PDA

View Full Version : Softimage|XSI october gallery

arvid
10-02-2002, 10:51 AM
Some really nice stuff up this month :)

Softimage|XSI October gallery (http://www.softimage.com/Community/Xsi/Galleries/Gal_Oct02/Gal_Oct02.asp)

Stimpy
10-02-2002, 12:55 PM
yeah, i agree.. the softimage gallery for some strange reason always has its ups and downs.. this one is a UP for sure....

jason-slab
10-02-2002, 01:28 PM
sun city:thumbsup:

wmendez
10-02-2002, 02:12 PM
Indeed it has improved over the months

PotatoHead
10-02-2002, 03:17 PM
the xsi gallery really seems to have serious ups and downs, but this time the pics are really pretty good. what is strange though, that the lw gallery is always top-notch! :beer: :thumbsup:

arvid
10-02-2002, 03:38 PM
Not bad for a 2 year old app huh.. :cool:

Stimpy
10-02-2002, 03:40 PM
i am softimage all the way, but i have to agree with you on that one actually, as far as the user-galleries are concerned...

the LW gallery always seems to be a bit snappier.... though i think that the best stuff that gets done with XSI and Soft|3D , you just will never see in a gallery like this, cause of copyright thingies and stuff... trying to get clearance from the advertising agency, client, etc...

and somehow XSI IS too expensive for your average hobby 3d guy.

Gentle Fury
10-02-2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by opacity
Not bad for a 2 year old app huh.. :cool:

huh?? Softimage has been around for like 15 years!! It was one of the first widely accepted 3d apps. Along with Lightwave (which at the time was a 3d text creator for toaster)

Holyfield
10-02-2002, 09:35 PM
huh?? Softimage has been around for like 15 years!! It was one of the first widely accepted 3d apps. Along with Lightwave (which at the time was a 3d text creator for toaster)

Yes, but thats Softimage|3D, most pictures (if not all) in this gallery are made with Softimage|XSI. Even if the workflow is similar they are both completly diffrent applications.

Thats like comparing Maya with Poweranimator or Max with 3DStudio (dos).

krisr
10-03-2002, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by PotatoHead
the xsi gallery really seems to have serious ups and downs, but this time the pics are really pretty good. what is strange though, that the lw gallery is always top-notch! :beer: :thumbsup:

This is definitely because most of the best stuff is under NDA. Check out the customer stories section for a glimpse of some production pieces.

Customer Stories (http://www.softimage.com/Community/Xsi/Mag/Cs/)

yon dabuda
10-03-2002, 07:05 AM
"This is definitely because most of the best stuff is under NDA"

but that can be said for either side.

i think its just as simple as the lightwave community being larger than sxi's currently. doesnt make it better or worst, just differnet.

arvid
10-03-2002, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Gentle Fury

You do not need to lecture me about Softimage!!!!!!!!!
I've used it about four years before I'd even heard of sumatra, but XSI is not older than 2 years, it has no trace of Softimage|3D except for ideas maybe, ie its completely rewritten, thus it IS two years old. The COMPANY Softimage. Inc is 15 years yes, but Softimage|3D isn't, maybe "Softimage Creative Environment" is though.

Lightwave widely accepted? It has always been and still is a cheap alternative, and just lately with a few highend features, don't compare the two.

yon dabuda
10-03-2002, 08:20 AM
lightwave was rewritten from ver 6 and so along come the new highend features.

i think they are comparable.

"It has always been and still is a cheap alternative"

does that make XSI the always been and still is an "expensive alternative?"

heh, i know how great xsi is. i just wish i could afford it.

arvid
10-03-2002, 08:57 AM
Expensive stuff is usully what people want, not the alternative :D Sort of like Porches and Ferrarris, Lightwave might be the Volvo of 3D apps ;)

Softimage|3D and Lightwave don't really compare, lightwave seems like a solid modeller, and Softimage|3D has always been used for character animation. XSI and Lightwave may be easier to compare...

facial
10-03-2002, 09:01 AM
Nice nice,,,,,,,,,,:wip: :wip:

fastfinger
10-03-2002, 03:47 PM
I completely agree.
Lightwave`s been a SOLID modeler and also loved for it`s beautiful renderer.
and SI`s been famous for it`s character animation tool and 1st class renderer.
I love both. :)

Anyway, what`s the favorite modeling mothod of the Softimage Artists? Polygon? Metamesh Extreme? NURBS? B-Spline Patch?

arvid
10-03-2002, 04:03 PM
For Softimage|3D I guess a mix of NURBS and polys, and metamesh if you have it, but I didn't enjoy modelling very much in Softimage|3D, with XSI it's a completely different story...! Modelling tools kick arse, and the subD (esp. in v3) is truly the best in the world, all categories, if you don't believe me now, just wait and see what v3 can do..! It's insanely fast!
:bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.