PDA

View Full Version : dual screen help

living_the_dream
04-20-2005, 01:51 AM
I just got a new LCD screen to work along with my old CRT, however I'm currently running them on a PCI and an AGP card. The PCI card is quite lacking, so there's the AGP: a saphire Radeon 9800Pro 128Mb and I'd like to run both off that, but it only has one VGA port on it. It does have SVideo and DVI. Can I just get a connector for the DVI so I can plug in my VGA LCD monitor and run two different desktop screens? Or should I just invest in a new card that does dual screen better? If so, what card would that be? I have AGP and not AGP pro, which most if not all the dual screen cards I find run on. Can anyone suggest a good card that I can get for regular AGP that does dual VGA (I'm looking for something at or below $250 USD and runs as good or better than mine).

Thanks!

novadude
04-20-2005, 02:12 AM
DVI is the better quality format, so getting a DVI to VGA adapter won't hurt the quality any more than running it from the VGA port on your 9800. If I were you, I would see about getting a DVI LCD screen rather than sticking with the VGA input model.

living_the_dream
04-20-2005, 02:39 AM
well the LCD monitor I just got is VGA, and as I got it as a present, and am also quite pleased with it, there's no real reason to return it. I'm considering getting an All in Wonder card...specifically the Radeon 9600 (It has dual VGA support). It just seems like a waste to me to buy a new card if I can do basically the same thing with a connector and my Radeon 9800pro card. Do you know if I can get a connector like this one (http://www.superwarehouse.com/Belkin_Pro_Series_Digital_Video_Interface_Adapter_%28DVI-I_M_HDDB15F-DVI-I_TO_VGA%29/F2E4162/p/43195) and get things to work on my current card? Cause I don't know if the Radeon Pro 9800 is even designed to run multiple monitors, is it?

techfreak
04-20-2005, 02:53 AM
A DVI to VGA adapter will work on any dvi plug on any video card. Although you can go from dvi to vga you cannot go from vga to dvi. Going from dvi to vga is just downgrading your resolution to display.

-Vormav-
04-20-2005, 03:42 AM
Didn't your Radeon 9800 come with the converter? I thought all of the later Radeon models with DVI ports had the connector (my R9800 did...).

living_the_dream
04-20-2005, 04:16 AM
Vormav, thanks for the advice. I feel kinda stupid that I didn't check the package of stuff that it came with already, but I just found that connector and everything works beautifully now, so thanks for the help. I'll have to remember to check the easy solutions first next time, hahaha.

Signal2Noise
04-20-2005, 04:37 AM
FWIW, I run dual NEC LCDs thru DVI (XFX 6600GT) and personally I can't see any difference from when they were running in analog mode.

CGTalk Moderation
04-20-2005, 04:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.