PDA

View Full Version : Male / Female User Icon? To avoid confusion...

petteer
04-15-2005, 04:31 PM
What about adding very small bw Male / Female icon? It would be placed in User info panel. Just to avoid confusion when communicating with other users...

Velk
04-15-2005, 04:52 PM
I like this idea in concept, however in reality people may still put missinformation intentianally to avoid people really knowing.
It definately should not be required.

petteer
04-15-2005, 05:24 PM
Hmm, I was thinking the icon would be automaticaly added by filling gender in registration form, however I realized now, that gender status is not included in registration info...

Yes, you're right...Looks like it would induce more confusion than ever... Let's forget about it...:sad:

mathew_er
04-24-2005, 11:03 PM
on to neni zas tak spatnej napad, ale porad lze poznat pohlavi podle krestniho jmena.
ok, english will be better. its not that bad idea but you can still recognize gender by first name...

madart
04-25-2005, 08:37 AM
Well actually, you can't always tell by first name. We come from all over the world, and there are so many names that I see here, that I've never seen or heard before and I can't tell whether they are male or female names. Matej, for example, is totally new to me, and I take it you're a man from looking at your user name, but I might be wrong. Most people seem to think that I am a man, not really looking at my name or not recognizing my first name as a female name.

I don't think it should be obligatory for a male/female icon, but maybe the option could be there. To avoid confusion.

petteer
04-25-2005, 04:24 PM
Well actually, you can't always tell by first name. We come from all over the world, and there are so many names that I see here, that I've never seen or heard before and I can't tell whether they are male or female names.\

This is it! I have my own experience, discussing with other people, here, calling each other "mate", "man", but then "he" showed up as a woman ;) Sometimes it's funny, sometimes not...

madart
04-25-2005, 06:05 PM
\

This is it! I have my own experience, discussing with other people, here, calling each other "mate", "man", but then "he" showed up as a woman ;) Sometimes it's funny, sometimes not...

Exactly, although I don't mind being called a man, but I feel like responding "hey, I'm a woman!". It would have been worse if I would have had a photo of myself and people would call me a guy.... that would not be funny! ;)

deaderthanred
01-08-2006, 04:25 AM
heh i was just going to start a thread to suggest the same thing, but i used the search button first lol

because i rarely draw what normal girls draw, i tend to get mistaken for a guy very often based on my work.

don't get me wrong, i'm not offended at all, but it would be nice to be addressed according to my gender, and not randomly get called "man" (it just feels weird to me, like hearing people call a man "babydoll" :D )

i tried putting my gender in my description but it doesnt really get noticed for some reason :curious: (tho many people do notice it, just not everyone)

and it's hard to think of how to correct people politely without sounding harsh or petty. an optional gender flag/icon would be greatly appreciated :)

Elsie
01-11-2006, 02:20 PM
because i rarely draw what normal girls draw, i tend to get mistaken for a guy very often based on my work.

I have exactly the same issue heh, even though I don't reeeeally know many guys named "Elsie" :shrug: I don't really mind but I agree it would be nice to be able to tell at a glance somebodies gender!

dbates
01-12-2006, 01:35 AM
Maybe Leigh wouldn't be mistaken for a man this way.

CGTalk Moderation
01-12-2006, 01:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.