PDA

View Full Version : Looking into Vue 5, and I have some questions

nemesis_256
04-19-2005, 02:27 AM
I'm looking into this software, looks like it can do some impressive stuff. But I have some questions.

1. How easy is it to use? Does it mostly generate terrain like terragen? Or is modeling it involved?

2. I'm not sure which version I would need. I would use it for making terrains, trees (animated), skies, sun and shadows. How much of this can be exported into Maya? Or maybe, can I import models from Maya along with their shader networks (color, transparency, reflectivity)?

3. Are there tutorials online to learn the program from scratch?

4. What are the major differences between the 3 versions?

Can't think of anything else right now, more questions will probably come up.

Mike.H
04-19-2005, 07:11 AM
1, for me vue has been the application with the smallest learning curve of them all, the interface,workflow and the way it works to produce something all felt very at home.

With that said, vue do some things in itīs own ways but it realy is a smooth application to learn/get into.

As for terrains, vue can just like terragen generate stuff for you and do nothing else if that is all you want from it, but it can also do so much more, thats the strongest part of vue, it is far more complex then what youīll initialy see but unlike many other tools it will still let you create beautifull scenes regardless of your level of expertise, just that the more experienced users can do so much more then you could, and yes vue can model, but itīs not a modelling application and one shoudnt buy it for that part, but itīs there to a certain point.

But you mentioned maya so use maya for that part of the workflow.

2, v5Infinite is the way to go.

It has the wind animations, it has alot better import/export features which will come in handy when working with maya (v5e can of course import models to but not export or sync cameras etc), not to mention that v5I has alot of other realy usefull features not found in v5e.

3, e.on has online tutorials, and youīll find alot of tutorials on the various boards, not to mention the manual (v5i) is pretty wellmade and vue realy is that smooth to get into so im not sure how many tutorials you realy need in the end.

4, check out e.ons website and do a comparision, you have a nice chart there.

But the major ones are, v5i has eco systems, better material/nodes/functions, wind, more export/import/sync features, more control over things while working, far better memory management + literarily hundreds of other improvements over v5e (not to say v5e isnt a nice application, it is).

nemesis_256
04-19-2005, 04:12 PM
alright I took a look at that list, it's damn long BTW. I decided I would be exporting from vue and import into Maya. Simply because getting all the shaders from Maya into Vue would be too much work, or maybe not even possible. Still have some questions about that though. Can view export the animated trees? If yes in which format? Is it in a scene file or just a movie or sequence of images?

I can't seem to figure out the terrain too well...any tips/tutorials on making and editing those?

Mike.H
04-19-2005, 10:16 PM
as far as tuts go, hereīs a brand new one covering eco systems:

http://freespace.virgin.net/david.markwick/VueTut1.html

nemesis_256
04-19-2005, 11:05 PM
hmm, don't know how useful that will be right now because I'm using esprit and not infinite. But I'll check it out.

Analog-42
04-20-2005, 01:47 AM
sdfsdf sorry about this just testing something

DorisDay
04-20-2005, 06:26 AM
Nice tut Mike.H, that cleared up a few things for me..................:thumbsup:

nickej
04-23-2005, 05:31 AM
I've found that exporting from Vue to other programs (LW, C4D, Maya) rapidly bogs down the other programs. One or two trees, a field, all become unwieldy in other programs long before the detail and poly counts bring down Vue. I think (although I haven't had too much preactice) that the best way of mixing different programs is to render separately and then composite. RPF or RLA formats contain Z data which will let you mix the scenes in post, and exporting a framework-type scene to light and pose your character in in another program is entirely possible with v5I.

richcz3
04-23-2005, 07:55 PM
1. How easy is it to use? Does it mostly generate terrain like terragen? Or is modeling it involved?

It's fairly easy to start using, but like any program its going to take some time to master. The 500+ manual is a testament to that.
If you've ever seen Bryce before the terrain creation/modification window and tools look very similar. Compared to Terragen the photoreal appearance in renders is surpassed by Vues inclusion of trees and rocks. Terragen still has the best clouds hands down.

2. I'm not sure which version I would need. I would use it for making terrains, trees (animated), skies, sun and shadows. How much of this can be exported into Maya? Or maybe, can I import models from Maya along with their shader networks (color, transparency, reflectivity)?

Infinite would be the best bet to buy as it include every option and feature. I don't use Maya but as far as I can tell tree animations are a function within Vue and are not exported. Working with exported Camera motions is your best bet. I don't have the big manual here, but Maya appears to have the best import/export support. It's best to check E-Ons site.

3. Are there tutorials online to learn the program from scratch?

There are a few good tutorials out there, but nothing on the scale of Maya, Lightwave, or Max tutorials. It's best to visit every Vue forum to get the most information. Vue5 looks like E-Ons big breakout version so its going to take some time before you see volumes of quality in depth tutorials. If you like to experiment using some basic tutorials as a base, you'll be alright.

4. What are the major differences between the 3 versions?
Check E-Ons site Click Here (http://www.e-onsoftware.com/Products/vueproductline/index.php)

Can't think of anything else right now, more questions will probably come up.

Good Luck

<Pino>
04-25-2005, 02:53 PM
... I work with maya, and have poblems with the sync tool, the focal isnt right, also the position of my translation is not correct, I think the sync tool is not so usefull and buggy, does LW or 3Ds have also problems with sync ?

richcz3
04-25-2005, 03:37 PM
... I work with maya, and have poblems with the sync tool, the focal isnt right, also the position of my translation is not correct, I think the sync tool is not so usefull and buggy, does LW or 3Ds have also problems with sync ?
Did you download the plugins update?
Its not part of the recent patches. It's a seperate download further down the Downloads page. It's called Infinite Synchro Plugins.zip

<Pino>
04-25-2005, 03:58 PM
... thanks for the tip richcz3, I will download it ant test it now :-)

<Pino>
04-25-2005, 04:30 PM
thank you richcz3, now my syncTool is working great, there is still a little thing actually in the maya sync, to change the scaling of the motion back to 1 ( a tip from AnthonyC) and there is no more problems...

Wabe
04-26-2005, 08:52 AM
Maybe a little clarification.

There are two lines so to say of Vue.

#1 The Esprit line - 4 d'Esprit and 5 Esprit. This can't export anything beside terrains. So you go there with finished models, add terrains, plants and atmo etc to it maybe and render it there. Full stop.

#2 The Pro line - 4 Pro, 5 Pro Studio and Infinite. There you have extra features like export, more light control, the plant editor etc etc. New is that you can come from 5 Esprit to 5 Pro Studio by buying plugins you need. Like plant editor, Mover (for expanded animation issues), light control etc.

Infinite is the crown and contains all that Studio has plus some more features - like Ecosystems to populate objects with other objects. Great tool.

In your case i would look for demo versions (unfortunately there isn't one for Infinite yet) and see what suits you.

Mike.H
04-27-2005, 09:31 AM
wabe is correct except that vue5 pro studio cant export anything more then vue5 esprit.

You can control lightning, vegetation, sync external models and get better animation features etc but you dont get any extra export functions.

you can read more about vue5 pro studio here (itīs nothing more then vue5 esprit with all the modules included) vue4 pro and v5Infinite is the only vue applications that can export things, and i would today only recomend people thatīs looking to syncronize vue with their existing pipeline and or export objects etc to get vue5Infinite.

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/Products/vue5/prostudio/index.php?sid=d93f7781223a573637cd51a66606c974&l=1

CGTalk Moderation
04-27-2005, 09:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.