PDA

View Full Version : Can't get pure white BG on export

dubge
04-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Hope you guys can help. I'm importing PNG files ( I've tried without and with alpha, I get the same result) into AE 6. I have a 3d object with animation and white background the renders are white and in AE they are white. But when I render it out of AE in QT sorenson 3 (640x480)best quality the white turns to a slight grey. But I do need it to be white not close to white. Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong? Or what I could do to get it to stay white? thanks.

blacknoise
04-18-2005, 07:45 PM
well you can use sorenson compression for the preview movies but definitely not for the final product. use the animation or none with 100% quality.
or maybe you are using some filter that limits the color depth to the broadcast colors? in tv if you have 100% white, it will simply make you blind :)

does it help?

dubge
04-18-2005, 08:34 PM
Thanks black noise. I tried both outputs but it yeilded the same results. Any other ideas? The work(I think) is suposed to be used in flash but it has to be in sorenson or png quicktime format. Png works and I get my white back ground but the frame rate is all screwed up so I get my wish but it comes at a cost. Frame rate sucks and the file is huge.

blacknoise
04-18-2005, 08:57 PM
and it's going be used in flash? oh damn... ;)

can you show me how the movie looks like->sorenson version? url?

lup
04-19-2005, 12:54 PM
i got the same pb yesterday : a nice white surface with a little glow in AE : shiny result.
But when i export the sequence it becomes greyish ....
:banghead:

blacknoise
04-19-2005, 01:48 PM
guys, can you show me any screenshots? or better... movie clips? are you using 3d layers? material options?

dubge
04-20-2005, 01:13 AM
I'll get you an example tomorrow. hands are tied today. Thanks Blacknoise for all the help so far.

dubge
04-21-2005, 07:45 PM
Here is an example of what i'm talking about. The shot on the left is from QT sor 3. The shot on the right is of the original PNG. Hope this helps.

http://jumpinmyhead.com/test.jpg

Rapier
04-21-2005, 08:02 PM
Quicktime with the Sorenson codec has ALWAYS had a problem darkening things for as long as I can remember. One thing you can try is to open up the options diaolge box for the codec (not sure if you need to have the full registered version of Quicktime or not) and there should be a way to lighten it from there before the process of encoding.

blacknoise
04-21-2005, 08:15 PM
i did some tests and it's indeed fault of the sorenson codec. and unfortunatly i didnt find any sorenson settings that would help :\

dubge
04-21-2005, 09:09 PM
Ya that's what I thought. Like I said before the only way I get pure whit is QT png's but they lose frame rate. If you can think of any other format(in QT) that may help, let me know. Thanks guys for the help.

blacknoise
04-21-2005, 09:49 PM
well you can get pure white with a lot of formats. i.e. quicktime, animation, 100% quality. or none compression.

Rapier
04-22-2005, 12:54 AM
Actually, now that I think about it, I know what you can do. However, you MUST have the full version of the Quicktime player.

When I mentioned Sorenson settings, I made a mistake. I had forgotten that the settings were in the player itself! Try this: Open your image sequence into Quicktime, it's right in the file menu. Then back in the file menu pick Export. From new menu, chose "Export movie to Quicktime movie". Then click on Options. Where the Video box is checked, you will see Settings, Filter, and Size. Click on the Filter button and when the next window appears, you will twirl down the Adustments and finally oh finally you will see Brightness. You can tweak that and get what you are looking for.

gray117
04-22-2005, 12:27 PM
hmmm... not being an ae expert i am slightly hesitant in posting this... but if you are imprting 3d stuff - particularly if you apply any depth of field etc. and you want to keep the white background that you got from the environment in say 3dsmax the best thing to do is get rid of it! On import select unmatted and change ae background to white.

Admitedly there are then the codecs to sort out but i found quicktime mpeg4 full detail seemed fine without any filter changes.

As i said i don't know if this is directly relevant but it may help someone out ;P

CGTalk Moderation
04-22-2005, 12:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.