PDA

View Full Version : question about movie quality...

theillestmc12
04-15-2005, 02:21 PM
how do i make my video..like a real movie like...the quality of the image i mean is that possible in after effects...and u guys know any subtitles turorials for after effects???thx

gardocki
04-15-2005, 04:42 PM
Unfortunately there's no "make it look like a movie" button. Image quality in After Effects (as in any editing or effects package) depends on two very important things.

1.) Resolution
The higher the better. If you're recording off a standard consumer-level camcorder, never work in anything lower than full NTSC resolution (720x486). Unfortunately, this resolution comes nowhere near to approaching movie quality (which is done in resolutions up to 5 or 6 times more than NTSC). If you're simply looking at making movies to play on a TV, however, this ould be overkill.

2.) Camera quality
Camcorders come in all kinds of formats: VHS (or some variation such as C- or S-VHS), Hi-8, MiniDV, etc. The highest quality is generally MiniDV, however this is a compressed format and is not very good if you are trying to do bluescreen compositing.

The second component of camera quality is going to be the number of CCDs that it has. CCDs convert light information into a signal that can be recorded onto tape. Most camcorders have 1 CCD which records light from the entire spectrum (red, green & blue) in one pass. These generally produce passable video for home movies and the like, but are not used by professionals or serious filmmakers. 3 CCD cameras have 1 CCD for each color, but are more expensive. Panasonic makes several good MiniDV consumer-level 3CCD cameras (such as the GS-150 or GS-400) which are reasonably priced (between $500 and $1200 depending on the model).
---------------

Regarding your second question:
Do you mean subtitles as in text that is displayed for translations and things, or Closed Captioning, where the user can turn them on or off?

theillestmc12
04-15-2005, 11:09 PM
thx for replying sir...umm ya i want it to have a closed caption but do i need to burn it to dvd to have closed caption???and about the quality i want it to show a little bit of contrast like when i record something it looks so real it sux its not movie like lol....im using hi 8 anyways :)

brzilian
04-19-2005, 09:21 PM
thx for replying sir...umm ya i want it to have a closed caption but do i need to burn it to dvd to have closed caption???

You do that during the DVD authoring process with a DVD authoring program like Adobe Encore.

and about the quality i want it to show a little bit of contrast like when i record something it looks so real it sux its not movie like lol....im using hi 8 anyways :)

Learn some cinematography techniques and set up lighting properly when shooting.

theillestmc12
04-19-2005, 09:34 PM
so use encore??? i mean i have after effects, premiere, encore..u think i can maybe do something about it in premiere? and thx for replying!...and ya one more thing do u have any suggestion in compression??? :) i cant find the right compressor...ty again!

mdurwin
04-28-2005, 04:39 PM
If you want to add subtitles you need to do it in Encore when you burn the DVD. You'll have to do alot of typing if you don't have the dialogue in digital form like Word, txt, etc.

My video editor has a saying everytime someone brings us a piece of video and wants it to "look like a movie":
"Crap in, Crap out"
In other words, if you don't have quality video to start with, there is very little you can do to fix that. If you crap in a pot, adding bullion won't make a tasty stew. As brzilian says, you'll need some knowledge of lighting and shooting, and better quality equipment. You can do some work with Channels, colors adjustment, etc. but it won't give you Star Wars quality if you've shot birthday quality.

CGTalk Moderation
04-28-2005, 04:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.