PDA

View Full Version : What do you suck at as an artist? How are you going to fix it?

Lunatique
04-20-2005, 12:11 PM
If you know you suck at something, unless you make an effort to improve, you will probably continue to suck at it. So, what are your weaknesses as an artist and what are you doing about it?

I've been fighting an uphill battle to inject more spontaneity into my works. The battle rages on. I've gone back to traditional oil painting to get away from the confines of digital, so I can be more spontaneous and enjoy the unpredictability of traditional painting.

I need to strengthen my figure drawing. My stuff is kinda stiff. I've been doing quick studies and sketches to loosen up and depict figures with more expressiveness.

I think my colors are boring, and I've been trying to be bolder with my use of color, and also going back to the basics to refresh my foundation.

I'm bad at isolating focus points. I've been experimenting more with selective detail by different levels of brushwork detail, color chroma, and value shifts.

I want to be bolder with my compositions. This is a tough one, because my subject are generally more tame compared to artists who construct wild and powerful composition. Maybe I need to shift in my subject matters also. Or, just take more risks.

Skjoldbroder
04-20-2005, 12:35 PM
I have a problem with being 'afraid' to put enough contrast into my images, leading them to often being a bit flat. After realizing this, I've started paying attention actively to it, which has improved it somewhat. Lectures and workshops with accomplished artists helped me out a bit in that area, but I find I'm still lacking.

I've been working digitally always, don't have any traditional training. Because of that, I lack a lot of understanding about composition, colour theory and perspective. In the last year I've been reading up and doing exercises to get that stuff into my head, it's working out okay (although the colours are still teasing me a bit)

Also.. I need to do a lot more life drawing. I'm not at all confident in drawing people from my imagination, I need reference or a 3d blockout to get it close to right. I've been taking lifedrawing classes this year, though, and I'm thinking about taking some time off work to do a BA in Fine Arts.

Peddy
04-20-2005, 12:40 PM
In an effort against de-stabilising the CGnetwork servers with the world's biggest and most specific list, I'll simply say that I suck at plenty of things.
My art is somewhere between vomit on cement and the Sistine Chapel :scream:

Oh, and I suck at being unambiguous. I plan on fixing that by doing several undetermined things. =]

Great topic. When I manage to pinpoint my most artistic fault (I was going to say unable to focus, but thats just a general fault), I'll plug it.

paperclip
04-20-2005, 01:28 PM
I suck at finishing things. If I get an idea, chances are slowly it'll fall apart while I'm doing it. I suck at plenty of other things, but this is one that really irritates me. See my master and servant for a prime example!
Oh, why can't we all paint like lunatique, stahlberg and enayla.....We? Um, I mean me.:D
I'm working on it though. I also want to be able to do wonderfully dramatic composition, perfect color harmony and amazing anatomical drawings all in perfect perspective.....
I can only dream....and work. I do both, so I'm on the right track. (hopefully!)

Aniviel
04-20-2005, 01:50 PM
The thing I suck at most of all and haven't really addressed yet... is backgrounds. Just thinking up one as well as actually creating it. I have trouble thinking of a scene in it's entirety, and tend to pay way too much attention to the characters/figures whatever in a painting, when I know that a background can add just as much atmosphere as the foreground or characters.

.:ZRDwD:.
04-20-2005, 02:08 PM
Three main things of suckiness:
*animals
*cutesy things
*the need of reference

I have NEVER been good at doing animals. They tend to come out looking like they have Downe's Syndrome. I've still yet to practice by using my kittie as ref.

I have extreme difficulties doing "cutesy" themes, or traditional/fantasy "beauty" (flowers, ballet-flowing figures, whimsical faeries, etc). I'm pretty much stuck in my realm of horror, which isn't a bad thing since I have a knack for it. So, I'm not really gonna fix this bad thing. But, for once, I would like to give my mom something not disturbing.

I no longer have the talent as I had when I was a teen. I didn't need reference. Heck.. most of my human figures looked just like me, even the females. Nowadays, I need models, photos, and/or Poser to get subject of my imagination reflected right in front of me. I have to fix this by sketching much much more.

mark-jenkins
04-20-2005, 02:16 PM
I also suck at ...well...everything basically.Paperclip - My main problem is not being able to finish anything. I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one who has this problem. I wonder how many other people have this problem. If it is any concolation to you, you managed to get alot further with your Master & Servant entry than I did. I didn't even post my concept sketches, then I became disheartened and gave up when I saw the standard of entries and kept hitting a brick wall with my sketches. Something else that I am trying to improve at the moment is my figure drawing from imagination. I really struggle if I do not have any reference so I have been reading some books by Burne Hogart which are very helpful, but as you know improvement takes time and practice, which is a very rare commodity when you are holding down a day job and have a 16 month old baby!! Oh well, we must keep plugging away I suppose!

Lomax
04-20-2005, 02:51 PM
Name something that's not character related, I probably suck at it. Backgrounds, costumes, props... Basically anything that requires some technical design skills. I've been struggling with these things for a few years now, but it may already be too late. Doesn't mean I'll stop trying, just that it may never come to me naturally. :p

oCapulet
04-20-2005, 03:09 PM
I don't have a colour sense. I can't judge tonal relationships for myself -- I have to see someone else's work to guide me, and that can be discouraging as they usually make it seem effortless (and I'm talking about *you*, all you geniuses on board here @_@). So I'm going to focus more on experimenting with colour, contrasting, pinpointing what works, doesn't and why, whilst not worrying too much about completion or striving for a masterpiece.

I need to think more about perspective. And my characters have to pose less -- and I don't mean the superhero shots, but the deliberately awkward hand gestures and contortions. Even eccentrics should be caught off guard sometimes.

And there's more, but writing down just those points makes me impatient that I'm not working. It's interesting reading through the replies though, it seems putting yourself down is more natural than I thought. I guess we're the type of people who need that to improve, 'cos we've seen so much to aspire to -- and are just so damn lazy. ^_^

InterFacer
04-20-2005, 03:34 PM
As I for the most part am a 'traditional media' artist using charcoal alot, heres where I see myself with art.

I need to use more color in my work. I've used charcoal and conte, but I have never had a successful painting attempt. I need to learn how to paint traditionally, using strong colors and compositional tactics.

In my figure drawings, which have received my most recent attemtps at improvement, I need to loosen up, particularly in my gestures. I need to build them from the inside out, giving them volume, weight and motion. I need to be more confident in placing one continuous contour line at a time instead of 'sketching' them in.

I'm currently enrollled in a figure drawing class where i have a live model for

.:ZRDwD:.
04-20-2005, 03:55 PM
For those mentioning the color issues... is this really a bad thing? I mean, I prefer doing desaturated images rather than colorful things. Perhaps I have no sense of color (also, I enjoy giving my images a dreamlike approach). When I do add color, i prefer it to have the entire piece be of one hue, or one/two distinct colors emphasizing on particular parts of a b/w image (eyes, lips, hair highlights, blood, etc).

What if... what we believe is bad in minds is actually what sets us apart from everyone else? What if that is our "calling card"? If InterFacer can't make a proportioned figure, what makes it bad? Hell... look at Picasso. Is that realistic? What if we put so much emphasis on what are work should look like based on how we were taught, critiqued, or what we admire (which is usually of a realistic realm of proportion and lighting)?

erpel
04-20-2005, 04:07 PM
perspective!!

I can never do onteresting exciting angles everything is allways kind of flat because of my problems with perspective. Also, I am good at drawing FROM life but try to paint a character without a model from my head and it s usually a disaster or if its not its a flat angle.
sometimes this also becomes a problem when I m doing 3d, my camera angles are kind of flat too...
I m also struggeling to really FINISH something

offbeatworlds
04-20-2005, 04:20 PM
Boy oh boy, I suck at a ton of things. Main ones are faces, skintones, and sketching.

My faces always look the same; same features, same expressions, same mistakes. I need to practice painting different faces with different expressions. I need to look at faces when I paint sometimes, and then paint a few without.

My skintones always come out looking really chalky and unreaslistic. I need to bring a life-like luster too them, let the glow. I have to do this by practicing too.

And sketching. Hmm...I just can't seem to figure out a good technique to sketching, and I feel that knowing how to sketch is a priority in learning how to properly paint on the computer. I know I should figure this out for myself, but I feel so lost sometimes. I guess I just need to experiment a bit more with sketching.

I have other things I suck at too, but those are the main ones.

Art2
04-20-2005, 04:45 PM
I suck at everything! :eek:

My lighting suck... major suck...
My colors suck...
My compositions suck...
My backgrounds suck...
And pretty much everything else ... :sad:

Probably 10 years from now I'll still think I suck...

I like to watch other peoples work and learn (not imitate).
I should observe thing around me (real life) more and think about these things more.

... :sad:

SoniaNotRed
04-20-2005, 05:30 PM
I suck at a whole lot of things, but what I can't never really get right is machinery and heavy geometry oriented stuff. Is not just drawing things, is making them up too. Cars, bikes, planes, buildings... I do create some crazy architecture but it's mostly houses, temples, palaces - all very isolated and in a very traditional scale. I suck at urban landscapes.

What I'm doing about it? Nothing. :D I don't like doing that stuff and don't usually need to do it. The buildings I create are meant do become 3D models, so I really don't need to worry much about it. I just sketch the views, calculate the measures and feed it to Max!

a_w
04-20-2005, 05:48 PM
Add one more to the "not being able to finish things" pile. I've had to confront this issue in a serious way recently as it's now affecting my client work. Here are three ways I've been working toward recovery:

1. Apologize to those in your past whom you've affected by not finishing their work or pushing their project past deadline.

For me at least, I felt better knowing that those people knew I really cared about their project but just have an inability to finish things sometimes -- let's be honest, many times. Plus, those people will sometimes give you pointers on how to more effectively work with clients when you need extra time.

One pointer that I sometimes neglect is to do frequent check-ins so my client can gauge progress and make suggestions. Most of the time I don't check-in out of fear that the client won't feel I'm far enough along -- which has never been the case; I just worry too much. Not all client suggestions have to be followed but at least some will keep you from hitting a problem area in your work which you, as a perfectionist, will try everything possible to overcome. It's the obsession to overcome all problems, many of which the client won't see, that will quickly make you run over deadline.

2. Schedule your day/week.

Don't rely on your memory when it comes to organizing tasks for the day/week. Write down every task and appointment you need to perform and prioritize them -- even the small things that seem insignificant at the time. Those insignificant things are the ones most likely to be forgotten until the last minute, at which point you'll have to stop a more important tasks such as client work.

My tips for scheduling:

- first, schedule repetitive tasks such as sleeping, eating, laundry, grocery shopping and job/classes. If you're hardcore, make this schedule two to four weeks in advance of when you'll use it.

- next, schedule non-repetitive tasks and prioritize them. Certain things you'll be able to schedule far in advanced but always add to the current day's schedule as same-day tasks arise.

- when bidding on a client project, always propose a timeframe that allows for human/computer errors. For a project which I feel can be finished in three hours, I'll tell the client four hours. A quality client will value reliability more than speed and you'll eliminate the need to regularly schedule doctor's visits for high stress levels.

- schedule a time when you can practice your craft. This is time you've earned so be generous. To keep you focused during this practice time, write a loose schedule for what you'd like to accomplish. You can really make your practice time meaningful by engaging in your weaker artistic areas.

3. Create personal projects.

I don't think I'm alone in this one but I'm having to come to grips with the fact that although the creation of my client work feels like art to me (I do illustrations and animations), it's considered a project asset to my clients. So as much as you want the work to look perfect in your own eyes, remember that it's the client's eyes that sign off on a project and they may have an altogether different view of things.

By working on your personal project, you can regain the control you lose when working for a client. It's no mystery that we all want to feel in control of something, it's just a matter of when you choose to exercise that want. If you're having difficulty developing your own projects then, when all is finished on a client's project, revisit the client's work and complete it to your liking. When the pressure of a deadline is off, you have more opportunity to explore and learn.

While I'm still in the confessional, I also have poor color sense when going past two colors and my painting skills are rustier than all getout. During my alloted practice time I hit the painting books in search of traditional techniques and do digital color paintings using ArtRage or Painter Classic.

Ilikesoup
04-20-2005, 05:56 PM
I've been drawing since I was a kid, but never once in all that time did I think to add a background. For that reason, my perspective and composition skills are very undeveloped. Color, too, since I did most sketches in pencil or in ink.

Participating in the Daily Sketch here at CGTalk has been great practice (Much thanks to Roberto Ortiz :thumbsup: ). I've started reading tutorials and I try to incorporate new methods into my work, but old habits die hard. Also, I find that trying adopt a new method kills the spirit of the picture -- I get to focused on following the rules and the picture loses all spontanaiety. I'm finally getting a decent composition together in my Master & Servant entry, but I keep waffling between portrait and landscape formats, creating characters and then killing them off.

paperclip
04-20-2005, 06:12 PM
Sounds like most of us have problems with environments. I know that once I start on an environment, I need to work it into the ground, then it loses spontaneity and fun... otherwise it'll not be textured enough.
Oh, for talent....

Nehym
04-20-2005, 11:29 PM
What i suck at? Hrmphf.. The list could go on and on but here are the major things i suck at:

-1: Not able to finish the projects i start and/or focus on one project at a time
-2: Environments and backgrounds
-3: Lighting
-4: Spontaneity

1: It is very simple... I just can't focus on only one thing at a time, only one project at a time. Always being inspired and having new concepts in my head and wanting to put them down on paper (or on the screen, if digital). Also, having trouble to only paint when i start painting and not having 29847256 other things waiting to be done beside or doing at the same time (surfing forums, talking on msn or icq for examples). This probably results in the fact that in my whole life i've always been doing a lot of things at the same time so focusing becomes hard and it greatly slows me down. Though a_w' suggestions are good, particulary the schedule one, i think i'm gonna try it. :)

2: Same thing as paperclip.. Been drawing for a long time but never really thought of adding backgrounds, or only little elements like one tree here or a green spot under the character to ''try'' to make it look like grass. :D I'm getting somewhat better at it now, and i tend to try to think about every part of the picture i plan to paint before i do anything else. To improve, i've also started a serie which consist of 4 themed setting (mostly organic, forests, plants and such) with different time of the day to improve my lighting at the same time. I try to re-use about the same theme with different species of trees, plants with daylgiht or night light, for examples.

3: Well it goes a little in #2, mostly for what i am doing to improve.. But the problem really is that for long i had a difficulty to pick a lighting color, it was always mostly white or light yellow with no ambient lighting etc...

4: I just think too much about everything and do not let myself add this or that during the process... I really need to loosen up..

Hope i'm making some sens here. ;)

shivmoo
04-20-2005, 11:51 PM
i have got to learn how to texture things.. and also actually stick to texturing something after i have finished moddeling the character.
get better at my composition..
actually do hmwk so my mum doesnt remove my computer....
push myself harder to finish stuff generally as i am really really bad at self motivation... unless its a game.. which is no good...

thanks for this.. it helped put what i need to do into perspective:)

Per-Anders
04-20-2005, 11:58 PM
what do i suck at as an artist? just about everything. what am i going to do about it? work work work (and continue to improve my critical process, as without that i wouldn't even see that i sucked, nor be able to see how to improve each area).

erilaz
04-21-2005, 12:22 AM
Fear making me impatient is my biggest suckiness. If I'm unsure how the next stroke or next set of edges is going to affect my work, I tend to procrastinate or pull back from my experimentation. I've got to learn to keep going with a work, because I always forget that in CG mistakes can quite often be easily corrected!

pushav
04-21-2005, 12:50 AM
I suck at painting. I am more of a sketch artist but I can do greyscale painting.

All I have to do now is to put in some work on my painting skills.

rebuilder
04-21-2005, 06:41 AM
Biggest issue? Having something to say and knowing how to say it. How to fix it? I guess I just have to try to educate myself on a broad range of subjects to be able to analyze the world around me better.

There's technical stuff too, but that's what practice is for. Content is king.

StealthPharaoh
04-21-2005, 07:40 AM
hmm..lots of things to list but what i suck at the most is probably anatomy..withought ref. pictures i can't draw characters in a dynamic pose or do much from my imagination

perspective..i know the basics,i just need to apply it more in my work but i still suck at doing anything complex

composition..my compostion isn't bad but still lots of room for improvment

coloring..i think it's my strongest point but painting skin tones,textures and getting the right colors is huge challenge..i love coloring the most but there's so much possibilities with colors that sometimes i feel i just don't know anything about color..hmm does that make sense at all

hmm what else..oh industrial desings, cars, weapons, robots or anything like that..now that's major suckness..lol but i'm not really into it so i don't feel that bad about it

also sometimes i get caught up in the detail and forget about the whole piece then the picture end up looking flat with no depth

but i think my biggest problem is that i need to spend more time on art..may be one day i'll pack up and go live on an isolated island so i can focus on my art..lol

there's a lot of things i know i can do to improve myself like reading books, drawing more from life and stuff..but it usually fails because not enough motivation

even though i know i suck at a lot of things i just have some confidence in my self that i can be as good as any other famous artist out there if i put more time and effort..so i'm just keeping my hopes and trying to free myself more so i can focus on art

maX_Andrews
04-21-2005, 07:47 AM
NATFT for me as well! Lately I've found that an idea you don't fully understand has a better chance of being completed than something you can completely visualize. The fun is in discovering what the hell is going on in your mind through your art. A lot of work can be created on the way to an answer.

RayenD
04-22-2005, 12:19 PM
Sketching and painting - majorly. I got lazy doing cg/animation and I didn' really have to sketch anything beyond simple stick figures poses.
What I do to improve? Sketching as much as possible, 8-10 hours weekly. It's a lot of fun and I am doing it purely for fun. I am too shy to join DSG now :wise:
I am wannabe digital painter and plan ahead to do it full time when I retire in like 25 years from now. Maybe by this time I'll evetually become semi-decent at painting.

W-I-L
04-22-2005, 12:40 PM
i suck at backgounds.. mainl cos i always do character work...And sticking with something all the way to the final... figures are imporving and i try to be spontanous with all my stuff sdo i would not say i sucked at those... mainly i ju8st get frustrated with myself never finishing anything! Which is strange why i am doing two concpets for master and servant!

Limiter
04-22-2005, 03:31 PM
Im bad at alot of things. but this is the worst.

Inspiration thats hard to come by. It leaves me stranded. I watched or listened to a great movie/songs that I like or anything, yet it didnt tick me going to the paper, I hate it with that happens.

jmBoekestein
04-22-2005, 04:27 PM
I suck at finishing things. If I get an idea, chances are slowly it'll fall apart while I'm doing it. I suck at plenty of other things, but this is one that really irritates me. See my master and servant for a prime example!
Oh, why can't we all paint like lunatique, stahlberg and enayla.....

I thought I had dibs on that one. Even if I do have the time and inspiration something else pops up and ruins the whole thing.

Other than that, I suck at just about anything. The worst thing is I don't really have a clue for what composition in 2d art is. Lots of B-shitting(pardon my french) about focuspoints and balance and diagonals, but when I see the result it just strikes me as odd to name things in that way, let alone categorising. I just don't see the friggin' points for instance, I see a dynamic charge and that's all.
Colour is another weak point of mine, I simply skipped it and only just recently have started to see the power of it. The main reason was always that my surroundings are something that can be mimmicked, they are too intensely colourful. Just imagine a butterfly backlit and you'll get my point I guess.

DivineRAiN
04-22-2005, 04:45 PM
ah, well I suck at a lot of things because of being inexperienced and some bad habits. Dealing with colors, using painter (when I don't have any experience with painting n dealing with colors), perspective, proportions, expressions, lighting, backgrounds, finishing. Drawing when I'm in the mood.. if I can. And drawing with the paper turned in the writing position n flat on the table. But then the mood to draw usually strikes when I'm writing. I think that habit started in school.

Desert-of-Seth
04-22-2005, 05:03 PM
I also think i have weaknesses:
1.I try the toughest poses,though my anatomy knowledge is not enough.
2.I cannot be objective when critisizing my own work...
3.I cannot choose the right figures and colours...therefore,i always get stuck at the background after drawing the foreground...

I'm not sure if it will work out well,but now i decided to "copy" some photos on magazines;i think that will add to my anatomy,at least ^^;

cha0t1c1
04-22-2005, 05:22 PM
I don't suck at anything, I'm amazing I....I...I....oh who am I kidding....lol...no seriously...I'm afraid of painting, mostly because I've not had any traditional training...
what I'm doing about it? about what I already said I'm perfect('nough with the voices)...lol..I'm taking fundementals of art in the summer, to understand tones, colours and composition...btw this is an awesome thread :thumbs up:

Maidith
04-22-2005, 09:53 PM
I know I don't paint bad, but the same time I know I still suck at everything. And I'll improve my style by studying everything further.

ArtisticVisions
04-24-2005, 04:53 AM
Well, my biggest weaknesses (for me, "suck" implies that you're unable to improve) are:

1. Digital painting - something I'm seriously working on at the moment to improve.

2. Drawing without reference - an issue which has plagued me for many years; when I draw, I need some form of reference for it.

3. Sketching thumbnails/concepts with a pencil - sounds odd, but I can only draw/design good concept sketches with a pen; I think maybe it has to do with the "subconcious" idea that you can't erase ink, which leads my lines to be more natural. :shrug:

4. Sketching with a Wacom tablet

But the number one weakness of mine... because I have a perfectionistic nature, I never view my own work as any good :sad: ; most of the time I'll finish a piece, then I think it's crap and not worth being viewed by anyone.

Ilikesoup
04-24-2005, 06:33 AM
For everybody who's saying they can't draw without reference, I think that's natural. Few people have photographic memories. For the rest of us, if we want to draw something accurately we need a reference. Of course, it's a good idea not to copy a reference picture exactly -- copy details but vary the composition, point of view or some other element to make it your own.

paperclip
04-24-2005, 08:46 AM
This thread is a new way to celebrate mediocrity! Anyone know where that's from? ;)

greynite1
04-24-2005, 10:28 AM
i'm a brand new student to learning the fine arts I just started with Beginning drawing and color theory.

but i have learned a bit about myself as an artist through these classes which is what I assume your supposed to do.

I'm meticulous I get very into details so by the time I'm done the drawing looks spot on as it should *doing master copies right now and still lifes* I have a tendency to take my time and be very persistent in getting things "Right"

I am bad with proportions at this point it takes me more time then anything starting a new drawing is getting proportions just right sometimes i think I have it right and its still off only when I'm drawing my 5th object in the still life do I discover I have run out of room for my planned composition. its quite irritating. I assume this just comes with time and practice.

I am at a point where i'm too much of a newb to really know what I suck at but I try to put the maximum amount of effort in whatever I'm doing at the moment so if I get stuck on cloth I do it till I get right. If its a face I draw, erase and redraw until it looks right. I have had some great fun with pastels and have done a great rendering of my cat and the reproduction of a photograph in white pastel on black paper. I intend to take some pictures and have them up on some webspace soon.

I'm most interested in human characters and women. Clothes and costumes are a big thing for me. I got plans see. half of this is a means to an end.

forgive me I hope no one would take offense but as a noob I find it reassuring that even accomplished artists like many here still struggle with certain things. it gives me hope. in the mean time I will rock on. I got 4 self portraits and one Giant autobiographical self portrait due at the end of the semester. Wish me luck y'all.

Just an aside I would recommend everybody take some traditional art classes, Life drawing, Beginning Drawing, Color theory, beginning painting. You would not believe how much you can improve in the right environment its quite odd to notice your own progress for the first time.

Art2
04-24-2005, 03:49 PM
This thread is a new way to celebrate mediocrity! Anyone know where that's from? ;)

Seeing Enayla producing amazing sketches under 40 min?... ;)

No seriously tho, I think even Linda has her moments of feeling mediocre. It's part of what we are. Artist with this desire to become better and better. It's good to look in the mirror once in a while (after every finished piece) and discover your weaknesses. And also expressing it to your peers is good too.

Hooray for mediocrity!

Chris Bacon
04-24-2005, 04:47 PM
For me Im sory to say...Im not a strong drawer...BUT Ive got my self into life drawing classes over the summer......

Nehym
04-24-2005, 11:18 PM
I totally agree with you Art2. :) Everything has it's ups and downs and we need to know our weaknesses to improve, or we'll just stay forever at the same point and/or probably improve very, very slowly.

Also, i think that it is very commun that everyone thinks that his/her works looks like crap after a while and would just feel like reworking it again and again to make it better. And everyone have some phases that they do not produce a lot of work, if any but uses this time to learn new things about just about any aspect they feel needs improvement. Well anyway i guess so (it is the case for me at least), correct me if i am wrong.

(Okay i am rambling, i think some of this already been said in the thread but.. oh well.. :s )

Gord-MacDonald
04-25-2005, 02:49 AM
At the moment I suck at most things - in particular - life drawing. I made a career change 15 years ago and became a software developer (I could live the life of a starving artist - but after my first child, I felt it was unfair to expect my family to do so).

This last year I began drawing again. I thought it would be like getting back on a bicycle (once you've learnt it you never forget) - no such luck! I would say that drawing after a 15 year absence, is more analogous to relearning skills and knowledge, after having had a stroke.

The muscle memory, the mental imprint of how to draw a figure - the cumulated knowledge of 15 years of intense life drawing workshops - all gone, faded away into oblivion! Things which were once done with ease are now done with awkwardness and enormous effort - like slugging through mud.

The solution is to suck it up, and start over. I have found the DSG to be very useful in this respect, but what I really need, is to get back in front of a live model - there is no substitute. I think drawing is something that you always have to keep sharp. I would say never walk away from it - even for a short period of time, if you want improve or even maintain your skills.

Looking at drawings of those who are totally on top of their game is breathtaking. It is like watching a world class prize fighter in the ring. The are nimble, quick, mobile and devastatingly accurate. They can discern in a split second when their pencil should deliver a jab, uppercut, or right-cross to the drawing surface and then deliver the goods.

Man what I would do, to be able to get into that ring!

Gord

Art2
04-25-2005, 09:10 AM
Looking at drawings of those who are totally on top of their game is breathtaking. It is like watching a world class prize fighter in the ring. The are nimble, quick, mobile and devastatingly accurate. They can discern in a split second when their pencil should deliver a jab, uppercut, or right-cross to the drawing surface and then deliver the goods.

Man what I would do, to be able to get into that ring!

Hey Gord, I'm still practising that VanDamme-style split. Hurts like hell, but I'm getting there, just... a... few... inches... more... :)
Maybe I should learn doing a proper the highkick first...
I really enjoy seeing all the different fighting styles in the DSG too, cool place. Goro's monkey style just cracks me up :D

...I know I'm babbling...

Tsukiyono
05-12-2005, 06:54 PM
Well right now i am trying to get ahold of any knowledge i can. I still am not able to figure out what exactly i like more then the other.

I look at some of the work on this site, and i am in awe at them, i would really like to do stuff like those as well. So in order to rememdy this, i am currently trying to learn some photoshop, but just getting the base knowledge to know where to begin has been a tough battle, but it is coming slowly... very slowly.

In 3d, i once again have had some basic schooling with 3ds max, but the classes i did have have left me wanting more, i feel i dont have the base knowldge to continue and do the stuff i vision of in my head, so i am now trying to relearn everything, the right way this time.

While in the classes, i got a sort of an ego boost by teachers and such around me, which was fine at the time, but now, i hear their comments, and i cant help but want to tell them they dont know a thing. My teacher has said that my work is very good, that i should be able to get a job pretty much just by walking to a place.... but when it comes down to it, i am very bad, and have trouble just to get a model of a door or someother simple shape. I have yet to create a full scene for anything yet because of the gaps in my knowledge.

So as stated, my remedy to this is to relearn what i did learn, and build off of it. I need to remember the fact that this wont happen over night, that i wont be great with either of the programs i choose to work with overnight, this will be a long journey in which it could take many years before i become anything other then a novice.

EDIT: one thing i am also planning on doing is to get some more schooling in the traditional sides of art as well. And see if that wont help me out as well, i figure it would get me a good foundation to at least begin to speed up the rate i learn this stuff, and would probably make it a bit easier as well.

CGTalk Moderation
05-12-2005, 06:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.