PDA

View Full Version : scaled vol light problem

anieves
10-03-2002, 03:56 AM
ok, maybe this has been documented before but couldn't find it anyhere.

I have an object with a Vol. light parented to it. I need to scale the object up because I wasn't too happy of the proportions in the set (visually) Now when I scale the object the vol light stoped to work... I played with the settings for an hour I couldn't get it to work again unless I scale the parent object back to it's original size. How come?

You can recreate this easily by making a new scene, add null, parent light to null, make light a vol. light. and scale null up... the vol. light won't render.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, any tips on how to make this work?
am I out of luck?

LyonHaert
10-03-2002, 06:04 AM
well, you could just use expressions to tie the VLight to the object in the Position and Rotation channels, but what I would do instead is go back into Modeler and scale the geometry in the same amount that you did in Layout in order to have proper proportions. especially if you were going to leave the scaling as-is for the whole animation because you preferred the proportions that way.

anieves
10-03-2002, 12:05 PM
I am lousy with expressions ;) I guess I can give that a shot and then scale in modeler as last option.

Does anybody have any idea why this happens anyways???

anieves
10-05-2002, 01:29 AM
)`a solution!!!

Is so simple, I think part of my brain got crispy tring to figure this one out... ontil it hit me!

uparent the light from the object, it should snap back to it's original postition. Then activate "Parent in place" and that's it! the vol. light won't get scaled. This is asuming that the object had already been scaled.

I told it you it was simple;)
sometimes the best solutions are the simplest ones.

This is the result:
http://www.motionblurstudio.com/WIP/city_sub.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.