PDA

View Full Version : Still Life: Spiffy studio apartment

Rye
10-02-2002, 11:43 PM
Hallo heres some stills from a scene ive been working today and yesterday. Sorry they are so small, I dont have any place to host them. I used 3ds max 4. Let me know whatcha think!

Rye
10-02-2002, 11:45 PM
"livingroom"

aor
10-02-2002, 11:45 PM
only one? :cry: i like it a lot! cool! more more more!

:airguitar

aor
10-02-2002, 11:47 PM
ack.. sorry..something happened (prob me being twitchy:p), and i didn't see the second one... still cool!

WarpedMinds
10-03-2002, 12:40 AM
WoW man great work.. !

HapZungLam
10-03-2002, 01:00 AM
Interior is one of my worst enemy.

you did a great j ob on lighting. good lighting really helps. I love yours. great job.

ToddD
10-03-2002, 02:25 AM
Looks pleasant! What kind of light set up, and what renderer? Scanline? Nice job!:beer:

say-g
10-03-2002, 02:40 AM
vnice indeed

it only took u 2 days to modeling all that then light it ?

Rye
10-03-2002, 02:41 AM
Thanks a bunch for the kind words : ), anyone have any pointers that might help me out with mistakes i may have overlooked? Hapzung i know what you mean about interior lighting, this is pretty much the first one ive ever finished and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, but it was definitely not easy.

Tbonz: yes its the standard max renderer with photoshop levels/balance adjustments for more contrast. THe light set up is pretty straightforward. Its a directlight coming through the window and omnis placed around the room to simulate bounce, thats about it.

crazymopho
10-03-2002, 04:22 AM
So what's the rent on a place like that? Because i'd live there!

Blood Rayne
10-03-2002, 05:05 AM
That is great!:beer:

The only thing I noticed that was a little off were the curtains, they shouldn't look perfectly in place, but thats a small thing.
The mirror should have some glare also. Overall it is great work.:buttrock:

slice56
10-03-2002, 05:44 AM
great work man! the only thing i see is the corners of the room are a little too dark. just a little bit. See how dark they are? should be a little brighter. Other than that, its looking great!

Rye
10-03-2002, 05:51 AM
say-g: yup 2 days : ) i modeled the couches a few months ago when i first started 3d and since this was for a job and needed to be done immediately i just grabbed em and threw em in there, but they had not texture before.

crazymopho" well if it were here in socal, id say the rent would be about 1,300 a month :surprised:

bloodrayne: i agree the curtains need some work, they are just instances of each other right now so I guess it is a little too perfect. Might add a glare to the mirror if i get a chance to go back into this.

slice56: That is something I just could not figure out how to fix without messing up the rest of the lighting. I guess it was like a sacrifice I chose to make so I could maintain the rest of the image. Is it too prominant though? Did it stick out right away as wrong, or do you think its excusable? If you have any advice on how to get rid of it that would rock.

thanks again, you guys have really increased my confidence in 3d and inspired me to do more more more!

rye

santiago
10-03-2002, 06:27 AM
Really nice renders dude!

I like how the bed turned out, and great colours man, nice lighting.
I'd try to fix the dark corners. There are also several objects that look too flat, like the carpet, curtains, stuff like that could somehow be improved a bit. Maybe just making the textures less perfect, asymetrical, might divert the sensation of flatness. I dunno how I'd go around making a carpet look thick, there must be a way.

The guiter could use a more woody texture, ya think? Maybe that's a taste issue.

Overall, I really like it man! Keep up the good stuff!

santiago
10-03-2002, 06:29 AM
Another thing, the lamp on the bed night table, looks like it isn't properly lit. It's behind those blinders anyways, but thought I'd mention it.

tariel
10-03-2002, 07:26 AM
Really great, pretty realistic !:buttrock:
What type of lights did you use ? I'm also working on a room interior, but have some problems with lightning.:annoyed:

daevid
10-03-2002, 08:25 AM
Looking great, some minor comments:
- I agree that the guitar looks flat. Don't really think a more grainy texture would be enough, though. I'd rather exaggerate the beveling of the edge so that it catches the light (maybe you could add a light just to accentuate the volume of the guitar). Also the proportions of the elements on the front of the guitar (hole, attachment of strings etc) looks a bit odd to me. It may just as well be that my own guitar looks different though...
- The desk and mirror on it seems to be perfectly parallel to the wall. I usually exaggerate and rotate all objects a little bit in order to avoid the perfect CG-look and create a more cosy feeling.
- The couches are exact duplicates, right? I'd move around the cushons to make sure no one notices. Maybe you could add an object in one of them to break up the symmetry (for example a folded blanket)

- David

liquid_tension
10-03-2002, 08:30 AM
very very nice job!! but since the beggining i thought there was omething odd about the guitar, it looks too big, or then the desk is way to small, but they just seem out of proportion either one or the other.

but nice lighting and texturing!
:thumbsup:

oxygen_77
10-03-2002, 10:46 AM
Only two things I notice that could use a little work are the edges of the armrests on the sofas seem like they could use more smoothing or something... some sofas have a small tubular piece of plastic stitched into the edges to help it hold its shape... maybe something like that... second thing is the rug on the floor looks a bit flat... maybe try to give that some thickness... Really good use of color and lighting in my opinion and the layout looks really nice too... overall great looking work!!!

baby
10-03-2002, 02:49 PM
lightning...

much harder than a night ligntning...especially with no GI or radiosity !!!

:airguitar

Rye
10-03-2002, 04:46 PM
thanks for the suggestions everyone im going to work them all today.
santiago: I just extruded the polys a little bit more to exagurate the thickness of the carpet, hopefully that'll do that trick. I agree the curtains almost looks like flat planes, they are actually all geometry so I'm going to exagurate that as well. I'll give a wood texture on the guitar a shot also.

tariel: its about 20 omnis and one direct light for the sunlight coming through the window. Theres a great interior lighting tutorial out there somewhere. I found it somewhere in the boards here, but I cant remember where, check the lighting board.

daevid: seems like a lot of people think the guitar is strange which is odd because there are so many different shapes and sizes for guitars, i know mine is pretty huge at home. But I'll double check the proportions just in case. Good idea about turning things slighty, thanks!

liquid: The desk is a little more than 3 feet tall and the chair is about the same height as the bed, so it could be the guitar, but maybe its one of those texas style jumbo guitars :)

oxygen: I had the tube stiching in the arms like you suggested but it loo0ked funny, Ill see if i can get it to work. I agree about the smoothing. maybe ill rebuild since i built them such a long time ago.

Chillydawg
10-04-2002, 03:29 AM
This is off-topic but Rye, what is the story of your avatar? I have one of those character in plush at home and I have no idea where it comes from. Earlier this summer I saw this pic that probably a lot of you saw where a kitten is chased by two of those things and now I see them everywhere! I thought this plush was anything in particular for ots very old but now I start to wonder... Could it be a japanimation thing or somewhat???

Now to get on the topic, I think that your work is very very good! The only things I noticed is that the floor seems too shiny, too new, andj that the guitar looks like is floating a bit, or maybe it lacks details compared to the rest... But I'm being picky, the whole thing is quite impressive!

cheer! :applause:

Triadis
10-04-2002, 03:36 AM
For the guitar, the shape and size is right. Just the bridge needs to be a little bigger and further away from the sound hole. Also, the bridge should have a white plastic strip on it that prop the strings up.

Also, I think the final touches would be an inlay design around the sound hole. And sides of the guitar could be darker than the face.

-Alex

Rye
10-04-2002, 04:51 AM
chillydawg: its domokun! the loveable tv mascot for BS tv station in japan. He stars in little skits with stop motion animation usually. THats my attempt at a 3d model of him, but i never finished it :). The floors are meant to look new, if it were my own project I would make the floors older and dirtier but the client likes clean clean clean! So they are freshly waxed floors, but maybe they are more reflective than what is natural? Ill check tomorrow morning when i get back to work.

Triadis: thanks for the pic, i noticed i had it up too high so i moved it down some but it looks like i might move it down furter. Great idea about the inlay on it though, i didnt think about that thanks!

I'll post an update tomorrow hopefully if i finish playing around with little details and nitpicky stuff. :wavey:

Sgt.ArchAngel
10-04-2002, 04:57 AM
looks great
nothing i can say except wouldnt the curtains have light passing through them and bouncing off the wall?
on the top image in the right back corner you see the shadow of the curtain but its solid and the curtain is so thin..i could be wrong so correct me if I am please.

anyway otehr than that and the crits the others gave i gotta say it looks great

Rye
10-04-2002, 05:11 AM
i wish i could do that in max Archangel, but i cant figure out how except using a raytraced light. That would make the shadows waayyyy to sharp though :( since this is meant for a still however, I will just do it in photoshop!

piajartist
10-04-2002, 05:58 AM
I really, really like this piece,

The light is superb

daevid
10-04-2002, 08:38 AM
One cheat you can use to fake transparent shadowmaps for single objects is to create a copy of your main lightsource. Then divide the multiplier value between the lights and set one of them to exclude shadow casting on the curtains.

This of course increases you render times a bit but probably not as much as using raytraced lights.

- David

Rye
10-04-2002, 11:51 PM
heres the final version (i hope)
http://www.wendyness.com/rye/art/livingroom02.jpg

Rye
10-05-2002, 01:05 AM
http://www.wendyness.com/rye/art/bedroom02.jpg

Chillydawg
10-05-2002, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the hint Rye! I went on a Domokun hunt and came back with a lot fun! Our little Domokun now has an history. Amusingly, his place in the house has always been on top of the tv... Mmmm... there must be something there...

Other than that, I unfortunatly cannot see your last image, the link seems not to work or my browser won't read it as it sometime does... i will look again later...

So... thanks again!

:scream:

bigbad
10-05-2002, 01:41 AM
most people Ive meet who own a guitar have a messy room.
Alright, I only know one person with a guitar and he had a messy room.:rolleyes:
My point is that the room is to clean for a guitar.

The rooms are just perfect. Nice lightning. Maybe the carpet is too flat.

You are a profesional, dude. :thumbsup:

Sorry 4 my english.

userid: 15152
10-05-2002, 03:00 AM
Hi Rye,

really cool image .. please tell us about floor's wood . i have see many
image like your floor' room ,but i want to know ,is floor's wood a free marerial
on the web . which link ? how about carpet texture ? give us more info please .

Rye
10-05-2002, 05:23 AM
piajarist: thank you! :)

daevid: thank you so much! it worked perfectly, you rule!

Chillydawg: thats hillarious, what a coincidence. Did you download all the movies? They are out there somewhere, great stuff, especially the one where he breaks through the wall during a news cast and dances with cheerleaders.

bigbad: lol I would LOVE to go in and make this room thrashed (much like my own), but unfortunately this is meant to help sell furniture to people with very small apartments, and I dont think the client would be thrilled with dirty socks littering the floor :shrug: One of the reasons the carpet looks flat is cause it was so difficult to light that area correctly. I had the hardest time getting much more than a dim fuzzy shadow under the coffee table.

Zargarour: Well the floor is a texture made at my work and I don't think I'm allowed to distribute it, sorry. However it is basically a wooden texture tiled a bunch of times and then lines were drawn in photoshop to seperate the beams. The carpet was found online just by searching for rugs on google, and then playing with it in photshop to make it unique. Hope that helps ya out a little bit?

I made a black and white image for my portfolio, ill see if i can find it.

Rye
10-05-2002, 05:32 AM
http://www.wendyness.com/rye/art/bedroom02bw.jpg

ok now im officially done : ) I really like the way this looks in black and white, gives it a whole new mood. Thank you everyone for all your critiques and ideas, they helped so much!

Vovik3D
10-05-2002, 08:57 AM
Very Nice interior with beauty shaders

Sgt.ArchAngel
10-05-2002, 10:26 AM
looks better

you could sue finalrender too (if ya can afford it)
or brazil

or (donno hwo it will look) add another spot light in the exact same place as the one outside and excude everything except the curtain and change its shadow type/color and exlude the curtains in the original light

just an idea if you feal like tinkering

lighting
10-05-2002, 12:01 PM
i flet the shadows were too soft .and the qualities looked same .(only some suggestions of myself):rolleyes:

Chillydawg
10-05-2002, 04:04 PM
Ah, very good! The guitar definitly have more presence now and the less shiny floor works better for me. I also dig the black and white pic, it's very nice indeed.

And yes, I downloaded one of the Domokun films, it's hillarious! It's good to see that our little tv god is not a kind of crappy teletubby.

Keep up the good work!

:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.