View Full Version : Gaming stealing Hollywood's thunder

Array
10-03-2002, 01:22 AM
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-960506.html?tag=fd_top

bentllama
10-03-2002, 06:59 AM
Hear hear!!!

Horray!

Oh, and I took the liberty of making a sentence in the article a little more palatable... :)

"Animation will become really smooth. With XBOX 2 we will get lifelike stuff. The subtleties that Disney has been doing for years will come to games." :):p

Now if we can only get more capable animators into games...
...though there are games out there with alot of redeeming animation...

SlipKorn
10-03-2002, 09:21 AM
Now if we can only get more capable animators into games...

I'm trying dog, I'm trying...:airguitar

~sk

red_oddity
10-03-2002, 10:14 AM
There's enough animators, and really good ones too, the only problem is, is that publishers don't give animators enough time to finish all the animations like they should (often they have to recycle stuff, or the publisher just thinks the roughs are good enough) :annoyed:

MCronin
10-03-2002, 10:40 AM
I don't think producers are to blame for this.

There's a ton of really good animators in games and they do great animation, the problem usually comes down to the programmer or the limitations of the engine/hardware. A lot of games just take the keyframe data and do linear interpolations between the keys. The animation systems in these games are no where near as robust as the 3D software used to create the animations. You could throw an animator from Pixar in a game company and his animation is going to end up looking like crap if the hardware or the engine or the programmers aren't up to accurately recreating the animation in game.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.