PDA

View Full Version : My first dually!

InclininWirefree
04-17-2005, 07:44 PM
Hello there

My first ever dually...even though the sum total ALL the 'Xeon vs Opteron' shootouts on the Internet zeroed down to...well...nothing...number crunching versus multimedia work, chipset support, motherboard options...considered all, i opted for the Opterons...

the single most strongest & logical argument i came across was in favor of the Opterons...the fact that whatever else is said in favor of the Xeons, nothing can hide the fact that two physical processors share the same FSB.

anyways, this is not what this thread is all about (although u may eXpress ur views)...

My question is as follows:

Option 1: ASUS K8N-DL
Option 2: Tyan Thunder K8WE
Option 3: Iwill's DK8ES

Things to consider (enthusiast & multimedia artist PoV):
- PCIe for my 6899 ultra/radeon x850
- SATA RAID
- nForce4 chipset
- Hypertransport link speed
- any other parameter u feel i am missing out on, please mention

Votes Please.

P.S.: I cudn't find one at Gigabyte or MSI...if any1 aware, pls share

MadMax
04-17-2005, 08:27 PM
Option 1: ASUS K8N-DL
Option 2: Tyan Thunder K8WE
Option 3: Iwill's DK8ES

Asus will defintely be a good board and feature loaded.

Tyan has something the Asus does not. SLI with EACH card maintaining 16x.

iWill is also a great choice.

I opted for Tyan's myself. If cost is a factor for you, Asus is going to be the best bet. iWill will fit between the Tyan and Asus pricewise.

- SATA RAID
- nForce4 chipset

You've chosen among the best.

lots
04-17-2005, 11:01 PM
I'd have to go with what madmax says.. I opted for the K8WE, but if price is a concern go for the Asus, its got all the same features, minus the SLI..

pcpower
04-18-2005, 07:07 AM
- SATA RAID
- nForce4 chipset
You've chosen among the best.

What is PCIe for the video card mean?
What is SATA RAID? Does it differ from normal RAID setups?
What's an nForce4 chipset?

Sorry about the nooblike questions, but im considering an Opteron rig soon...

MadMax
04-18-2005, 02:25 PM

PCI-E is a slot type, like PCI slots or AGP slot. It's the new video format.

SATA = Serial ATA. it's a new form factor for hard drives. gaining rapid popularity.

nForce4 is the system chipset for the motherboard made by nVidia. it's probably the most feature packed chipset on the market for ANY platform, and boards with the nForce chipsets make up about 50% of the entire 64 bit market for AMD.

Lord Banshee
04-18-2005, 08:41 PM
Last tests I've seen showed that the ASUS K8N-DL did not turn on the NUMA support. Has this been fixed?

MadMax
04-18-2005, 09:19 PM
Last tests I've seen showed that the ASUS K8N-DL did not turn on the NUMA support. Has this been fixed?

where did you see this?

Lord Banshee
04-19-2005, 03:35 AM
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=asusnf4pro&page=6

Do you have any other reviews of this mobo?

Reread that page and it has an update stateing the below

Update 2/10/05 : Asus has contacted us, stating that an upcoming BIOS will fix our memory performance issues and will indeed enable NUMA support for this motherboard. We plan on re-running our benchmarks with this new BIOS, so stay tuned!

poly-phobic
04-19-2005, 05:14 AM

i saw you other posts about "what computer to get"
and im wondering, if ure such a noobie at computers, what kind of production u are planning to do that requires you to get such a highend system....

Joel Hooks
04-19-2005, 02:46 PM
I just put together a box with the K8WE and a pair of 244 Opterons. It is fantastic. Fan-f-ing-tastic.

InclininWirefree
04-19-2005, 08:25 PM
Joel...appreciate the inputs

I initially had dual-250s as part of my dream machine but have to settle for dual-246s coz they're almost half the price...so i am wondering how much am i losing on processing power...i dont reckon there'd b mch going for dual-250s taking price-performance ratio into consideration...??

went out scouring the Net but didn't find any 244 vs 246 vs 250 real-world test results...i wonder how much of a difference wud there b...any ideas fellas?

Lord Banshee...u're right abt that lil' comment they added later to the asus mobo review at gamepc...moreover, i think they've done a pretty neat & clear job at addressing the fact that the piece they tested was indeed a test sample and wud defer atleast in terms of BIOS from the launch versions...

any dual-opteron mobo shootouts?

cheers guys!

motoxpress
04-19-2005, 11:54 PM
I am actually considering a dual opteron rig myself. I am wondering if SLI has any future in the 3D modeling/Animation world though - with Maya or Softimage.

This is what I am currently looking at:

Tyan 2895
(2) 246 CPUs (hopefully duel core)
1 gig of ram (to start)
6800GT (1 to start and add a 2nd later)
sata raid w/ ncq

What yall think? This will be a video/fx workstation with AE, Combustion, Maya and probably PPro.

gl

novadude
04-20-2005, 12:02 AM
I doubt SLI has a future at all, atleast not in its current configuration (but then it isn't SLI any longer). SLI seems like a last minute hack (alright, so they implemented some old 3dfx tech. Guess what? It didn't keep 3dfx around) done to steal ATI's thinder in the gaming arena because the driver support is only available for the most popular and newest games. SLI doesn't work at high resolutions, being limited to 1920x1200, nor does it work under linux. Until they stand behind it and get all of the bugs worked out, it's still a niche product in my book. ATI's AMR is the way to go, as the resolution isn't limited by the throughput of the bridge chip and it will work out of one PCI-E slot because both GPU's are on one piece of silicon.

io-d
04-20-2005, 02:16 AM
What I can say... Iīve been using dual Tyan mobos for sometime now and I can say that itīs worth every cent you pay. And it never let me down in any way.

CGTalk Moderation
04-20-2005, 02:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.