PDA

View Full Version : 24p support in fusion HELP ASAP!

c0nica
04-17-2005, 07:09 AM
hey.

i've been using fusion for a little bit, and consider myself to be at least intermediate.
I have always been unsure though about the exact correct procedure for introducing 24p footage into fusion. It never really came up too much until I have noticed that I must be doing it wrong, since I always seem to bring along the interlaced garbage frames. To me, it seems there are a million combinations of settings and file formats: export from premiere as targa seq at 24fps, bring into fusion 24f project? export 29.97 24p file and bring into 29.97 project with 2:3 pullup detection?
My specfic frame in fusion timeline never seems to match the frame in premiere, and, if it does, it will have interlace artifacts.

Would someone please explain the correct procedure from start to finish:
1. original file format
2. fusion project settings
3. loader settings

need help asap for current project!!! email justindisrael@earthlink.net if a faster reply can be given!!!

thanks

vonbon
04-19-2005, 02:53 PM
Learning Myself and kinda confused on what your asking, but. If your not already starting your project using a "BG" (Background Loader) you should. If I remember correctly , once you set the settings for the BG Loader, It'll automatically converts all the footage and files when you import to It's format. The SV Loader's settings will dominate over the BG settings. Might help with the field stuff.

Just curious, why cant you do it all in fusion?

c0nica
05-02-2005, 06:40 PM
Do what all in fusion ? I have my edit that I am completing in Premiere, and I need to take clips out and into fusion for paint work. Recently I found the best solution. I'm using DV Film Maker to just reverse the dv footage into targa quicktimes. This way I can call it strict 24fps, and when im done I can put it back out as the same, or let the saver add the pulldown back in.
I know theoretically, with 24p footage that still contains a pulldown, you set the detect pulldown in the bg tool, but no matter what I did, if the time was right, I would still get some frames coming out interlaced (possibly a BC frame?). I have come to the following conclusions:
1. Adobe Premiere sucks for 24p footage that is not reversed. It obviously is meant to keep the pulldown footage within premiere, and not ready for throwing around to other software packages.
2. Its easier in fusion to just bring in 24p footage that IS reversed already.

Am I correct? Anyone with similar experiences or am I simply retarded?

dprgb
05-03-2005, 07:12 PM
I always render out my 24p from Vegas removing the pulldown before working with it in Combustion or Fusion - just kinda makes my life easier. Also, I think it helps speed things up working with the individual non-interlaced frames. The only catch is to make sure the times match throughout the project, since good ol' NTSC 24p is actually 23.976p. I've just decided to take all the footage I shoot and up the framerate to 24p while comping it, then when I have to put it back to DVD I'll return the framerate to 23.976.

vonbon
05-03-2005, 07:33 PM
what is the pulldown stuff for?

dprgb
05-05-2005, 10:05 PM
Some cameras are able to actually shoot 24 progressive frames per second (no interlace). The Panasonic AG-DVX100 and the Canon XL2 are the only two standard def consumer cameras that can do this.

Thanks to NTSC TV standards, the 24 progressive images get recorded interlaced - one entire progressive frame gets split into 2 or 3 interlace fields. This is done for a variety of reasons, one of the main ones is so you can play the signal on a standard TV set.

Pulldown is the process of converting the footage from the interlaced type to the progressive type. Some TV sets and DVD players do this (they call it 3:2 pulldown).

Whelkn
05-07-2005, 08:02 AM
you can set frames per second as well as what fields you want in the saver at output. you can also change the resolution size and frame per second in the preference panel for that flow or for all flows globally.

Jeremy

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2005, 08:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.