PDA

View Full Version : Displacement maps and Maya's renderer

vox emiter
04-19-2005, 07:50 AM
Recently I was told that do to licensing restrictions I have to use Maya's renderer to output a quadruped for a feature film that is highly displacement driven apposed to using MR. The character is 27,733 unsmoothed and smoothed it's 107,786 and I am using 4k maps. Unsmoothed I get a result from the renderer, a very ugly result but still a result. When I smooth and render Maya throws the low memory error that we all know and love. I have tried a few techniques from you great people on this board but still haven't found something that works well. Should I be leaving featured displacements on or off? Does anyone have an idea of a successful workflow for using the Maya renderer on a character such as mine? I am gratefully accepting any suggestions. Please help!

MFarineau
04-19-2005, 03:57 PM
i think 'feature displacement' is something that you should be leaving on; i was playing around with trying to get some different effects from a displacement last night and while reading through the included help file (which is very helpful by the way), i remember reading something about feature displacement cutting down on render times and being nicer to your computer in terms of memory and whatnot. Apart from that i have little to no advice for you, im having some major displacement problems myself actually. Anyway if you haven't already, i highly recomend checking out the included help file with maya; it explains feature displacement and all the options below it. good luck

artsn
04-22-2005, 10:52 PM
Feature displacement utilizes adaptive tessellation which is VERY memory intensive. Besides you should be using mental ray not Mayas crappy renderer.

rmac
04-23-2005, 12:34 AM
When you are rendering are you using the internal maya render window or are you trying to batch render. Because I have a similiar problem with my thesis, the model is really light too but when i put the displacement map on it for text it goes nuts. I have to render a single frame or multiple frames as a batch.
I am guessing this isn't in your pipeline, but I was getting faster results from using Nurbs over Poly models for displacement. But like I said my model was a torus not a character model.
This is a little off topic, but I remember reading somewhere about zbrush, and it mentioned having feature displacement turned off for characters when using maya's render.

I hope I didn't ramble too much, 2 and half weeks til my thesis is suppose to be submitted and about 2 months worth of work to go.

Later
Rich M.

CGTalk Moderation
04-23-2005, 12:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.