PDA

View Full Version : doing other Projects whilst working !

MajesticSan
02-14-2002, 02:32 PM
I would love to know if all the guys and girls who post fantastic work for the challenges and other online art forums, do these folks actually do any work ? or do the not sleep at all ?

I'm in the process of doing a new website, plus produce as much
art and animation as possible ! Not mention I try to have an active
social life which means wineing and dining women as well as getting out and about in London !

How the hell do they doit ?

subagio
02-14-2002, 03:29 PM
Simple you silly geezer. You're an artist. YOU get wined and dined :)

--C

MajesticSan
02-14-2002, 03:46 PM
Oh I see I have a life so there fore I don't have time for other projects ?

Yes sensible answers please !

Jonny Bubonic
02-14-2002, 07:26 PM
No help here, just sympathy. After spending 8-10 hours a day staring at a screen, its pretty hard to go home and do it some more for "fun". Having said that, the enthusiasm of the artists on this forum is kind of infectious...just looking at other people's work is pretty inspiring. What do you reckon?

subagio
02-14-2002, 07:53 PM
Naw silly. It wasn't a put down, I was being sensible. I find that my relationships go one of 2 ways.

One, it's with someone who I like who likes what I do, and therefore is willing to sacrifice to be with/part of me, ignoring the fact that I have precious few hours to spend with them in the week between work at work and 'work' at home.

Two, someone who does do similar, and is as enthusiatic as I am and 'knows'. These are best, but unfortunately happen few and far between. They're best because you get to really share with someone, not just on an aesthetic level (here), an emotional level (love), or companionship model (friends), but all together in one big fiery ball.

Everyone else just ends in tears, or is a quick fling. The above you don't/can't look for, they come to you, or you find each other by sheer serendipity. That's why I was saying YOU get wined and dined by dates, you don't go out wining and dining other people.

--C

MajesticSan
02-14-2002, 11:24 PM
Thats helpfull but still doesn't answer the question. Do these chaps do there private projects at work or do the stay up all night after work, to
get these models done.
would be interesting to know.....

pkaa
02-15-2002, 12:15 PM
You raised a good question.
Even thou I donīt consider my self as a artist or a programmer I started thinking how I have the time.
I am driven by inspiration and learning new things. 4 weeks ago I did a 2week bender where I sat, after work, for another 8 hours to learn vrml and javascript. Last 2 weeks I havenīt done anything productive after work. Just watched episodes of Dark Angel and MacGyver :)

But maybe the real artists are so good they can whip out these amazing models and textures in a flash.

sleep/deprivation/rules/pkaa

jmringuet
02-19-2002, 02:37 AM
People who are really committed to a project usually spend 14 hours a day at least working. I often work 2 or 3 hours at home after my 8 hours day. One of my friends sometimes work 8 hours after work, and sleep only 6 hours a night.
If you want to be successful you have to work hard. I mean really hard.
And the weekend is made for socializing (although good artists don't have a social life ;) ).

pkaa
02-19-2002, 02:34 PM
Black_fish, you are so right, weekends are for socializing.
After a hard week you have to unwind.

clubs/bars/raves/and/alcohol/pkaa

MajesticSan
02-19-2002, 02:39 PM
Yep that makes sense for us working types, in the industry. I'm working 8 hour days at the moment, but at the height of a project I've been working upto 20 hours. Thankfully that only happens when shit hits the fan. I think for the last couple of projects it's been an average of about 16 hours.

Well I'm going to mush on and finish my website so that I can start posting to the challenges forums.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.