PDA

View Full Version : UV Stretching in the Texture Editor

adam|zeliasz
04-20-2005, 05:21 PM
I have a question about UV editing. Im still trying to learn the best way to texture a character and I have a question about stretching. In order to correct what you see in the example, do I need to move the points in the texture editor until it looks visually correct? I tried the relaxing tool but it dosent seem to work that well. What would be the idea way?

Also, when creating normal maps for hi rez geometry, do you need the low rez to have texture coordinates first or will the normal map work without them?

Thanks.

http://www.dis3d.com/Clients/hl2/stretching.jpg

Strang
04-20-2005, 05:53 PM
your polygons in the texture editor need to better match the shape/size of the polygons in 3d. if you take a even square polygon in 3d. then lay it flat in the texture editor. then turn it into a rectangle. you will see distortion. so look at the 3d viewport. do your best to match the size and shape of the polys in 3d to the UVs in 2d.

my suggestion would be to select each of those 'problem' polys and give them a planar projection. this will give you their exact shape of each individual poly. then move them back into place and then heal them back. you may have to do some manual tweaking to get them to fit back in place. do your best. but you may only be able to fix so much stretching.

good luck

-Steven

danydrunk
04-20-2005, 07:56 PM
About the normal maps, yes, when you want to normal an object that object needs to have texture coordinates, first, or else it wont work, your high poly object that you will use to normal map the low poly doesnt need to have texture coordinates, only the object to which you need to apply the normal maps.

adam|zeliasz
04-20-2005, 08:30 PM
Thanks Strang, I'll give that a try.

CGTalk Moderation
04-20-2005, 08:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.