PDA

View Full Version : Scanning bigger images than the scanner ?

Pavel Lazarov
04-17-2005, 08:04 PM
Hello all,

I found tutorial how to scan big images with photoshop some time ago but I lost it. It was something like scanning images on parts ... I made a serach but cannot find it. And I really need it now. Anyone knows the link for it or some similar tutorial ?

Any help will be much appreciated! Thank you...

madart
04-18-2005, 06:57 AM
I don't know of any tutorials or links.

But what I usually did, was to scan the painting in several pieces(parts), save every scanned piece as one image.

Then make one big document in Photoshop, the same size as the painting.

You move the different pieces/images that you have scanned into the bigger document/image.

When that is done there is quite a bit of work to do, to fit all the pieces together.

You might have to rescan some pieces.

A tip for fitting the pieces together, is to change the layer you want to put into place, to Difference layer mode, when the image is black where the two pieces overlap, you know that you've got it in the right place.

You might have to rotate some pieces as the painting might not have been lying completely straight in the scanner.

You might also have to do some color correction to parts of the pieces, depending on your scanner.

I have done this several times in the past and it worked well for me.

The easiset thing would naturally be to use a digital camera, if you have access to one.

Pavel Lazarov
04-18-2005, 09:30 AM
It seems that I didnt used the right keywords... I found a lot of tuts now!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=bg&q=photoshop+scanning+tutorial+large+stitch&lr=

Here is one that works perfectly for me:

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=125

Thanks for the info madart ... :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2005, 09:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.