PDA

View Full Version : What is this called?

badbreff
04-20-2005, 12:26 AM
What is it called when you want to work with only a preset amount of and specific kinds of colors? I should know this one, but forgot it. Otherwise I would have done a search for the question I need answered.

I want to texture models with only certain colors, like a gif image for example. This way everything in the scenes I create have the feel through color I want.

Thanks folks :thumbsup:

-NG-
04-20-2005, 12:36 AM
What is it called when you want to work with only a preset amount of and specific kinds of colors? I should know this one, but forgot it. Otherwise I would have done a search for the question I need answered.

I want to texture models with only certain colors, like a gif image for example. This way everything in the scenes I create have the feel through color I want.

Thanks folks :thumbsup:

Defining your color palet, or defining the color keys of the scene.:) Is that what you meant.

badbreff
04-20-2005, 03:21 AM
Defining your color palet, or defining the color keys of the scene.:) Is that what you meant.

PALLET! Gawlee! I dunno how I forgot that thanks. :thumbsup:

badbreff
04-20-2005, 03:28 AM
OK well I just tried looking it up, but found no answers. How would I do what I am wanting.

Just for the sake of you having to go back and re-read what I am wanting, I basically want to give myself a color pallet to work with for building textures. I'm not really sure what specific colors I want right now, but I have a general idea. Blues, greys, browns, reds, but all in a specific tone that would bring about a bit of depression or basically the stereotypical post apocalyptic world scenario.

I guess a kind of shortened tutorial, or whatever you think I would need to read to understand it more. This is all for my better knowledge so whatever is nessesary.

TIA everyone :)

madart
04-20-2005, 07:15 AM
I think what you want to look for is colour theory and colour psychology.

I've got a couple of old links here:

http://www.colormatters.com/entercolormatters.html

Look up "color theory" at www.gamasutra.com (http://www.gamasutra.com/) these are old articles, but color theory doesn't change.

I just reread your first post, the correct spelling is palette. So if you look for "palette", you might find what you are looking for.

halo
04-20-2005, 01:11 PM
in photoshop its called indexed colour mode...but it only works up to 256 colours IIRC.

madart
04-20-2005, 02:30 PM
Indexed colour mode.... that was a long time ago...... haven't used that in ages, glad to say! :)

badbreff
04-20-2005, 04:13 PM
I feel I understand color theory pretty well, it was the kind of index color thing that I am wanting.

I just don't know how to find the specific colors I would want. Would I need to create textures first, see if they look good, then switch to index color mode then just reuse those colors only? I felt like trying out with only 256 colors at first... I've heard of others doing that recently on these boards, where they'll specify that they only worked with 256 colors to make the painting or build the textures for an entire scene for example. Just curious how they went about it.

madart
04-20-2005, 04:59 PM
I see what you mean, I think. I don't personally work like that, making textures so it will be interesting to see what others have to say about it.

These other texturerers, they didn't save their textures as max 256 colours did they? If I understand you correctly, you mean that this is a way of working with fewer colours? But you still save the image as 16-bit or 24?

What I would do, if I understand you correctly, would be to first decide on a colour scheme, which you seem to have done. Then make make gradients or just paint in the colour ranges from light to dark, of the colurs that you want and then index the image. Screen grab the colour indexed palette and use those colours.

When I'm painting or making textures I always use just a few colours, like two to three, and then make them darker or lighter. I use the pipette quite a lot, once I've got a few colours in my image/texture.

badbreff
04-20-2005, 05:00 PM
I see what you mean, I think. I don't personally work like that, making textures so it will be interesting to see what others have to say about it.

These other texturerers, they didn't save their textures as max 256 colours did they? If I understand you correctly, you mean that this is a way of working with fewer colours? But you still save the image as 16-bit or 24?

I have no idea I'm afriad, and I can't seem to find any of the posts I recall seeing this done with.

berniebernie
04-20-2005, 05:30 PM
I think what you want to do is actually use swatches...

ie you'll work in 8bit or 16bit or whatever you want but using an initial 256 colors... What you can do (and i don't have photoshop on this machine so I have no clue how the practical thing works) is actually choose and image and reduce it to 256 tones, and use it as your color book...

These links might help, hope I'm not confusing you too much:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photoshop/l/bllps503d.htm (old PS)
http://www.pixelpim.com/tutorials/magic/

CGTalk Moderation
04-20-2005, 05:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.