PDA

View Full Version : Making eyes rotate via targets, how is this done?

Modifier
04-20-2005, 10:43 PM
Hey All,

I actually posted this in the 3ds Max forum, but I did not get much of a response. I hope this is the correct forum to get an answer.

I was watching a demo training video where the eyes of a character in 3ds Max were moving together via some target being moved by the animator. Does anyone know how this is accomplished?

NOTE: Using 3ds Max 7
GOAL: To animate eyes correctly with a dummy object.
ONE MORE THING: Please be very specific. This would be my first time using constraints.

Thanks in advance.

stewartjones
04-20-2005, 10:59 PM
So, you're after a basic eye-rig set-up I'm guessing?!?!

1. create 2 point objects (one for each eye). place in front of the eyes as these will be the individual controls for them.

2. create some spline around the two point helpers. a circle or something. this will be used to control both eyes.

3. select the left eye.

4. Animation > Constraints > Look At Constraint (a dotted line will appear).

5. click on the left point helper.

6. repeat for the right eye.
- This will allow you to control both eyes seperately -

7. use the 'select and link' tool (next to redo). click and drag from the left point helper to the spline around the two points. then do the same for the other

VOILA!

hope that helped you some... if its something more complex slap me, and al see if i can help out!

olli96
04-21-2005, 09:06 AM
vyntax method works well, and is also used in the tutorials that came with max ;)
just have a look, help -> tutorials -> Tutorials for character animation professionals -> creating complex character rigs -> rigging the eyes

Olli

Modifier
04-22-2005, 04:38 AM
Thank you very much!

CGTalk Moderation
04-22-2005, 04:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.