PDA

View Full Version : where has everyone gone?

krisr
10-03-2002, 12:48 AM
Is it just me or has there not been much traffic in this forum lately (Soft3D/XSI)? Has everyone moved to XSIbase.com? :shrug:

HapZungLam
10-03-2002, 01:49 AM
even XSIbase doesn't have much ppl talking.

i think it is now fewer XSI user in the world. that's why.

krisr
10-03-2002, 02:11 AM
no ppl on XSIbase!!!??......are you out of your skull? :eek: There's definitely increased traffic over there.....just here it seems a little slow. I guess its just because there aren't many hobbyists using XSI.

plug3
10-03-2002, 02:24 AM
Same on Highend3d...:thumbsdow

EdHarriss
10-03-2002, 02:39 AM
We're all too busy makin money! :)

Seriously, most of the XSI people that I know are too busy working and can't break away to participate in forums. :p (Good for them, bad for the forums.)

acidboy
10-03-2002, 02:46 AM
Yeah I know what yaz are saying.

I simply haven't posted for awhile due to my lack of problems with XSI ;)

But yeah XSIbase seems to be getting more popular, same with Softimage's XSI mailing list.

They're my main source of XSI info.

Still sad to see it getting so quiet here :shrug:

ggg
10-03-2002, 03:07 AM
highend is DEAD
I have noticed lately that powerusers vs hobbyists are on forums less and less.
Maybe its the money, but the lack of XSI use job offers vs Houdini and Maya job use offers at least for my group at SIGGRAPH was very disheartening after spending almost a year getting back into Softimage, looks like money will come using a different app for us, but I'll keep learning and appreciating it when I can, its speed and ease of use is unmatched.
Sorry, just my two cents that I have at the moment.

acidboy
10-03-2002, 03:49 AM
ggg: Yeah I totally understand what ya saying about jobs out there. But don't lose hope as any app takes some time to become a standard in the industry.

When my interest went from May to XSI, I keep getting asked "What jobs are out there for people using XSI, compared to Max\Maya?"

But xsi really never got noticed till ver. 2. which was less then a year ago. The mighty Maya took some time to get where it is and so would any app, including XSI.

Keep the faith Bro ;)

DeepFried
10-03-2002, 04:43 AM
If it is any indication...

I know there are a couple development teams in my company that have begun to use XSi in their pipelines about 8-10 months ago. I don't think all the work is done in XSi (still use Maya for modelling and texturing) but as the package matures and stabilizes I'm sure you will see more people willing to switchover.

Only time will tell.

I like xsibase...at least there are no "which is the best package" threads.

:d

Atyss
10-03-2002, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by DeepFried

That's because we don't allow such pointless discussions there :shame:

I agree that Highend3d is pretty dead. I think the problem is because this place is not moderated at all, and there is no interesting activities to promote XSI (like XSI contests, polls, etc).
The same thing goes for 3DBuzz. I have nothing against them, but the thing is that there is no moderation made there, anyone post anything, so you see a lot, and I mean a lot, of stupid and unprofessional posts. It's no surprise everyone left. (I must point out that because of a cookie problem, I didn't got very involved there... all posts are always listed as read, so it makes it hard to follow threads).

I don't want to plug my forum, but I think that if XSI Base is so successful is because we (mods) are very involved in it and try to constantly improve it. We moderate a lot (removing posts, writing privately to users to get things strait, etc). In the long run, it's more appealing to the users. We set up a lot of interesting features exclusively dedicated to the XSI users, like news, articles, interviews (many are coming soon!), and we are in good terms with Softimage.

But I also agree that there is less traffic these days. Even if our number of users have increased, the average amount of posting hasn't increased much.

I don't know for the market in general, I am on the impression that more and more people are using XSI. Many pros don't like forums either, you rarely see Roger Rosa, Anthony Rossano, Guy Rabiller, Matt Lind, Kim Aldis, Bradley Gabe, Adam Sale, Ludovick Michaud, Jordi Bares, and the Softimage employees on forums. Sad, but they are all on the XSI List!

I remember that at the same period last year, the traffic in general (both on forums and mailing lists) was twice what it is now. Hope it's only cyclic :shrug:

Just my 2 cents
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

grendizer
10-03-2002, 10:00 AM
The problem I that there are too many forums.

It would be a dream to have just ONE forum for ALL Xsi users. People could access this forum through email, web or newsgroups.
I'm sure it's possible to create such a forum.
g :lightbulb

vmpre
10-03-2002, 11:58 AM
Hi everyone.

I dont post very often in any forum or the mailing list.

The main reason is simply no TIME. I use XSI day in and day out. For every aspect of the pipeline, modeling, texturing, lighting and animating. I am working 14 hours a day, 6 days a week. In fact, I am at work here at 630am writing this. This time of the year is crunch time for the business that I am in, everyone trying to get done in time for Christmas. So, I think that for the most part people are just slamming busy with very little time to post.

I also beileve that most people have switched over to XSIBASE. Which is a testament to the people who run it. They are truly top notch which is why I think most people are heading over there. I hardly read HighEnd3D, 3DBuzz is more fun reading then any real help for power users. CGtalk is good. But I spend most of my free time on XSIBase and the Softimage Mailing lists.

DeepFried, in Vancouver, I think you are and I are in the same biz. ;) I was doing the same thing as you guys. Modeling in one package and finishing in XSI. In the past 3 months I have almost moved completely into XSI. MAX is a great tool and I still use it, but it was just becoming to cumbersome to model and texture in MAX then light and finish in XSI. So I just dove in and I am now doing it all in XSI. Sure there are some things I miss from MAX, but there are things in XSI that I like better. Its nice to know that I can get the job done in either package. But it made my life easier to just do it all in XSI.

Anyway,

Thats my view....

Back to work :)

Vmpre

belly80naz
10-03-2002, 12:22 PM
I think that Avid is in degrade. I define me more: Avid and AliasWavefront are the directly rivals in 3D package, but the Avid's maintenance is over 3000 Euro (or $, it's equal) in this year, and XSI is not at Maya's level. In my opinion Maya Complete, from 1 to 10 levels, it's on 8:thumbsup:; XSI base version (not Extreme version) in the same scale is on 4 or 5 level:thumbsdow.
In fact I'm learning Maya at this time. :p

ggg
10-03-2002, 01:02 PM
Comparing other packages can be valuable to improve workflow in the other package and visa versa or even reveal unrealized possibilites that already existed with current toolsets. XSI has taught me how to use Houdini better and Houdini has taught me how to use XSI and Maya better.

I agree though, software wars without specific and useful comparisons for the purpose of improvement in their respective features or ones use of them is counter productive.

Go ahead learn Maya, its a powerful package.
I'm not sure that Avid is in "Degrade" $ compared to A/W SGI.

krisr
10-03-2002, 01:41 PM
XSI isn't chep and maintenance isn't cheap for one major reason.....R&D!!! Avid/SoftImage has a great R&D team if you ask me....probably the best in the industry. User's suggestions and ideas are directly implemented into the product development pipeline.

Ed....I agree...I don't have too much time for the forums myself since I'm usually too busy working...thats why most of posts are late at night :D

DeepFried
10-03-2002, 05:18 PM
Atyss: I'm glad to hear that the mods are more active at XSibase. At the beginning of this year I found a really cool 2D forum with very active mods, lots of activities and alot of people responding to one another. As of late the number of members at that site has grown. There seems to be alot less moderating and a few of the activities have been left hanging (at least, that I could see).

The Mods and Admins forsaw this and there had been discussions about how to handle the growing member list.
I don't know what they did to try to resolve this but it doesn't seem to have worked. People became a little too clicky - only responding to longtime members and new members seeming to be given the cold shoulder. Also, people had no patience for newbies (because the same questions would always arise).

Hopefully the same won't happen at XSibase.

vmpre: Do you work in Vancouver? or Burnaby? Games or Film? I'm curious now.

Atyss
10-03-2002, 09:04 PM
The Mods and Admins forsaw this and there had been discussions about how to handle the growing member list.
I don't know what they did to try to resolve this but it doesn't seem to have worked. People became a little too clicky - only responding to longtime members and new members seeming to be given the cold shoulder. Also, people had no patience for newbies (because the same questions would always arise).

Hopefully the same won't happen at XSibase.

We will do what we can to avoid this.

About the faq problem, I easily understand one gets the cold shoulder attitude. Most of the time, newcomers ask questions that, like you said, have been answered many times. All forums have a search engine, but for some mysterious reasons it doesn't seem to be used a lot. So it's getting boring to always answer the same things (good examples are "how do I export stuff from max or Maya to XSI" and "how do I use shaders downloaded from the net"). The solution I found is to build a FAQ section in each discussion, like at Highend3d in the Maya forums.

Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

EdHarriss
10-04-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by belly80naz
I think that Avid is in degrade.

I doubt that is the case. However, at times it may look that way. People may think that just because there do not seem to be very many new XSI jobs that no one is buying XSI. But most people forget about are the type of customers that buy XSI but don't need new employees. (Which at the moment is what I suspect makes up the bulk of new XSI sales.) These are customers that are switching from one software to another or adding XSI to their toolset.

As a matter of fact, just today I had lunch with a few people that work at a studio which just switched from "another program" to XSI. This is not just some fly by night company either. They had been using "other program" (and it's predecessors) for over 10 years. They bought many licenses of XSI but did not hire any new employees. (Just retrained the ones they had.) Although they did mention that they will be needing new people soon.

vmpre
10-04-2002, 11:32 AM
I agree with Ed on that.

For us...we have gone from 5 licenses of Soft 3D to 5 licenses of XSI. And within the past 3 months, we are now up to 10 copies of XSI.

I also suspect that a lot Softimage funds come in the form of support contracts. Every copy of XSI that we have is under support. Which in my opion is a must. If I ever get stuck, I just call them up and they can give me a hand. And that is worth every penny that we pay.

Vmpre

wmendez
10-05-2002, 03:04 AM
And their support is top notch as well, At least in cases when I have called them.

frumpy_bunyin
10-05-2002, 04:57 AM
That's funny, right now I'm using xsi for modeling and uv work and exporting to maya for texturing and rendering through pr-man (Via mayaman).
For polies anyway.

FB

If it is any indication...

I know there are a couple development teams in my company that have begun to use XSi in their pipelines about 8-10 months ago. I don't think all the work is done in XSi (still use Maya for modelling and texturing) but as the package matures and stabilizes I'm sure you will see more people willing to switchover.

Only time will tell.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.