PDA

View Full Version : AfterFX 6.5 freezes

Nicool
04-17-2005, 05:25 PM
Hi!

Why After FX 6.5 pro on WinXP sometimes freezes for 3 to 10 seconds. It often happens when I wanna move a layer in view or move the time marker in the timeline. Even in really simple projects. That's hawful Do you have this problem too? Do you know what's its origin or how to solve it ?

Thx :)

Shinjipierre
04-17-2005, 07:28 PM
get rid of windows :p

Nah, just kidding. It might be because of your RAM and your SWAP.

TRick
04-17-2005, 08:39 PM
Do you have another default application (instead of Windows Media Player) for playing your media files, like Nero Media Player ? This can cause problems in AfterFX !!!

dwkim
04-17-2005, 09:22 PM
If you have the OpenGL acceleration turned on, try turning that off. Also check your graphics card settings for transparency overlays, and other "features" that may be slowing AE down.

interference
04-18-2005, 09:45 AM
hi !
same problem here ! AE freeze... and it does not depends of the number of layers or any special effect used... and this problem happens only with AE6.5, no problem with the version 6 or other software... i really think that it comes from AE but...

Nicool
04-18-2005, 10:01 AM
Well, Thank you for replies all.

I've a good config 1G Ram, Huge Disk (configured in AE preferences), P4 3 GHz. Instead of Windows Media *ucker, may I use Quicktime? I'll try with various OpenGl display setup. interference, I'm with you :thumbsup:

TRick
04-18-2005, 11:40 AM
FWIW:

I also had these lags (5 to even 30 seconds), but after removing Nero Media Player the lags were gone. Since AFX is a full OGL app it should handle OGL with all its features. I also has nothing to do with RAM or project size. So the only thing you should look in to, is if any other applications are interfering: especially programs that touch the GDI modules of your graphics system. I have a clean boot on which I can test software in such cases and that's how I found that Nero Media Player was interfering. I also have a log which registers all things that are happening on my workstation: very convenient if you need to know which programs may interfere with others. If you found the problem it can even make a difference in which order some programs are installed. Very strange, but even REinstalling Windows Media Player 10 may help...;)

interference
04-19-2005, 02:59 PM
brothers in bugs !
yes...thanks man i'll check this...the solution might be somewhere there :)

NeoGeniX
04-20-2005, 01:27 PM
I've also had these problems...also plenty of ram and hd space.. Its pretty weird I only had it on one project another project I didn't have any problems at all.

interference
04-22-2005, 09:31 AM
i'm just updating to 6.5.1, i'll keep you aware if the problem is over !

Nicool
04-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Yeah thank you interference would be nice to have every body to notify us when the problem is solved (and how it went).

mpkliewer
04-22-2005, 08:34 PM
I experienced a similar problem when testing the demo version of AE 6.5 Professional (I have AE 5.0 Std, and have no problems with it). Usually it would occur when I tried to RAM preview a section - the screen would freeze and certain windows would blank to white, and this would last from a few seconds to a few minutes, depending on the complexity of the timeline. I utterly hate troubleshooting, namely because I am a moron at these sorts of things and it takes an annoyingly long time to discover a solution for me, so I tried purging within AE (under the edit menu, then purge, then I usually purge all, though there are choices for undo and more individually). This is of course a temporary solution, as you have to purge relatively often, but for me it was quicker than spending potentially hours finding the source of the problem. So, if you're as lazy as me, maybe this will work for you until you find the source of the problem, if the problem is the same as mine....

CGTalk Moderation
04-22-2005, 08:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.