PDA

View Full Version : Colorpencil: Mina from "Brahm Stoker's Dracula"

hordePrime
10-03-2002, 12:56 AM
This piece was done using Prismacolor pencils for a college class I took last semester. It was a simple exercise in color and blending techniques, and I thought it turned out fairly well for my first SERIOUS color pencil piece. For some reason, the blacks on the hair started to go "flat," which is why you can easily distinguish where I have gone in and touched up certain areas. I will get to touching up the rest of it in the future (not sure when). The main thing I was concerned with was to make it look as photo-real as possible, and to keep as true to Winona Ryder's visage as possible...

http://www.ringling.edu/~mpedro/Images/mina.jpg

HapZungLam
10-03-2002, 01:06 AM
great art!

however, all the colour isn't reach enough. hum.. it is a personal tastes tho. When i am drawing, i like to add a lot of colors, different colours to make the picture more interesting.

say, the red of her clothes, I would not only use red or brown. I would add yellow and pink for the specular. Dark green, purple, and blue for the ambien and shadows. which will make the art work more interesting.

once again, really great work.

vudu
10-03-2002, 01:35 AM
wo-ow! that's truly a great piece!!:thumbsup:

to avoid that flattening effect you could add some reflex on her hair. it's like backlight coming reflected from other objects in the scene.

PokeChop
10-03-2002, 02:56 AM
Very nice hordePrime. HapZungLam does have a good point too. To add some interesting color to the drawing, try using yellow and pink for the specular like HapZungLam is suggesting to give it a nice little pop in those high color areas. Don't get me wrong, this piece is so well done, Miss Ryder looks like she could jump right off that page. Good work really. I can only imagine you will get plenty of attention around here on CGTALK with excellent work like this! Keep it up! Goooooooooood job!

Riptyde
10-03-2002, 03:01 AM
Great job!

If you are refereing to the "flattness" as the glossy look of the prisma color wax, you can get that back by gently wiping it down with a tissue. When I did a this same type of drawing, I would notice that if I set it aside for a day or so, and come back to it, there would be a slight film on it. Wiping it with a tissue brings that gloss back.

Riptyde

stickyblue
10-03-2002, 05:12 AM
awesome dude you rock ! nice to see you here

:buttrock:
you know im not good enough to critique you :)

well i have to do it in the concept class sorry hehehe

.oO-cloak-Oo.
10-03-2002, 05:18 AM
Very nice! Keep it up.:thumbsup:

Carina
10-03-2002, 10:35 AM
impressive! I wish i could draw like that.

I never read posts really until i've looked at the images.. and I was thinking straight away "Winona Ryder", so I think you can take that as a compliment!

Dr-spline
10-03-2002, 11:49 PM
The neclace seems dull but besides that amazing.

xmb
10-04-2002, 11:04 AM
I THINK THE "FLAT" BLACK LOOKS BETTER

Bryan
10-04-2002, 11:08 AM
:wip:
wonderful work!
and in my monitor the bright color explode,i need to fire my monitor.

red_oddity
10-04-2002, 01:18 PM
I don't know which one is prettier, Wynona or your drawing....me liky it alot :p

Ed Bittner
10-04-2002, 01:48 PM
Good job! From my own experience, using colored pencils is a pain in the a** because they inherently have no depth. Doing a school project, one usually has to stick to the required medium, which is usually up to the instructers discretion. When doing 2D artwork I try to encourage my students to mix their medium,i.e. stiff acrylic with soft airbrush,or to even wet the tip of some colored pencil to give a smoother, less grainy effect. Overall, I'd say you made a good effort especially with the pencils limitations.(But I think Ms. Ryder's nose is slightly shorter).
Ed

DJace
10-04-2002, 02:03 PM
"FREE WYNONA"
thats a lovely piece!

Sleepless
10-04-2002, 02:19 PM
Riptydes right it's that evil waxy build-up from heavily covering with Prismacolor. His cure is all I can think of. Nice realistic pic.

Joel Hooks
10-04-2002, 03:41 PM
You can seal prisma with matte or gloss spray when you are finished to prevent the wax from oxidizing.

What is the size of the image? That is really nice pencil work!

CarlCampbell
10-04-2002, 05:07 PM
She looks slightly similar to Salma Hayek :thumbsup: Anyhow, dey're both hot, so mad props anyways ;)

Carl :beer:

slice56
10-04-2002, 08:38 PM
very nice piece. How is Ringling? hehe....i say ringling b/c i see you are residing in sarasota. And I know that's the only reason that someone would go to sarasota, FL. So, how is that school? I almost went there, but for some reason, Full Sail seemed to be a better choice for me.

dmcgrath
10-04-2002, 10:40 PM
I think another technique for helping change the attitude of a colored pencil is to use turpentine. This can smell bad, so take your mothers advice and use it in a well ventilated area.

There is a book Illustrators Bible (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0823025322/qid=1033771425/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-3794503-6160825) by Rob Howard. It has many popular and some obscure techniques to painting, drawing, illustration. A must have for every illustrator.

lmc
10-05-2002, 05:27 AM
Great colour sense babe, good job:applause: :thumbsup:

jsteel2001
10-05-2002, 08:26 AM
I opened up CGtalk and saw your image in the header, so I just had to stop in and say hi. And I see Firat found it too. ;)

I think the drawing looks better IRL though, it's a shame not everyone was there to see all the detail and hardwork you put into that last year. :thumbsup:

Raul-Reznek
10-05-2002, 08:42 AM
Being Romanian, I am very ATTRACTED to DRACULA.

Blea!!!Suckh ja bluud!! :D

Nice drawing!!

nickz
10-05-2002, 05:18 PM
It's refreshing to see people still doing traditional art. Looks great. Keep 'em coming!

Peace,

NickZ. : P

PokeChop
10-06-2002, 05:17 AM
Hey again hordePrime. Just steppin back in here to say congrats on your 5 stars. Well deserved!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.