PDA

View Full Version : EPS to Tiff with spot colors

bbKixx
04-19-2005, 09:46 PM
Hey guys,

I have an Illustrator eps file that I would like to send to a screen printer for a logo t shirt. Now the logo has an embedded photoshop file in it, and the t shirt printer says they cant take spot color from that.

Is it possible to convert the eps file in photoshop to a tiff file with spot color? I dont even know if this makes sense.

Any insight would be great.

Thanks,
bbkixx

halo
04-19-2005, 10:33 PM
im not sure what your asking...

you have an AI eps file, with a PS file in it...but the screen printer cant use that...yes?

does the t shirt printer just want spot colours only?

does the embedded PS file have any spot files in it?

why do you think coverting the whole lot to Tiff would help?

bbKixx
04-20-2005, 12:01 AM
The t-shirt screener only wants spot colors.

I dont know if the embedded ps file has spot files in it...How could i check?

A co-worker of mine suggested that I use Tiff files if im trying to do spot colors. Not sure why.

Thanks for the response.

bbkixx

halo
04-20-2005, 12:10 PM
I dont know if the embedded ps file has spot files in it...How could i check?

open it up and look at the channels :)

converting a to a different file format wont change the image to spot colours, and in some cases its likely it could lose any spot channel information.

if it needs to be spot colour all the way through the file you need to recreate which ever bit isn't spot colour with spot colours...not always the easiest thing to do.

Posting a pic may help :)

TheNeverman
04-21-2005, 05:51 PM
First - understand that using spot colors in Photoshop can be somewhat of a pain... 'True' spot color jobs in photoshop must be set up with paths and saved as a DCS EPS.

Second - how many colors are you using?

If your using 4 or less colors - the easiest route would be to convert your colors (in photoshop) to pure Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, or Black (for example, if you have blue as one of your colors - strip out the MYK so it's only composed of Cyan.) Then, simply label your template or somewhere mark what color coresponds to what actual silk screen ink...

If you could post the image, I can tell yah if this is a viable option...

n8

halo
04-21-2005, 09:21 PM
First - understand that using spot colors in Photoshop can be somewhat of a pain... 'True' spot color jobs in photoshop must be set up with paths and saved as a DCS EPS.

without wanting to cloud the issue, i dont think thats strictly true about the paths aspect, you can just use spot channels...paths aren't always neccessary.

a pic would certainly help people advise on the best route.

bbKixx
04-21-2005, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

I ended up just redueing the logo in illustrator. The printer said they would be able to use it.

I have to admit that I'm not the best at understanding all this spot color talk, but i do appreciate the help. I havent posted a pic because this is for a freelance job and im not sure if im allowed too.

Im new at this stuff so this was most certainly a crash course.

Thanks for the support
bbkixx

CGTalk Moderation
04-21-2005, 11:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.