PDA

View Full Version : how to speed up painter 9, please help

digital victim
04-15-2005, 07:56 AM
hi,

i'm new here and hope someone can help. i've checked the threads on simillar issues with p 6-8, but i'm using 9 and wonder if there's anything extra i can do. i did all the basics like undos and increasing memory used.

the main problem is working with large brushes. i use pretty simple ones -- pens, felt pens>design marker, and airbrushes. however burushes over with size over 50 start to track really slow (precise cursor gets really slow), and when i go over 150 things get really bad, with the brushstroke slowing a lot also. when i zoom out very far (10%) it gets a little faster, but still that's not a decent workaround.

my sys is dell laptop 1.4 pentium m (or centrino? one of the later ones) 2Gb ram, FX5200 64MB video, enough memory on the hd, 1920x1200 screen and win xp home SP 2...

any help appreciated. thanks.

Jinbrown
04-15-2005, 11:36 AM
Hi,

Here's an edited excerpt from one of my posts in another thread last year that should help (edited to bring it up to date with Painter IX since it was originally written for a Painter 7 user):

Someone had suggested a particular brush control adjustment in the previous post so the first paragraph below is in response to his comment.

I think you mean the Cubic Interpolation slider found in the Painter 8 Brush Creator, Stroke Designer tab's Spacing section. (In Painter IX, that would be either in the Brush Creator, Stroke Designer tab's Spacing section or in the Brush Controls' Spacing palette.) Moving it to 0 does speed up brushstroke rendering when the brush size is at 100 or above (on my system).

In the Size section (or Brush Controls' Size palette), you can move the Feature slider to the right to decrease bristle density which will also speed up brushstroke rendering. You'll need to experiment to find the happy medium between speed and two-low bristle density.

Many other setting adjustments can be made to affect how your brushstrokes render. Study the Painter User Guide and the brush controls, experiment, and take notes when something works.

It may also help if you uncheck the Enable Brush Ghosting box in Edit > Preferences > General.

Another thing some professional artists do is (these dimensions are only used as an example - note that at each of the second two stages, the image dimensions are doubled and the Resolution, or ppi number, is doubled from 75 ppi to 150 ppi, then from 150 ppi to 300 ppi):

Open a new Canvas at 500 x 400, 75 ppi and block in large areas of color.

Use Canvas > Resize and change the dimensions to 1000 x 800 and the Resolution to 150 ppi, then paint large details.

Use Canvas > Resize and change the dimensions to 2000 x 1600 and the Resolution to 300 ppi, then paint small details and clean up the painting for final use, printing included.

Using this method of three stages, the artist can paint with smaller brush sizes at each stage and the image should retain good quality at each stage, then be ready for printing when the final stage is completed.

Other things can also affect Painter's performance. To learn what they are, go to the Sticky thread named Attention! Look in here before posting a question! (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=175627) at the top of this forum. It contains links to other threads. Click the link named Keeping Painter 6, Painter 7, and Painter 8 Running Smoothly. Then practice those suggestions.

One exception is the suggestion regarding the Pre-built Brush File. In Painter IX, that file has an automatic maximum size of 200 MB, the idea being that it won't need to be deleted as we did in earlier Painter versions. If you decide to delete it, no harm is done and Painter IX will generate a new Pre-built Brush File the next time the program is launched.

Jinny

digital victim
04-16-2005, 06:56 AM
Jinny,

Thanks so much. I like this increasing the res approach -- it makes a lot of sense.

I was trying to find the pre-built brush file, but couldn't. Where is it located in P9?

Once again, thanks.

Anton

Jinbrown
04-16-2005, 11:28 PM
Hi,

With Painter IX multi-user support is included and the installed files located in the Program Files folder are read only.

Custom files, user preferences, etc. are located in the User folder. For Windows users, the location is:

C:/Documents and Settings/[user name]/Application Data/Corel/Corel Painter IX

CGTalk Moderation
04-16-2005, 11:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.