PDA

View Full Version : Thos previews are killing me

Jean Genie
04-21-2005, 12:43 AM
Previews have been dull for so long now.

What I'm wondering is: Is there any way for a new director to have a say so on the preview and publicity his film gets?

I get so tired of knowing the end of a film just by the preview.
Hitchcock had some of my favorites (but he had enough reputation to do anything he wanted)

Anyone knows how it works?

igorsandman
04-23-2005, 01:45 PM
Hi
What do you mean "preview"? You mean in magazines and such, before the film is released?

If that's what your talking about, I would say it depends if it's a Hollywood film or say a European film. Here in Europe, the release of a film is less commercialized in general. So if a director has some specific recommandation, I presume he has an influence. In Hollywood, I guess it's concidered none of his buziness unless, as you mentionned, he's got a good reputation.
Just my two cent.

Regards.
-IS-

Matty2Phatty
04-23-2005, 04:02 PM
In Hollywood the trailer isn't actually edited by the studio, there are companies dedicated to that stuff (like http://www.picturemill.com) these companies handle a LOT of trailers, so it's understandable that they're all beginning to look the same.

Unfortunately the purpose of the trailer is only to get enough people in there that the studios make their money back. If they spent $100m making a film, they're gonna need a big turn-out opening weekend (before the audiences can get the word out that all the funny bits are in the ads) so they show you all the best bits to make it look good.

i'm not sure if i answered the question :D heh

Matty2Phatty
04-23-2005, 04:05 PM
I just read your question again...

About the director, after actually shooting the movie the film belongs to the studio (unless contracted otherwise) and THEY hire the company which will cut the trailer. So usually the director doesn't control the trailer.

Marc-OlivierBouchard
04-24-2005, 04:50 AM
I'm not sure how it works really and I'm curious about how Kubrick got to design the trailers for Dr Strangelove and all? I guess it has a lot to do with being household name.

Jean Genie
04-24-2005, 04:59 AM
What do you mean "preview"?

I meant trailers mostly, but I'm also interested in publicity in general. How does it work in Europe?

Matty2Phatty thanks for answering to. That's about wat I expected in Hollywood.

Does anyone know how a film's publicity works in Canada? Same thing?

And Joe Wang, I don't know how he got to design publcity for Dr. Strangelove. Actually, I think he had to do some concessions for the smaller towns of America.

CGTalk Moderation
04-24-2005, 04:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.