PDA

View Full Version : Lattice points always locked when Referenced

emmull
04-18-2005, 04:30 PM
I've noticed that the lattice points seem to be locked no matter what I do when I Reference a scene that contains them. The cage itself will transform with no problem, but playing with the points themselves will give the notice "One or more components are locked and cannot be modified." The Lock feature is off when creating the reference, and I made sure there was no keying whatsoever on the ffd in the main parent scene. Thanks for any help =]

brooklyn
04-18-2005, 07:14 PM
A quick workaround I found was to open the original nonreferenced file and create a cluster on one of the lattice points. Delete the cluster, then save the scene. Now when you reference the scene the lattice ponts should be unlocked.

Hope that helps.

emmull
04-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Hey Brooklyn, I don't know how the heck you managed to find that out, but boy did it work :) your awesome

thematt
04-19-2005, 07:28 AM
man that's a crazy workaround :eek: good tip though, hope I remember if I ever run into that problem

cheers

faulknermano
04-20-2005, 08:01 AM
i dont know why, but brooklyn's advice gave me a hint towards another problem with lattice point components.

the problem i had was trying to get lattice points to be character set members. for some reason, after assigning the xyzValue attribs of these points via Channel Box moving them became a problem. i selected a bunch of these lattice points and, for some reason, only the first indiced point in the selection moved. actually they all moved in the viewport, but upon mouse release all of the points except the first one snapped back to their previous location.

this was driving me nuts because it works fine if the points were not involved in a character set.

so what i did was select the points and created a single cluster for them. then i selected the points again, selected their attribs in the channel box and then assigned them a character set. from there, everything worked as it should.

of course, i do no know why maya behaves this way. it's just weird.

darkjedi1929
04-20-2005, 08:28 AM
Neat workaround brooklyn.

About the lattice points not moving in the reference file, well it's a simple explanantion. When a file is referenced, you cannot edit it's base mesh using it's components; because the file is not "Actually There", if you know what I mean. It is just an instance of the main file which is somewhere in the system.

This also serves as a good security measure, in a way. It prevents the animator from changing the mesh in a "unique" way and screwing things up for everybody (no offense to any animators). I ought to know, I worked briefly in the pipeline department over there. Heh.:scream:

CGTalk Moderation
04-20-2005, 08:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.