have come to learn that the necessary planning when working with a 3D project usually limits the free process).

/kasper

Kanga
04-23-2005, 11:39 AM

Richard Thompson huh? First time I've heard that comparison!
He wrote this number about a black vincent motorcycle and a girl called red molly I really love. :)
I occaisonally get "whacked upside the head" just when watching movies. I wouldn't say that its changed the way I look at art, but it certainly gets my brain going for awhile, obsessing over some new project. It takes a really good movie to do that, though.
Aside from that, most of my ideas come to me right about when I lie down to go to sleep. It's really annoying, because then I'll sit in bed thinking about it for an hour or two...or three...or four, until I eventually stop fighting back, and get up and start working on something for an hour or two, before becoming tired enough again to be able to put everything down and go get 4 hours of sleep. x_x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga
As far as a girl is concerned,.... what real woman could resist a creative intelligent art student?

Aside from most of them?
Let them sneer as they may,.... I have watched kill bill 1 & 2 about 4 times now,... that gets me going,.... especially the animated part. I identify with the sleep thing. And BTW it sounds like you arn't surrounded by too many real women then :thumbsup:
I sometimes do a lot of walking. I just go get lost in the hills or the woods and I find that I get lots of thoughts that way.
Couldn't agree more. I like to rollerblade around a lake here in Holland and find it helps solve 3D problems like modelling and rigging puzzles. Its about 18km and I try to do it each day. I am almost 47 so the sight of some old guy wizzing past with his goatee in the wind must be a pretty horrific for the general public,... well that's their problem. At that speed you don't bump into trees you RAM them :eek:
(this works best with drawing, painting or compositing for me, I have come to learn that the necessary planning when working with a 3D project usually limits the free process).
Funny,... same for me :thumbsup:

There are many jobs to be done that are just plain donkey work,.... tasks that dont require inspiration only concentration. I do that stuff when I am not feeling all that creative and that fills in the between time and seems to warm me up for the good stuff.

Once again a pleasure to read.
Thanx
Chris

eparts
04-23-2005, 04:51 PM
i came up with an image pretty quick and pretty easy once.. however I believe its hard to do that again!

the image (http://www.ep-arts.com/images/digital/furioso64.jpg)

. i was doing my homework while listening to piano and organ music.. mostly of Bach.
After a while, I took a walk with my dogs because they needed the air.. probably me too. As I was wandering in a dark park ( i believe it was raining as usual)then suddenly I just got an image in my hand. BANG. it was there. i kept that image in mind as if it was done, and when I got home i directly started creating this image.

The image didnt really have much into it.. no message, no nothing.. just a surreal feeling of music I got in my head. I didn't realize it would get so much attention later when i posted it on the internet and showed it at an exhibition. i think its harder to know if the idea 'click' for others than yourself.

I believe I got wacked because of the situation.. i was concentrating on boring homework for a while then i did something completely different.. got air, more space and stuff. i still had the music in my head i guess, and my imagination continued along with it.

RayenD
04-25-2005, 09:07 AM
I get it when I sleep or just before. I believe that aliens tell me stories when I sleep :bounce:
Sometimes it feels like I got too many ideas.

Seriously I think reading "Alice in Wonderland" at the age of 7 skewed my brain forever.

CGTalk Moderation
04-25-2005, 09:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.