PDA

View Full Version : super high-res images (4,5m x 10m)

Skjoldbroder
04-19-2005, 03:59 PM
has anyone got experience handling really highres files, like 55000x24000 pixels ?
I've got a request from my boss to do some tradeshow artwork that's ... huge, to say the least. 10 meters high, 4 meters wide, and I'm curious as to wether this is actually possible or not (I have 1 gb of ram).

Any clever tricks? Any vector usage that'll cut down filesizes ?

all the best
/plaf

mattepainter
04-19-2005, 06:30 PM
Hi,

I know the new photoshop CS2 has a large image format support that will allow you to work has big has 73K. If you are stock with your current version of photoshop, you could maybe split you're image in multiple canvas.(not the best, I know) One thing that will help, just remember that every channel is 8bit, so you might wanna stick with the RGB mode since it has one channel less than CMYK and convert your flatened at the end if needed. Another option would be to downscale your PSD document so you can work at a resonnable speed and once you're done you could upscale a copy of your flatened document using a software called "Genuine Fractals" that has a really good algorythm for scale transforms.
http://www.altamira-group.com/

Hope this will give you options,

Jonathan Berube
Digital Matte Painter
Blizzard Entertainment
www.johnberube.com (http://www.johnberube.com)

halo
04-19-2005, 06:56 PM
why does it need to be 55000 pixels? a lot of large format processes dont use screens high enough to need 300dpi

if its going that large then you may be able to get away with a lot less than 300 dpi, your not going to get close enough to see a loss...text and line art should be kept as vector and assembled in a page layout app as a matter of course anyway.

your going to need as much ram as your OS can handle + plenty of fast disk space unless you want to make it a real chore.

Skjoldbroder
04-19-2005, 07:08 PM
you're right. they were just requesting it at 150 dpi, (and I've never done anything this big before) but after your comments and that of a few others, i'm thinking it's more likely to be something like 40-72 (tops). In the beginning they were imagining, in their mad little heads, that it should be 300 dpis. alas, that clocked out at a base image size of 15 gigabytes.

Anyways. thanks! :)

/plaf

CGTalk Moderation
04-19-2005, 07:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.