PDA

View Full Version : A new tool for 3d ppl

The Time Serpent
10-03-2002, 02:57 AM
http://www.twomobile.com/content/1107.php

SheepFactory
10-03-2002, 05:34 AM
That looks very sweet!

I am looking forward to the day we'll get rid of our mouses.

bentllama
10-03-2002, 07:54 AM
Goodbye carpal tunnel.

Looks promising.

KiboOst
10-03-2002, 08:03 AM
Remember the SpaceMouse some years ago (5/6 ?) ? Not have seen one though...

bentllama
10-03-2002, 08:34 AM
I remember that contraption. There have been many gimmicks, which is why I am a little wary of this one. Need to test it out on my own for judgement though...

oh, and while on the topic of alternative input devices...I have a friend who creates 3D by using a Microsoft Game Commander to navigate and set hotkeys too...I have yet to try that...:)

MosaFacku
10-03-2002, 08:51 AM
how would this work?? i dont understand it at all??

jason-slab
10-03-2002, 09:26 AM
how would this work?? i dont understand it at all??
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
- Albert Einstein

:hmm:

MosaFacku
10-03-2002, 09:49 AM
lol.

how i think it will work and how it does work are most likely 2 completely different things my friend.

HapZungLam
10-03-2002, 04:14 PM
i don't quite understand how does it work

trask
10-03-2002, 08:48 PM
ive been waiting for something like this to use for 3d for a while now but i thought i would be in the form of some sort of glove. theres just way too many breaks in the creative flow designing 3d with a mouse even if you only use quad menus.

id have to admit though, im also a bit confused exactly how it works. the article mentions 'hand gestures'. are they saying you execute commands like sign language?

PhilWesson
10-04-2002, 12:06 AM
thats true, it looks great, and the idea is nice, but the article doesnt really go into how it works, what the user would do, and how it makes things all that much easier. I like new technology, but i dont understand this one, i'll keep my mouse, thank you

s2a-adamk
10-05-2002, 03:30 AM
Huh? I have a touch-pad on my laptop - it sucks. Would never buy one for my desktop! I can think of one gesture....

Did anyone buy one of those 3d model rotation deals a few years ago? It was like a trackball - but big enough to fit in the palm of your hand with 5 or 6 buttons around the base. Was supposed to work with a mouse - in your left hand. Don't know who made it. Image is stuck in my mind...

a

SheepFactory
10-05-2002, 04:03 AM
I dont think this product is anything similar to the touchpad on your laptop.

Gentle Fury
10-08-2002, 08:21 AM
this doesnt seem like a touchpad to me! The way they are describing it it seems a bit more like minority report......where you move your hand i 3d space and you can alter objects that way......if that is really what it is I NEED ONE!!!!!!!!! Imagine a device where you altered geometry as if it were there in your hand......and a wacom to go with it....omg, fun fun fun fun!!!!!!!!! Please be what that is please!!!!

Happy Rendering.......and hoping for the future!!!!!

Gentle Fury
10-08-2002, 08:24 AM
Mystery solved!!!! that is what it is!!!!!!

http://www.dato.com/main.html

good thing i have a splash resistant keyboard!!!!!!

red_oddity
10-08-2002, 03:50 PM
Hmmmm...seems like a bit of a useless gimmick to me...

As for CTS or RSI, i think this thing won't solve bodily harm done by repetative motions.
Hell, i bet we all get burned fingertips from this thing (or blisters, or calloused fingers (E.T. phone home anyone:p ))

LucentDreams
10-08-2002, 09:51 PM
and anyone who seriously believe the videos, especially the one where hes cntrolling the prerendered film with his fingertips, oh com on I wanna see how it really works, I think the only thing that was accurate in its portayal is the drag and drop and the rotation of the cube, otherwise looks sorta fake to me how they are doing some of those things and think of how many things you'd have to learn to controlit unlike a simple mouse or tablet pen.

goosh
10-09-2002, 12:07 AM
crap!!

check out the multimedia clip... there is no real link between what he is doing and what the video is doing... you can see it's all pre rendered stuff..

I keep my mouse

G

paconavarro
10-09-2002, 03:58 PM
Goosh its true, but it seems interesting, Id really like to test one of those things..... they could be kinda handy....

KidderD
10-09-2002, 07:23 PM
where did you find this product video, i went to the website, and it said product demo is "coming soon". why release stuff, if you can't demo it, hey I got a ... who cares.

Ohh. never mind. it's on page one.

Yeah, that sure looks like rendered video to me, and how would you control that? But, it is a cool technology direction, that will happen someday.

LucentDreams
10-09-2002, 07:28 PM
seemed rather obvious to me, articles always have lnks to he companies involved, think you sahould try there.

http://www.dato.com/main.html

smothered
10-09-2002, 09:21 PM
Hey people, first post, just had to say that this is the future of input. I'd never seen this company, but I've been using a device from another company that seems very similar. I highly recommend you check out www.fingerworks.com
They have a keyboard that is gesture based. I can't explain it any better than their webpage, but I'll give you my story with it.
I got some tendonitis. Bad. I spent weeks looking into all the alternative input I could find. After a couple hundred dollars in experimental devices, ie, head trackers, and wacoms, I found my solution. The touchstream.

I wish I could explain how incredible this technology is. I spent the first couple weeks getting used to it, and working with their developers to perfect the "maya mode" but now that i'm used to it, my wrist pain has disappeared, and I can work so much faster than I ever have.

i can't say enough about this keyboard. Yeah, it's different, Yeah, it will take getting used to. Yeah, it is a little pricey. Yeah, it's the most radically advanced computer input ive ever seen.

I like to test myself with new workflows. I try to remain flexible, because the world, and especially the computer industry, change fast. I want to be an active part in evolution, not just trying to catch up to it.

I'll hesitantly shut up about this now, but do yourself a favor and at least go to the page, see the animated gifs, try to understand what they;re trying to do. It's the next step for the mad amount of input required by todays 3d apps.

-the ever so proud premiere user of the maya touchstream interface!
Chris Neville

LucentDreams
10-10-2002, 03:27 AM
of course the perfect solution IMO is a ggod game commander pad like Belkin speedpad or mixrosoft wing strategic commander, and a wacom tablet, both very well designed for ergonomics, both highly programmable/customizable, and far more like working like an artist with a wacom tablet.

s2a-adamk
11-17-2002, 07:41 AM
Finally! I found the thing I was trying to describe in above post. Does anyone have one of these?

http://www.alsos.com/Products/Devices/SpaceBall.html

a

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.