PDA

View Full Version : masks

stungbyab
04-20-2005, 03:31 AM
hi. i'm a novice at after effects and have been having a problem with the software. it's probably completely due to my own doing, but here goes ...

i've been using the software to get rid of dirt and flickers on my film. i've laid the quicktime movie on one layer, and created clips of one frame length of the same quicktime movie (above the main quicktime layer) at spots where the dirt or flicker occur. i then draw a mask (added not subtract) on the one frame long quicktime over the affected area, and toggle the one frame to one that is free of the dust or flicker. i've gone through the whole film using this method to clean it. i've even gone through frame by frame to check and make sure all the dirt and flicker have been cleared.

unfortunately, when i export the film out as another quicktime (both with the export function and the queue to render function) the new quicktime shows all the dirt and flicker i'd tried to get rid of. i've made sure that all the required layers are switched on for the creation of the new quicktime, but still the corrections are not showing up.

tried the mask subtraction function, but ended up with the mask running the length of the film, rather than just the frame affected.

don't know what to do next. if anyone has any pointers, i would be most grateful :)

dwkim
04-21-2005, 12:58 AM
Sounds like you're rendering the wrong comp.

stungbyab
04-21-2005, 03:40 AM
thank you so much for your reply to my query.

well, i checked to make sure it's the right comp, and it appears to be. is there somewhere in the session where i can double check on this?

if it's not the wrong comp, what else can it be you think? does anything i've done so far seem wrong to you?

Voitek
04-22-2005, 07:30 AM
Hello,

what do you mean by "toggle the one frame to one that is free of the dust or flicker". Can you provide a screenshot of your timeline?

You can try to render your movie as a .tga images sequence, replace the original mov footage with it and see if the problem still occurs.

cheers
voitek

stungbyab
04-23-2005, 08:14 AM
hi. thanks so much for your advice. i tried the tga suggestion, but the results were still the same. i would like to show you the session, but don't know how to save to a web readable format. what should i be doing to make this happen?

AAAron
04-23-2005, 01:35 PM
hi. thanks so much for your advice. i tried the tga suggestion, but the results were still the same. i would like to show you the session, but don't know how to save to a web readable format. what should i be doing to make this happen?

Ok, this should not be a big ting. Try to precomp all the layers in the comp. I make this super detailed, so you migth allready know some of this stuff :)

1.Select the original layer and all of your 1 frame layers.

2.click ctrl+shift+c (apple+shift+c on mac) select the second option (move all attributes along...)

3. now you should only se a layer called "precomp something"

4. Make a preview (the 0 button on your numeric keypad)

After this do you se the flicker or not?

Voitek
04-23-2005, 03:07 PM
You can make a screenshot by pressing PrtScn (Print Screen) key on the keyboard and then pasting it in an image editing software (eg. Photoshop).

cheers
voitek

CGTalk Moderation
04-23-2005, 03:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.