PDA

View Full Version : 3 legged spiderlike creature movement?

cok3
04-18-2005, 12:06 PM
Does anybody have any ideas on how a three legged creature can move? the creature i'm workin on is basically has long spiderlike legs, and has a moveable head. Are there any references i can look at for something that moves similar? any links would be helpful, diagrams, sketches, i need all the help i can get.

Heres a rough idea of my character

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/cok3y/creature.jpg

Dave_Hingley
04-18-2005, 11:04 PM
looking at the model i would say it should take very small, short steps. whilst 1 leg is in the air it is un balanced. unless it had more of a limping gait ( the middle leg moves out quickly and pulls the other two legs up behind it.

3 legs seems tricky. mainly for the whole balancing thing. with 2 legs it makes sense as the COM generally moves over the planted foot, with 4 legs generally the opposite feet are planted (for example front right back left) which gives it some degree of stability whilst making the step even 6 and 8 legs are ok as the balance is maintained whilst taking the step but i have never really found a good way of doing 3.

how about this. from you start pose move the hed toward the front leg then move the back leg ( in the middle in the illustration) before moving the remaining leg, then take another step forward with the front leg again. The will be quite a bit of rocking in the head as it has to swing all over the place to maintain some balance.

cok3
04-18-2005, 11:31 PM
Hey thanks for your advice Dave_Hingley. I agree that the head will need to be used a lot to maintain balance. I look kinda menacing swaying its head around while staring at its victim. Just have to make sure it won't look goofy whi'le doin it. Just wondering though, are there any actual 3 legged references i can look at?

BiGMaCHiNe
04-19-2005, 12:29 AM
i could be wrong but i think the little spider scanning gizmo thingys in minority report have 3 legs. ( for reference sake )

cok3
04-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Thanks! They are three legged! The way they walk is two front legs first, then the back leg, that way they are more stable.

CGTalk Moderation
04-19-2005, 02:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.